The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 3, 2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Barkingfish60

Shooting left of center

I saw an old thread on this and appreciated the replies. I know I need to keep practicing.

What is perplexing is that I seem to shoot a "full" size much better than I do my compact....

My EDC is an FNS9c and I also have and love a PPQ 45. My PPQ shots are generally dead on. The FNS - not so much. I have heard the two triggers are making the difference. Perhaps so. BUT when I shoot a P320 full size vs the compact, I get the same result. Time to carry large?

fns9cvppq45.JPG
Old April 3, 2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Sharkbite

99% of the time low/left (for a right handed shooter) is a trigger control issue. Jurking the trigger as the sights are aligned causes the muzzle to move down and to the support side as the shot is fired. That motion is lost in recoil, but happens just the same.

Do some ball and dummy drills with a friend loading the gun and the motion will be apparent.
Old April 3, 2018, 06:31 PM   #3
LilPewPew

Are you trying the old style of one hand pushing and one hand pulling? If so switch to the "thumbs forward grip" look it up on youtube and this will help with recoil and placement.
Old April 3, 2018, 06:40 PM   #4
Rangerrich99

There are at least a couple things that are probably going on at the split fraction of a second before the trigger breaks that is causing your rounds to land low and left.

Rather than go into all of the reasons for your issue(s), here's just about the quickest way to fix that problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAEe8URFpiY

I wish I could explain exactly why you (and just about everyone else, including me) seem to see this problem in our shooting more with smaller guns vs. larger ones. But I can't. I just know it happens more often with smaller guns, and that it's tied to proper mechanics. If you can press the trigger without moving the gun (much, it does move no matter what you do), then you'll see this problem less, even with smaller guns.
Old April 4, 2018, 03:04 AM   #5
ms6852

Many shooters will print out shooting wheels as their targets. These provides them with instant feedback.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/dd/e6/de/d...f31997cdb0.jpg
Old April 4, 2018, 02:38 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

You're jerking the trigger. The sight alignment in the aiming area looks good, so you quickly and aggressively pull on the trigger, instead of building positive pressure until the shot breaks.
Tightening fingers means you're changing how you're holding the pistol.
Go here.
http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/Pi...t_Analysis.pdf
Old April 4, 2018, 06:50 PM   #7
ms6852

This also shows bullet impact by sight alignment .
http://www.handgunsmag.com/files/201...ooting_002.jpg