The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 30, 2016, 11:15 AM   #1
remodeler

FN 1910 & P.38 Advice

I purchased a home and found a couple WW2 handguns during the remodel. I already have too many expensive hobbies, so I'm not going to get into antique handguns. I've never bought or sold a gun, so I'm new to this. Do any of you have any ideas of what they're worth? Any advice on how I can (legally) sell them for what they're worth? (They're obviously not registered to me).

Thanks for the help!

Old October 30, 2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

There is no federal law requiring registration. A very few states do require it.
Assuming you are in one of the "free" states, you can sell the guns much like you would anything else. It is a good idea to have a record of who you sold them to.
Another way to sell them is to a gun dealer. They will not pay you as much as you might get in a private sale.
You can not sell the guns across your state line unless you ship it to a licensed gun dealer in another state.
If you live in a repressive state like California, New York, or Illinois- forget everything I told you and find a local gun dealer for advice.
Old October 30, 2016, 03:08 PM   #3
Ernest T

I'd put the value of the FN 1910 in the balkpark of $200 to $350 if it has all parts and is fully functional. The P38 appears to be a Walther model with a 43 date. That gun could be in the $700 to $1200 range depending on condition, and markings. There are many small variations in these pistols that can affect price.

As to selling the guns, much depends on what state you are in. In the states like California and similar, you have to make all sales through a dealer, and pay a fee for the privilege. In free states you can sell privately within the state, but not across borders. You need to check the rules where you live. These guns would probably fall under C&R rules, which makes them easier to sell in some states, but not others. In my state the purchaser would still need to obtain a handgun purchase permit, be the holder of a concealed carry license, or have an 03 FFL (C&R) license. You would collect the permit or a copy of the license at the sale. In all cases you would be responsible to assure that the person you sell to is "legal" to own this type of firearm, which would include age verification. You wouldn't want to be responsible for selling the guns to a convicted felon that then used them to commit a crime. Bottom line is, depends on where you live.

Last edited by Ernest T; October 30, 2016 at 03:44 PM.