The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 20, 2021, 08:16 PM   #1
dyl

outdoor ranges in Georgia?

Hey folks, I'm going to be moving to Georgia, near Kennesaw / Marietta. Are there any outdoor rifle ranges? The only thing I've found is "The Governer's" - something or other. A massive indoor range that will cost around $20 for an hour for pistol or 100 yard rifle.

Unless I find something outdoors, I may have to say adios to my steel targets for a while.

Where I am now, I have access to an outdoor 300 yard rifle range which doubles as a pistol range ( you just set up closer to the berm) and usually no one else is there. It was $50 for a year with no other requirements. I don't think I'll find anything like it again. Unless you all know of something. Anything like this down in Georgia?
Old March 21, 2021, 01:28 AM   #2
eflyguy

River Bend Gun Club.

Governers is just an indoor range. 100yd is shot thru a tube. No outdoor. All the other local ranges are 25yd.

The are WMA-managed ranges around the state, I go to one in Dalton, but 100yds paper targets only.
Old March 21, 2021, 05:05 PM   #3
dyl

Thanks eflyguy, will look into River Bend Gun club for sure.
Old March 23, 2021, 07:25 AM   #4
jmr40

I shoot here. Just west of Rome literally bordering the Alabama state line.

https://www.floydcountywildlifeclub.com/

If you locate on the north end of Cobb county it isn't terribly far, just over an hour away. If you choose to live in south Cobb the distance isn't that much farther, but the traffic getting all the way across Cobb county will add a lot of time to the drive.

There are at least 2 regular members who make the drive from Marietta quite often. They are Vietnam vets who come 3-4 times/month. They pack a lunch and spend the day. They tell me it is well worth the drive to them.

This is a full service outdoor club with camping, fishing, all the shotgun sports and limited hunting (archery only). For an additional fee there is also the option for a hunting club on land near the actual club. We have a club house where social events are held at various times each year.

The rifle range officially goes to 300 yards, but some members have steel plates hanging from trees at 350 and 400 yards.

The handgun range is 25 yards back to back with the rifle range. They are only 30-40' apart, but since you're shooting in opposite directions they work independently. Of course if you want to shoot a handgun farther you can shoot from the rifle side.

Price isn't cheap. I pay $250/year for membership. I can pay $5/visit for the rifle range, or $25 for a yearly pass. Dues come April 1. I just wrote them a check for $275. If you're over 65 the dues are significantly less, but I'm not certain of the amount. But I'm thinking about 1/2 that. There is also a $200 initiation fee for 1st year members. If you join after April 1 the dues are pro-rated for the months remaining until the next April.

Through the week the rifle/pistol range isn't usually crowded. Lots more shooters on the shotgun areas. About 1/2 the time I'm by myself about half the time the 2 guys from Marietta show up and it is just us 3. Every now and then 1-2 more people. The only time I'll go on weekends is sometimes on Sunday mornings right at 1st light. If I can do what I need to do and be gone by 10 or 11 I usually am by myself. Won't go near the place on Saturday's.

The Club is open 7 days/week, but no shooting of any kind on Monday's. That is clean up and maintenance day.

Winston Churchill
Old March 23, 2021, 08:51 AM   #5
eflyguy

I looked at FCWC and it looks great. When I retire, if I continue shooting, I might join. It's about 90 minutes for me from East Cobb with no traffic (ride dirt bikes in Cedartown.)

The big draw for the WMA site I mentioned is it's $5 per visit, and done. The drawback is the 100-yd, paper-only restriction, and closed Sundays. Choose your poison.

(We're shooting scaled paper silhouettes for fun..)
Old March 23, 2021, 06:21 PM   #6
PolarFBear

dyl. There is Chestnut Mt. WMA outdoor range NW of Calhoun in Sugar Valley. Head N on I-75, exit at Resaca. Take GA 136 (Resaca-LaFayette) Road. It is about an hour from "Town Center at Cobb". Remote and quiet, don't go alone.
Old March 24, 2021, 07:54 AM   #7
eflyguy

That's the one I was referring to.

100yd only, paper targets only.
Old March 25, 2021, 09:31 AM   #8
eflyguy

By the way, the RBGC matches are for anyone, not just members. We shoot rifle matches there regularly, and I've shot USPSA - they have a FANTASTIC facility for that.

You may get your "fix" just by competing.
Old March 28, 2021, 06:15 AM   #9
BCR1

There is the CRC in Chattanooga. A little farther than Dalton but a whole lot safer. We actually have a few Atlanta area members. The only downside is a two+ year wait on regular membership but seniors, 65+, there is no wait for the next new member orientation in August 2021. https://www.chattanoogarifleclub.org/

Bill
Old April 1, 2021, 06:29 AM   #10
FordV8

Georgia Mountain Shooting Association... in Lavonia.

http://www.gmsaclub.com/
Old April 1, 2021, 03:42 PM   #11
dyl

Thanks all for the input. Will check these out after I get there.