The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2021, 02:13 AM   #1
ninosdemente

Caliper Jaws

I came across online of someone who makes 3d printed caliper jaws that are caliber specific to get "consistent" measurement of brass size. I have attached a link, not near what the other has but same concept.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4463162
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2104211

The ones this person makes, has cut out/trimmed section where the brass sits well depending what one is loading. He has different calibers.

Has anyone used this type of method/regularly. If so, do you get consistent measurements?

Thank you in advanced.
Old February 15, 2021, 03:18 AM   #2
nhyrum

I see little to no use for those in reloading. Maybe brass/neck thickness, but with most all calipers having an inside set of jaws, it's a simple matter of subtraction, which I'd not trust the repeatability of 3d printed, clip on jaws.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old February 15, 2021, 04:05 AM   #3
lll Otto lll

Slip-on plastic jaws? Yeah, that screams precision....
Old February 15, 2021, 04:25 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

About as useful as duct tape on a ruler.

I have been designing parts, jigs, tools, etc. and 3D printing them for about 5 years; and just got my second printer (much, much more precise and reliable).
I can tell you flat-out that those jaws are not going to be useful, unless you're just looking for "ballpark" measurements.

Fuggettabouttit.
Old February 15, 2021, 07:09 AM   #5
hounddawg

pass
Old February 15, 2021, 07:41 AM   #6
Maxwell Haus

I can see where they can handy used for their intended purpose , but I do not see what they would be good for in the reloading world . We worry about aluminum comparitors being too soft , using plastic would be even worse I would think .
Old February 15, 2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Reloadron

Pass

Ron
Old February 15, 2021, 01:04 PM   #8
Gemmer

Nope! But after a second thought, NOPE!
Old February 15, 2021, 01:40 PM   #9
MarkCO

third that, Nope!
Old February 15, 2021, 02:10 PM   #10
fan_of_flux

I also have agree to the pass. Just buy a set of good ones; for the most part, one can get a nice pair under a $100.
Old February 15, 2021, 02:40 PM   #11
Marco Califo

Do you put on boxing gloves to type on your keyboard?
I have Lyman and HFT calipers. There is no add-on material to make them more accurate. Anything you would add will interfere with your measurement, and only add needless calculations or increase the risk of inaccurate results.
Old February 15, 2021, 03:03 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemete
I came across online of someone who makes 3d printed caliper jaws that are caliber specific to get "consistent" measurement of brass size. I have attached a link, not near what the other has but same concept.
It might help if you could post a link to the thingies you are actually talking about. I'm finding it very difficult to conceive of any way in which something added onto the caliper jaws might in any way make measurements more accurate rather than less accurate. I've been using a dial caliper to measure my brass for years, and I don't think my measurements are in any way inaccurate.
Jeepaholic
Old February 15, 2021, 03:20 PM   #13
NoSecondBest

There is no way you’re going to improve the accuracy of a set of calipers by adding anything to the jaws. I retired as an engineer and back in the days when I was working I supervised three different metrology labs at different times. Calipers can be off simply by not wiping the dust off the jaws before taking measurements. Not by a lot, but enough to be considered “not accurate”. However, what people spend their money on is often amazing to me.
Old February 15, 2021, 03:24 PM   #14
olduser

A solution in search of a problem.
Old February 15, 2021, 05:32 PM   #15
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by olduser View Post
A solution in search of a problem.
Like a lot of things in the gun industry.
Old February 15, 2021, 09:47 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

The links don't go to pages with anything gun-specific. But if you read all the English information down to the bottom of the page past the French in the second link, the maker himself says they compromise accuracy. They appear to be geared toward extending the throat of the jaws to make deeper measurements, but not equally precise ones.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 15, 2021, 10:46 PM   #17
ninosdemente

Hahaha, that answered my question.

Now I wonder how some people swear on the product on its function if no accuracy can be achieved. Not questioning anyone's no or yes answers as I don't have the experience to even voice one.

It is a private Facebook page that I joined about reloading tools (mostly 3d). Saw a big list of people interested in buying different sets and was curious to ask about it.

I was kind of curious on the page as I don't have a 3d printer, but wanted to to see what can be made and be useful to a reloader. The creative tools they had. Did see some items that could be useful to me that doesn't require precision/accuracy. Primer catchers, storage for different tools I have, wall organizers, of that nature. I'm picky when it comes to organization and wish I could have some of those items. Just don't know what it costs. Don't know if I even want to know. LOL.

The links are free files but don't know if those files are usable for all 3d printer or if file formats vary from printer to printer.
Old February 16, 2021, 09:38 AM   #18
Nathan

I looked at the links. I think the first would be good for confirming case head expansion.

That said, printed part accuracy is too poor for use like this. It would be loose or not fit. Also tip shape would be way too irregular.
Old February 19, 2021, 02:51 AM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Regular calipers measure to 0.001" meaning their accuracy is to the nearest 0.001, so +/- 0.0005"

Anything you add to the caliper has to be to that same standard or it decreases the accuracy and repeatability of the measurement.

SO, if the "printed part" fits to a consistent 0.0005" it is usable. If not, its just extra junk that can distort the measurement.

Depending on what you are doing, this might matter...
Old February 21, 2021, 04:05 AM   #20
Scorch

I found it amusing that the jaws are for "digital vernier calipers". From an old guy who started out with Vernier calipers (and still uses them), I can tell you there ain't no digital Vernier calipers.
Old February 21, 2021, 11:38 AM   #21
Unclenick
Staff

There is if you count up to the matching pair of scale graduations on your fingers.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 21, 2021, 01:12 PM   #22
Marco Califo

I got into trouble that way, playing Black Jack in Reno.
When I got 21.

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 21, 2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old February 21, 2021, 01:18 PM   #23
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Regular calipers measure to 0.001" meaning their accuracy is to the nearest 0.001, so +/- 0.0005"

Anything you add to the caliper has to be to that same standard or it decreases the accuracy and repeatability of the measurement.

SO, if the "printed part" fits to a consistent 0.0005" it is usable. If not, its just extra junk that can distort the measurement.

Depending on what you are doing, this might matter...
The size, and fit of the attachment does not really matter as long as it does not change. I think we are saying the same thing.

But a 3D printed part will have 1. more deformation than steel and 2. change more (about 10 times more) than steel with changed in temperature. So regardless of consistency and fit to the caliper, a 3D printed part for anything precision is really not.