The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 17, 2017, 03:23 AM   #1
AzShooter

What to focus on for the first shot?

I shoot Steel Challenge matches in the Rimfire Open Pistol class. I use a Ruger Mark IV with a C-More red dot sight and a 12 minute dot so I can pick it up fast.

Starting at a low ready, pointing the gun at a pole in front of the first targets I would keep my eyes on the dot and on the whistle I'd move the sight onto the first target. I changed this week after a great practice session while concentrating on the first target and then bringing the gun to the target and firing as soon as the sight hit the center of the target.

After that I would move my eyes to the next target and push the gun towards it and releasing the shot as the gun was centered. This helped me pick up a great amount of speed and accuracy.

What do you concentrate on and why? The target or the dot?
Old December 12, 2017, 01:28 AM   #2
badbot

for me it is the target. I do not have a dot ;-(....
I'm so old I still use sight black.
Old January 21, 2018, 07:54 PM   #3
bamaranger

focus

Can't believe we only got one reply on this post, so I'm going to bring it back.

I think the accepted technique for shooting multiple targets, and what works best for me is to focus on the target, while bringing the sight picture into your line of sight. At that point, your focus shifts to the front sight, or with a dot, onto the dot, as the target blurs and one presses the shot away.

The logic is that your hands (holding the gun) go most efficiently to the point your eyes send them. My experience is that if you try and bring the gun and sight picture up to the target, or from target to target, you will almost always drastically overrun and have to heavily refine the sight picture before making the shot. That all takes more time, and if one is prepping the trigger in the latter stages of the presentation, misses as well.

Remember though that once your sight picture appears in your field of view, your focus goes to the front sight, or the dot.