The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 12, 2017, 12:23 AM   #1
BlackdogGS

1/4" steel targets

I have some 1/4" round plates 14" in diameter. I was thinking of making targets out of them. I'm thinking they'd be great for .22 but what about .40 and .45 ACP?

I'll start sourcing some 1/2" steel for the .223.
Old October 12, 2017, 06:38 AM   #2
mete

Stick to a .22 !
You can improve things . Angle plates so the bullet deflects downward. Put plates on lengths of chain so the force will swing the plate and absorb impact .
Always have a generous backstop ! You will occasionally miss the plate!
Old October 12, 2017, 08:01 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I've shot steel plate competition for years. I've seen some serious injuries result from using the incorrect steel in reactive targets. If you're going to shoot steel targets with any handgun or rifle, in any caliber, get some AR500 steel targets to shoot at. I used to use practice targets of 1/4" steel and after shooting at them for a while with .22lr they became concave. At that point they're really dangerous. I went to a shoot out of state one time and saw the match director take an almost full 9mm splash back from a non AR500 target at 25 yards and it completely penetrated his frontal sinus cavity and lodged in the sinuses. I know there are lots of people on here who will tell you how to angle them, you're safe with mild steel, "I do it all the time", etc., but I'm telling you that after many, many years of shooting steel targets I've seen injuries that ranged from mild to serious and in every case someone said "it never happened before". Invest in some AR500 targets, wear eye protection, and be safe.
Old October 12, 2017, 11:53 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...have some 1/4" round plates..." It's not how thick it is that matters. Made of what steel? That matters.
So does the distance you're playing at. Buddy of mine took a slice of cast .45 bullet in his forehead long ago when shooting at steel plates at about 7 yards. The thing went through the peak of his baseball hat and hit his forehead just above the eye brow and stuck. The point actually bent on his skull and wrapped itself into the tissue. Required a trip to the ER. I wasn't there to pull it out with vice grips. snicker.
Old October 12, 2017, 12:02 PM   #5
ShootistPRS

To directly answer your question, I will point out that my 22 silhouette targets are made of 1/4" steel and they get battered up after very little shooting with rimfire rounds. If a bullet leaves a dent in your target it is not good enough for the round you are using.

40 and 45 need at least 3/8" AR5oo steel and you will usually find 1/2" AR500 being used. At the local range we have to reverse our 1/2 falling plates every six months or so because the begin to dish from all the use.
I put three consecutive shots through a 3/8" AR 500 plate that was 3/8" thick with my 357 Maximum and 158 grain bullets from 50 yards. The gong didn't move and I thought I had missed until I got closer to the gong.

Use the right material of the right thickness for the rounds you shoot.
Old October 12, 2017, 06:31 PM   #6
BlackdogGS

I'll be using my 1/4" plate for .22 at 100 yards.

I just found this site, I'll get my center fire targets from them. https://jcsteeltargets.configio.com/