The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 8, 2018, 12:59 PM   #26
MrBorland

Quote:
I compensated by purchasing exercise equipment for the house, and I work out 6 days a week after work while catching up on the news.
+1.

There are opportunities to get some activity in your day if you look for them. That "old man sound" is your body's ways of telling you to move and get some of that weight off.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:44 PM   #27
Rob228

Self motivation can be the biggest challenge to getting fit. Today's smartwatches and fitness trackers do a ton for showing you what you are currently doing and what you can do better. Plus, if you shell out the $ for one, you'll feel obligated to take more steps in a day.

I bought a Garmin Fenix 5 (upgraded to my old Tactix 2B) mostly for the GPS function, but its fitness software has definitely made me step up my game.

When I was 10 or so my parents put me in Karate with an old Okinawan guy (I was living in upstate NY at the time, its just a fortunate coincidence that I'm on my second Okinawa tour, though I no longer do any martial arts). One of the lessons that he drilled into his students repeatedly was that "Self defense is a lifestyle. Self defense is waking up at a reasonable hour and eating healthy. Self defense is exercising. Self defense is taking care of yourself daily" Even if you have no interest in self defense, the same can be applied to any style of marksmanship. Especially when it comes to position shooting. The only reason I can pull off 241 out of 250 on the USMC rifle qual is because I am flexible enough to sit on top of my foot in the kneeling.