The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 19, 2023, 11:55 AM   #1
Sriracha

Training for both red dot and iron sights?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a red dot for a full size, home security pistol. However, I want to stick with iron sights for a convenient, pocket-carry .38 and .380.

My worry is that training to focus on the target with a red dot will un-train me from focusing on front iron sights. Does anybody have experience training with both? Or is it better to stick with one type?

Thanks,
- Sriracha
Old May 19, 2023, 12:06 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I shot irons for many years, then transitioned to red dots a few years back. I can’t speak for everyone, but for myself my iron sight shooting has improved since using a red dot. I don’t find the skills mutually exclusive.
Old May 19, 2023, 02:35 PM   #3
cslinger

How do you shoot today? I ask because I’ve always shot handguns both eyes open and fairly target focused (yes I do use front sight but still both eyes open).

I ask/say that because I’ve never had issue using a pistol optic or irons but I think the fact that I naturally run both eyes open and more target focused makes that a fairly easy transition for me.

If you are a one eye closed hard sight focus guy you might have a learning curve with optics but I think they will ultimately make you a better irons shooter. The optic will absolutely show you presentation and trigger press failings and help you correct them.

All in all I think folks think too much about this stuff. It’s just another tool/technique to learn. It won’t take away from other things you practice or know. It’s like learning to shoot DA/SA and Strikers. Contrary to popular belief one can actually learn to do both. .

I actually just got back from the range where my purpose was to run my dot ….
Occluded
Off
Back up irons only
No sights just dot housing.

I ran the back up irons just as well as the dot so no worries you should be fine.
Old May 20, 2023, 01:18 PM   #4
Pahoo

Mostly accepting the "natural" process

Quote:
I shot irons for many years, then transitioned to red dots a few years back. I can’t speak for everyone, but for myself my iron sight shooting has improved since using a red dot. I don’t find the skills mutually exclusive.
This has pretty much, been my experience. I actually find the RedDot experience, natural. Not much "training" involved; mostly, believing. Goes without saying that one will handicap themselves if you don't keep both eyes open. .......

Be Safe !!!
Old May 20, 2023, 05:28 PM   #5
Mike38

Don't focus on the target with a dot sight, focus on the dot just like you would with the front sight. Just last night I shot a practice 1800 .22LR only. 180 rounds of Bullseye (Precision Pistol) the first 90 with a pistol that has a dot sight, the second 90 with a pistol with iron sights. I shot a 822-15x with the dot sight and a 817-18x with the iron sights. Only 5 points difference between the two. I focus on the dot.
Old May 20, 2023, 09:43 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Training for both red dot and iron sights?

The general advice with shooting a red dot on a pistol seems to be a target focus where you superimpose the dot on top of your point of aim. I find staring at the dot artificially slows me down. One of the advantages of using a red dot on a pistol from a defensive standpoint is it’s easier to maintain a target/threat focus. YMMV.
Old May 20, 2023, 10:18 PM   #7
stephen426

If your carry is a pocketable .380 or .38 revolver, you are most likely dealing with a fairly small handgun with crappy sights. A red dot negates the short sight radius of smaller guns. I am much more precise with my red dot that I am with iron sights, especailly at greater distances. I used to carry a Springfield Armory Hellcat with iron sights, but bought another one with the Hex Wasp optic. The red dot is a game changer for smaller guns. I can still shoot iron sights just fine with larger guns (longer sight radius), but I am way better with a red dot on my sub-compact carry gun.

Can you lose your skills with iron sights if you only practice red dot? I believe that you can. Just make sure to practice with your iron sighted guns as much as you practice with the red dot. If anything, shooting a red dot can improve your sight alignment with iron sights. You have to present the gun to your eye at eye level in order to see the dot. This may sound obvious, but with iron sights, you can look over the top of the sights and still be fairly accurate. Once you get used to presenting the gun so the red dot is on target, your irons will be dead on every time.
Old May 21, 2023, 07:38 PM   #8
L. Boscoe

like an old mentor of mine said " it's just like catching the (veneral disease)
you gotta get exposed"
As a fairly serious bullseye shooter, I focus on either the front sight or the
dot, where they are is the target-you have to move to make the target change, just keep the dot or the front sight on whatever is the target.
It doesn't matter dot or iron as long as you do the above.
Old May 26, 2023, 08:03 AM   #9
Sriracha

Thank you everyone for your insights!
Whether focusing on the dot or the target, it seems that many of you think there will be no problem adjusting to both sights so long as one practices.
I'll have to contemplate the possibility of getting another CCW that can take a red dot, but for now, the sheer convenience and simplicity of a compact pocket-carry J-frame or .380 are hard to beat.

- Sriracha
Old May 26, 2023, 10:47 AM   #10
Pahoo

Again, trust the natural process

Quote:
Whether focusing on the dot or the target, it seems that many of you think there will be no problem adjusting to both sights so long as one practices.
Excuse my correction on some terms or thought but in use, there really is little or no "practicing" or "adjusting", to be made ......

Just super-impose the dot on you target and it's yours. Working together, your eye and mind will get the job done. It is important to keep both eyes open and trust the process. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 27, 2023, 02:23 PM   #11
gwpercle

Not much training with a red dot sight . You put the dot on the target and squeeze trigger ... target is hit .
Iron sights need training ... you have to "see" the rear sight , front sight and the target ... things get real busy trying to "see" three things at once .

Warning during a "serious encounter" you will experience tunnel vision and your brain will zoom in on the "target" ...you won't really see the sights or very much outside that small tunnel of vision ... and don't be surprised by the slow motion ...things slow down to a crawl . Try your best to keep the sights in your vision ... A red dot is easy to see.
Gary
Old June 17, 2023, 10:45 PM   #12
stephen426

I would like to add that my red dot started acting up today while I was with my practical shooting club. I drew my gun, pointed at the target, and zip... Where the hell is my dot? I am pretty good at pointing the pistol so it is pretty much on target and quickly picking up the dot for final sight confirmation. After a split second, I reverted to the iron sights and continued shooting. This was the Hex Dragonfly sight on a Springfield Armory Prodigy if anyone is curious. There is a lifetime warranty on the sight and 5 years on the electronics so I'm going to call them up Monday.

The same thing happened to me during a class and I had to revert to irons. I was shooting my Sig P320 XFive and I had the Sig Romeo sight mounted to it. The issue was my holster was hitting the power button and turning the red dot off. I cut a notch in the holster and the issue stopped.

My point in sharing this is your brain has to be engaged and you have to be able to quickly revert to your iron sights. The Prodigy with the Hex Dragonfly is great for co-witnessing. The Romeo 1 on the Sig P320 XFive sucks for co-witnessing. The Sig Romeo 1 replaces the rear sight and you just get a small notch and two dots to aim.
Old June 22, 2023, 01:45 PM   #13
jrinne0430

I too am new to the red dot on pistols. I am having some trouble with seeing the dot during presentation/target acquisition. Can line up iron sights quickly but definitely a learning curb for the red dot (I shoot with both eyes open). Once I get used to the dot, will be interesting to see if there is any slowdown on using iron sights.
Old June 22, 2023, 11:30 PM   #14
Ricklin

Red dots work or they would not be banned for shooting trap. I find great similarity in pistol and shotgun.