The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2023, 12:16 AM   #176
Marco Califo

Quote:
Without some kind of vetting or confirmation this can be exploited on threads like this to lure unsuspecting victims in.
We were talking about MidwayUSA and Powder Valley. Which was exploitive? Anyway, click at your own risk is normal, and with the informed readers here . . whatever you are suggesting? Bad links get called out or removed, thus, I do not recall any recently.
Midway no longer has those CCI LPP available. "Time is of the essence".

Last edited by Marco Califo; March 11, 2023 at 03:50 PM.
Old March 11, 2023, 01:36 PM   #177
Metal god

Yeah I had to put some thought to stags point . I can see a fraudster come to sights like this and post links to there own scam pages . I agree Midway and Powder Valley are not sights we need to worry about . However I have seen on other gun forums member’s warning of fraudulent sights they were burned at .

I wouldn’t know how you could police such a thing other then maybe a minimum membership time line or minimum amount of post

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 17, 2023, 11:36 AM   #178
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgolfer29 View Post
I added 2 bricks to the shopping cart, but a shipping cost was added to the total.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Just tried a new order. 2 bricks at $67.15/ea added $19.95 shipping. 3 bricks went to Free Shipping. In both cases, OH sales tax is added.

My original order must've grabbed a $99 shipping special.

In any case...orders fill and ship quickly.
Old March 20, 2023, 12:01 PM   #179
Unclenick
Staff

There are some common signs of fraud. Refusal to accept credit cards is one of them. If the payments are all by Zell or other intermediate payment services, it almost always turns out to be a fraudulent site. I've looked at the site information on Whois and ICANN (which use different methods). If you find the owner or contact phone number is in Cameroon or some other country, that's a sure sign of fraud for munitions-related items. Some, however, hide that information by going through an anonymizing service like anonymizer.com or 2ip.io or DreamHost.com or others. If you see a registration come through one of those, you almost certainly are looking at a site from another country that has been made to look like it is inside the USA. If the site gives an address, use Maps.Google.com to get a street view of the place. If it turns out nothing is there or it is a residence or other business or other suspicious looking place, stand clear. The Kaspersky site has a primer on identifying scam sites.

Some of these sites have been reported to authorities repeatedly, but remain up. I don't know what it takes to bring a fraud site down, but it must be like moving a mountain. Even ones with U.S. addresses that have been reported to the FBI and police nonetheless remain up. Chances are the actual site owner is anonymizing and just picked the address out a phonebook or from Google maps and the poor owner is having his property title searched and his name reported to authorities when he has nothing to do with it. Forged address just like forged phone numbers. The scammers are sociopaths in that they care only about their own wants and have no compunctions about sacrificing anyone else's needs to fullfill their own.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 20, 2023, 12:41 PM   #180
stagpanther

It doesn't take a bad guy to log on here and post a fraudulent link (though that is theoretically possible)--it could simply be a well-meaning post by someone who did a search with the intent of "hey guys, look what I found". That could then suck some people into buying. I think what Uncklenick post is a good primer (obviously everyone knows the usual suspects like Midway, Midsouth, P Valley etc don't need that) though I personally look for "too good to be true" signs, repetitious bad grammar etc. Then I'll google "is XXX legit" and see what comes up; as well as BBB complaints and other rating services. I've only been totally had once by a firearms business--blackjack bullets--and that was only because they were legitimate before they decided to stiff people with outstanding orders.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 20, 2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old March 21, 2023, 11:33 AM   #181
Marco Califo

Back on Topic

Natchez currently has 10 different primers in stock:
https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/...tock_only=true
but no Large Rifle.
But, I don't know maybe it is a scam or click bait
Old March 21, 2023, 11:47 AM   #182
stagpanther

Quote:
Natchez currently has 10 different primers in stock:
https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/...tock_only=true
but no Large Rifle.
But, I don't know maybe it is a scam or click bait
They don't accept returns of used undergarments.
Old March 21, 2023, 12:21 PM   #183
Marco Califo

Quote:
They don't accept returns of used undergarments.
Is that something an aluminum gas check could have prevented?
Old March 21, 2023, 02:38 PM   #184
stagpanther

Quote:
Is that something an aluminum gas check could have prevented?
Hmmm...my feeble brain powers haven't deciphered that one. But their policy does actually say that.
Old March 21, 2023, 03:31 PM   #185
Metal god

FWIW I'm looking for Winchester LP primers if anyone comes across any

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 21, 2023, 04:14 PM   #186
Marco Califo

The only LP I have seen are at Natchez. They are magnum. They are CCI and $110.
Natchez has primers in stock, but are pricy.
Old March 31, 2023, 08:55 PM   #187
akinswi

Seems to be shortage on LP primers lately… figures when I started loading for 45acp again. Midway seems to have an ok selection on sp and sr primers
Old April 1, 2023, 05:52 PM   #188
Smoke & Recoil

Primers in stock

Diamond K Brass
Advertising many primers in stock.
Old April 3, 2023, 12:27 PM   #189
Metal god

Has anyone gone to any gunshows lately. I’m going to one in AZ later this month . I figure they will have primers ? If not that trip may be a waste of time and gas .

Old April 3, 2023, 03:18 PM   #190
ghbucky

I did a search of the thread and don't see any references to https://reloadingunlimited.com/

I was suspicious of them when they popped up in a search, but I checked them out and looked legit from everything I could find. Only accept Credit card payments, and limited on #s of stock you could load into the shopping cart. (2 of my tests).

I've ordered 5000 CCI SPP and 4lbs of PowerPistol from them and they were delivered.
Old April 25, 2023, 08:51 AM   #191
ghbucky

Just got an email from powder valley,

1 day sale on Servicios Aventuras Small Pistol Primers
$71.99 for 1000... hard to believe that is a bargain.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/prod...istol-primers/
Old May 12, 2023, 10:25 AM   #192
Marco Califo

Natchez has Large Pistol and Large Rifle (Cci #34) in stock @ $130.
High price. But first Large anything I have seen for a while.
Old May 12, 2023, 10:30 AM   #193
stagpanther

Natchez can have a rather broad definition of what "in stock" means in my experience.
Old May 12, 2023, 11:08 AM   #194
Marco Califo

Quote:
Natchez can have a rather broad definition of what "in stock" means in my experience.
I don't think so, but stock for scarce items moves fast, and now the LPP are gone. You snooze, you lose.
Old May 13, 2023, 07:34 PM   #195
akinswi

Been looking for 34s for awhile bought a brick .

Thanks Marco
Old June 20, 2023, 10:04 AM   #196
Marco Califo

www.Midsouthshooterssupply.com has 19 primers in stock this morning (up from 11 two days ago), including various Large Rifle and Large Pistol.

Last edited by Marco Califo; June 20, 2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old June 20, 2023, 10:37 AM   #197
stagpanther

Thanks Marco--I rushed so fast to buy a couple boxes of the #34 I didn't even notice the 250's wre also available for much less!!! Can't believe I just paid $300 for two 2 bricks of #34--but that should keep my big magnums flying for another year or two.
Old June 20, 2023, 05:45 PM   #198
akinswi

Im not far from clarksville may take a trip down there
Old June 29, 2023, 09:22 AM   #199
Marco Califo

Www.Midsouthshooterssupply.com and www.natchezss.com
Each have 10+ primers in stock. Grafs, Midway and Powder Valley also seem to have improving supplies
I do not think there is a need for more exotic auctions and pull-down Primer alternate supply channels.
Old July 10, 2023, 02:28 PM   #200
stagpanther

For those that might be interested in precision rimfire ammo--Oberle Enterprises has some RWS R-100 available. It's only by the brick or case. I'm not brave (or rich) enough to buy a case without first knowing the lot number is a good fit for my rifle--though generally even a "bad" lot usually shoots better than anything else out of my CZs.