The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 3, 2023, 10:07 PM   #1
Sharkbite

Ruger LC in 5.7x28????

I just picked one of these up. Thinking of using it as a house gun for the wife. Light weight, light recoil, decent capacity. I have a 22mag suppressor, so, quiet enough for indoors.

Im leaning towards the 40gn V-max loading for SD/HD purposes.

Any thoughts?
Old January 6, 2023, 08:42 PM   #2
Siggy-06

Speer makes Gold Dots hp in 5.7. That’s what I have in my FN.
Old January 8, 2023, 07:42 PM   #3
litework

I really like it and carry the carbine, along with the Ruger 57, on road trips quite a bit. I added a red dot / 3x magnifier and I bought some 5 round extensions from Ruger. I’m good to go.
Old January 8, 2023, 08:58 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Had a min to take the Wife to the range with the new 5.7. Got the red dot zeroed.

With my Spectre II, the dang this is QUIET. No muffs on an indoor range (all to ourselves). Almost no recoil, follow up shots are insanely fast. She was doing about 3-4 rounds a sec without issues.

Only shot about 100 rounds but ended up with a group the size of a coffee can lid dead center of the thoracic cavity shot from about the 7 yd line. She is not intimidated by the little beast at all.

This is a winner in my book!!!!
Old January 8, 2023, 09:41 PM   #5
litework

I have a silencer I’m currently waiting for. I bought it mainly for my ARs but I thought about using it with the LC Carbine too. Fiocchi makes a subsonic round for 5.7 that might be fun to shoot with a silencer.
Old January 10, 2023, 12:29 PM   #6
Pumpkin

I really like this gun, wish they would do it in 9mm. Congrats!
Old January 10, 2023, 09:07 PM   #7
Sharkbite

Quote:
Fiocchi makes a subsonic round for 5.7 that might be fun to shoot with a silencer.
A subsonic 5.7 is no different then a subsonic 22Lr. I dont see the point in that. If im going to shoot subsonic 40gn 22cal bullet, i’ll run a 22Lr bolt gun and eliminate the bolt noise.
Old January 11, 2023, 06:51 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
I really like this gun, wish they would do it in 9mm. Congrats!
Check out the Just Right Carbine, might be just what you’re looking for.
Old January 24, 2023, 11:51 PM   #9
deadcoyote

I’m kind of the opposite, I’m that I really wish they’d make a PC carbine style in 5.7.
Old January 25, 2023, 10:09 AM   #10
DaleA

5.7 x 28 ammunition is kind of pricey (the cheapest I've seen was $35 for a box of 50 rounds last Christmas--$1 per round is much more common) and reloading seems problematic as I guess the factory rounds have some kind of coating on them that makes them feed easier and this gets rubbed off when you clean them for reloading. I could certainly be mistaken about this though.
Old January 25, 2023, 02:49 PM   #11
jetinteriorguy

If you could get the ammo for $25.00 a box I’d be all over this. I do have a 1911 that’s convertible from 9mm to .22TCM, I’d love to see a decent rifle in this caliber. Not sure these days, but a few years ago ammo was only $20.00 so I’m pretty well stocked up.
Old January 25, 2023, 09:03 PM   #12
ballardw

Only rifle I've seen so far is a bolt action from Armscorp.

But mine is a .22TCM that is convertible to 9mm
Old January 26, 2023, 08:04 AM   #13
jetinteriorguy

I’ve looked at the Armscorp rifle, a friend of mine said his father in law has one. He’s not too impressed with it either quality or performance wise, especially for what they cost.
Old January 27, 2023, 08:38 AM   #14
darkgael

Quote:
the factory rounds have some kind of coating on them that makes them feed easier
Supposedly the coating on the 5.7 case is there to help the delayed blowbach system by making the case stick the the chamber walls a tad longer than it otherwise might.
Old January 28, 2023, 06:59 PM   #15
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgael View Post
Supposedly the coating on the 5.7 case is there to help the delayed blowbach system by making the case stick the the chamber walls a tad longer than it otherwise might.
My understanding was that the coating was to help with extraction. Due to the cartridge being designed to fit into a straight magazine, the cartridges have little to no taper, making it is harder to extract. The polymer coating was to help it slide out of the chamber, much like polymer coated steel ammo.

I have seen some people reload for it. However case life was short, 3 -5 reloads if I remember right. And reliability was spotty.

As far as thoughts?
Looks like a 2x4
Ammo is way too expensive.
This cartridge works like a rifle cartridge, relatively light bullet going fast to get lots of energy. Going subsonic its not much better than a 22lr.
"subsonic" ammo might not be subsonic out of a 16 in barrel.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; January 28, 2023 at 07:04 PM.
Old February 3, 2023, 06:54 PM   #16
DaleA

I'm not going to keep doing this but since I did post that the cheapest I'd seen 5.7x28 ammo was about $35 for a box of 50 I'll do one update and provide a link to the 5.7x28 ammo going for $30 a box.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-...term=afternoon

And while typing this message up it went to 'out of stock'.
Sigh.
FWIW the stuff was on sale for almost two hours before it went out of stock.
Old February 4, 2023, 02:25 PM   #17
9x19

I ordered one of these through the LGS this morning... I've been curious about them for awhile.

I recently sold off my Short-Barreled 6.5 Grendel and all the ammo. This week I happened across a fella selling a quantity of 5.7x28mm ammo for a good bit less than today's prices, and all of that pushed me over the edge.

Hopefully it will be in hand next week.
Old February 5, 2023, 08:47 AM   #18
litework

Quote:
I ordered one of these through the LGS this morning... I've been curious about them for awhile.

I recently sold off my Short-Barreled 6.5 Grendel and all the ammo. This week I happened across a fella selling a quantity of 5.7x28mm ammo for a good bit less than today's prices, and all of that pushed me over the edge.

Hopefully it will be in hand next week.
It will come with a coupon for ShopRuger. You can pick up some extra magazines [it only comes with one magazine] and five round extensions.
Old February 6, 2023, 02:39 PM   #19
9x19

I ordered four extra mags along with the Carbine... LGS was cheaper on the two-pack than Ruger, even after Ruger's 20% discount.
Old February 6, 2023, 05:02 PM   #20
litework

I didn't realize they were that expensive the their store. I haven't found the five round extensions anywhere except ShopRuger. They don't have the extensions where I buy my magazines.
Old February 6, 2023, 10:33 PM   #21
9x19

I hadn't really thought about extensions, but I like that they come with a longer spring.

Ruger wants $86 for two mags, before their discount, still $70 after, LGS was $52....

Tandemkross makes those extensions, and they are priced the same there, but the 20% discount will probably convince me to buy from Ruger.

Last edited by 9x19; February 6, 2023 at 10:52 PM.
Old March 4, 2023, 08:14 PM   #22
9x19

Final form... Sig green-dot sight, Crimson Trace laser, Magpul vertical grip.

I used the Ruger 20% discount code to pick up some of the Tandem Kross +5 magazine extensions.

Virtually no recoil, and proved reliable with three different factory loads. Good accuracy too, even shooting from the hip.

Folded, it easily fits in a tennis racket case.
Old March 7, 2023, 09:00 PM   #23
litework

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Final form... Sig green-dot sight, Crimson Trace laser, Magpul vertical grip.

I used the Ruger 20% discount code to pick up some of the Tandem Kross +5 magazine extensions.

Virtually no recoil, and proved reliable with three different factory loads. Good accuracy too, even shooting from the hip.

Folded, it easily fits in a tennis racket case.
Nice set-up!
Old March 8, 2023, 08:40 PM   #24
zaitcev

Quote:
My understanding was that the coating was to help with extraction. Due to the cartridge being designed to fit into a straight magazine, the cartridges have little to no taper, making it is harder to extract. The polymer coating was to help it slide out of the chamber, much like polymer coated steel ammo.
Exactly right, however it's only necessary in military testing conditions, when guns operate under "heavy fouling". I don't think a normal person would notice any difference. You'd need to go for 3,000 rounds with no cleaning.