The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 29, 2017, 03:31 AM   #1
Model12Win

Surefire forend: Worth it?

Hey gang! I have a light on my Remington 1100 Tactical now and would really like to also put a light on my Remington 870 Police. I have an 18.5" bbl 870P with standard 4 shot magazine, and light mounts seem few and far between if you don't have an extended magazine.

I know about the Surefire forend lights for shotguns, and it seemed like a good option to go with a standard 4 shot magazine, which I'd like to stay with. So I looked on Amazon at the reviews for the Surefire DSF-870 and was surprised to see many negative reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B00E9YEEPK/ref=mw_dp_cr

Several mentions of quality control and ergonomic problems. I was under the impression this setup was generally regarded as top quality, but those bad reviews have be worried about dropping over $300 for this item.

For those with experience with these Surefire forends, what are your thoughts? Are they worth the money? Does Surefire have good customer service if something is wrong?

Thanks for the help!
Old June 29, 2017, 06:01 AM   #2
Screwball

Surefire forend: Worth it?

Is it worth it to you, when you can get the Magpul forend for $30ish, a rail for $11 to $17 (polymer, either standard or cantilever; for aluminum, add another $20), and then a Streamlight for $170ish?

You can get 200 more Lumens out of the Streamlight, and if you wanted to use it on a handgun, can pull it right off the rail. Can't do that with the Surefire. Can run it in a similar position or offset. I've used Surefire forends, and while they are good, I don't like sinking money into a light I can only use on one gun.

I used Surefire CS once... had a new DS00 tail cap on my Scout light that wouldn't work with the pressure switch. Sent it in, and a few weeks later, a new one came in the mail. Didn't get any info regarding it, just the original representative saying they would take care of it. I use their flashlights, and have two weaponlights... wouldn't worry about their warranty.
Old June 29, 2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Model12Win

Thank you. I wonder if the Magpul forend would work with a standard 4 shot tube and a sling?
Old June 29, 2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Soclosenotnear

I had one on a scattergun technologies tr870 which I'm thinking is identical to that and I had zero complaints. It worked well, felt good and never had any issues.