The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 25, 2001, 11:14 AM   #76
Cruzer

Matt,

The Amsoil site has some very interesting info about testing protocols. The main issue is that most tests are done at very high pressures and sometimes high temperatures. This is so different from firearms uses that I deem them useless extrapolation. The reading is interesting though and you can learn a lot about synthetics. Amsoil has outstanding technology in synthetics and they are the real thing - not a blender or a wannabe.

http://www.noria.com/cont_frict_wear.html
http://www.bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/index.shtml

Breakfree also has a new product called Breakfree Collector which is a blend of synthetic PAO oils and corrosion inhibitors. Drundel, you may consider using this instead of CLP or Eezox for safe and salt marsh guns.

Sgoeing, "snakeoil" means:

snake oil (snk oil)
n.
1) A worthless preparation fraudulently peddled as a cure for many ills.
2) Speech or writing intended to deceive; humbug

[Edited by Cruzer on 05-25-2001 at 01:57 PM]
Old May 25, 2001, 12:46 PM   #77
sgoeing

Can someone please explain to me the reference to snake oil. I know I am just missing something, but I can't figure it out.
Old May 25, 2001, 01:02 PM   #78
Cruzer

Sgoeing, look at post above yours. Not trying to be a smartass. I didn't know there was a lubricant on the market called "Snakeoil".

[Edited by Cruzer on 05-27-2001 at 10:59 AM]
Old May 25, 2001, 03:50 PM   #79
griz

I use a blend of extra virgin olive oil, banana peel extract, a smidgen of bees wax, eye of newt, and a secret ingredient that I am not allowed to disclose.
Old May 25, 2001, 06:05 PM   #80
sgoeing

Thanks,
I thought you were possibly referring to the gun oil called Snake oil. Thew one Dillon Sells.
Old May 27, 2001, 09:29 AM   #81
S.F.S

Cruzer,
Im not trying to start a war here... FWIW supposedly Slip 2000 has a synthetic blend of oils, at least that is what the rep told me I have not had the chance to use it yet. I have heard pretty good things about their product from alot of shotgunners' but thats about it...
Scott
Old May 27, 2001, 09:50 AM   #82
Cruzer

SFS, from the Slip 2000 site:

"SLIP 2000™ and it's unique formulation provides a long lasting barrier on all metal parts and does not attract dirt or other abrasive contaminants. Displaces moisture and prevents rusting. Proprietary formulation was developed to Clean/Lubricate/Protect and out last any other product on the market today! We have done this without adding any oils, petroleum distillates or harmful PTFE type ingredients. SLIP 2000™ was developed with our health, safety and the environment in mind."

How can it be a blend of synthetic oils if it contains no oils? If it doesn't contain oils, it could be made of synthetic esters (which are biodegradeable, etc. etc.) or it could be made of siloxanes. Synthetic esters are good, siloxanes are OK but there are better technologies. There is no useful information on their site, just a lot of "magic" and "miracles." Sorry, can't tell you what it is, so I ain't using it. If, per chance, it is a synthetic blend of esters, just buy a quart of Amsoil instead. No flames here either.

Hey griz, if you used extra virgin olive oil on your firearms, make sure to use avocado on the rails, the olive oil runs off while the avocado stays put and provides better lubrication (and makes a great salad after the range trip too!).
Old May 27, 2001, 10:02 AM   #83
S.F.S

Cruzer,
Well as for know I will continue useing Break-Free.. It seems to be a whole lot of snake oils on the market as you well know...
Do you know anything about the Tetra line?
I have only gotten into serious shooting within the last year so alot of this is new to me..
Thanks for your advice..
Old May 27, 2001, 10:28 AM   #84
Cruzer

SFS,

I found an MSDS for Tetra Gun Lube (it is dated 1998, so it may be old). I don't think it's synthetic, and it contains some nasty solvents (trichloroethylene). You may want to email them and get a more current MSDS.

http://www.hiportaerosol.com/MSDS/TM...a_Gun_Lube.rtf

I have heard good things about Tetra grease.

I bought some Breakfree CLP a few days ago. So far, I really like it. It provides lubrication similar to the Castrol/Hoppes synthetic I was using before, but I am sure it provides much better corrosion protection. The smell is characteristic of synthetic esters (somewhat fruity; all fruit odors come from esters in the fruit). The other characteristic of esters is that a tiny amount (parts per million) can be hard to stomach. It doesn't bother me, and definitely should not affect your health, but use it in a ventilated area.

I am also new to shooting (about 1 year now also). This lubricant topic can be obsessive for me, particularly since some of the claims are outrageous LIES. Right now it comes down to some very simple rules for me...use a synthetic, make sure it has good corrosion inhibitors, PTFE is OK particularly if it has very small particles.
Old May 27, 2001, 12:31 PM   #85
Clayton Hufford

Cruzer, you be well pleased with Break Free CLP. As I stated earlier, I have a vast amount of experience with it an I recommend it over all others. It is available in a 12 ounce aerosol can for $6.15 from http://www.midsouthshooterssuply.com
A few other products to read about:
http://www.x1r.com
http://www.mpro7.com

You can reach Break Free by e mail at [email protected]
or you can write to BREAK-FREE INC.
1035 South Lindwood Ave.
Santa Ana CA 92705-4396
Old May 27, 2001, 12:32 PM   #86
S.F.S

Thanks Cruzer for your info...
I know that Tetra changed there formula not to long ago, cause there oil use to smell like shi* and I truly mean that....LOL and it no longer does..
Scott
Old May 27, 2001, 12:50 PM   #87
S.F.S

Clayton,
The Break-free company was sold several years ago and they are now located at.
Break-Free Inc.
13386 International Prky.
Jacksonville FL. 32218
(904)-741-5400 http://www.Break-Free.com
I also heard something to the affect that the formula was changed slightly about 2yrs ago. Supposedly the odor was a little harsh at one time, I really don't know what kind of change cause I have only been using it for a short time myself and I am very well pleased with it...
Have you ever used the LP version, if so is it actually better than CLP for lubrication?
Old May 27, 2001, 06:44 PM   #88
Clayton Hufford

Just noticed that Break-Free was sold to Duracell Corp. The contact info. I posted was from 1998/1999.
Break-Free LP actually fares worse than CLP in the Falex lubricant wear tests. It is now called Greased Lightning, and is available from the link I posted for CLP.
One great thing about Break-Free is they don't feed you full of **** making false claims. They are very open as a company, most of the execs back in '98 were shooters, and they had no problem sending me a boxful of test data.
Break-Free also has excellent quality control, due to the numerous foreign and domestic government contracts.
I have a can of Break-Free CLP from 1989, and it smells and performs the same as a can I purchased a few months ago.
Old May 27, 2001, 07:45 PM   #89
S.F.S

Thanks Clayton on the info about Break-free LP. At least I know that Im not missing out on anything by not getting the it..
What exactly is the Falex lubrication wear tests you mentioned?
Scott
Old May 27, 2001, 10:56 PM   #90
Clayton Hufford

The test I mentioned was conducted by the Falex Corp., a lubricant testing firm. The American Society of Testing Methods sets specific guidlines for testing products like lubricants.
In the test I mentioned, 30 popular lubricants were tested a number of years ago, by Falex using a F-1599-1A Lubricity Tester. The top three products in this specific test were as follows:
1. Shooter's Choice(MPC) FP-10
2. Tetra Gun Grease
3. Eezox
Obviously this is just one specific test, and should not be used alone to choose a lubricant.
ASTMD-4172 and ASTMD-2266 are popular wear scar tests similar to the one above. The lower the number(wear scar measurement), the better the lubricant performance in this specific test.
Break-Free CLP has a wear scar of .8mm, the max allowable by military spec. MIL-L-63460.
Corrosion X has a wear scar of .58mm.
MILCOMM TW-25B has a wear scar of .42mm
Keep in mind that #1 this is a laboratory test and may not predict real world performance, and #2 it is only one of many tests conducted on lubricants. I have found that several products claiming excellent test results often evaporate quickly, and/or provide very little corrosion protection, as well as a host of other problems. There is no free lunch-one test is still only one test
Four of the best products that I have tested, evaluated, and used in the real world are Break-Free CLP, Corrosion X, Eezox, and FP-10.
Another line of products from a long-standing and well known company: http://www.kgproducts.net
Old May 31, 2001, 07:00 PM   #91
drcohen

Falex test

I thoroughly read that Falex lab test. it is flawed and scewed towards the winner.

1) They used 1 cent nails, which, without even having to look under a microscope, have freckles you can feel. That is not (i hope not) what the inside of a barrel is like.

Rust freckling was found on the TW-25B sample and others. That happened because the peaks of those freckles (which arent realistic to y'all) weren't covered with the lube.

2) The lubes were applied heavily. TW-25B clearly instructs people to rub in a thin film. thats the beauty of it. a lil goes a long way.

The applications of the product must match the individual product instructions.

IN SUMMARY, if applied correctly, TW-25B and others, would have faired better. That test was a knockoff of the US Navy FTM-4001 test (saline fog - 500 hours - plate of steel) which TW-25B passed with flying colors, in a US Navy lab.

Try it for yourself.
Old May 31, 2001, 11:09 PM   #92
Clayton Hufford

The Falex wear test I mentioned at the beginning of my last post was just that, a wear test-not a corrosion test. You are referring to ASTMB-117 and ASTMD-1748, which are salt spray and humidity cabinet testing procedures. The Falex Corp. conducts LUBRICANT WEAR TESTS. They use several types of machines which use ball bearings and large rollers, for instance the Shell 4-ball wear test(ASTMD-4172) which I mentioned earlier. Milcomm TW25B does well in this test, with a wear scar of .42mm.
drcohen, I have no idea what you are talking about, but rest assured that the companies that perform corrosion and wear tests do not use nails.
I've never doubted the quality or effectiveness of Milcomm TW25B or MC2500. How's Gordon doing ? They are great lubricants, and decent protectants. However, they are difficult to apply, especially in the field. This is where Break Free CLP stands above the rest- EASE OF USE AND COST EFFECTIVENESS.
Break Free CLP is a multi purpose product which is safe, easy, and effective to use on all weapons. It has been researched, tested, and issued to police officers and troops worldwide for over 20 years.
Old June 1, 2001, 07:28 PM   #93
Lance

Gibbs

I have been using Gibbs in the small engine repair shop where I work, and have read on their web site glowing reports of use on guns.
So, what do you guys think about Gibbs?
Lance, in Michigan
Old June 1, 2001, 07:38 PM   #94
Drundel

Got to shopping in Natchez today, found a few more.

KG Systems
J&H
Break-Free Collector Long Term Storage, I am gonna try this one
"Powdered DuPont Teflon" by Hoppes, says its .5 micron
Old June 2, 2001, 01:44 AM   #95
CassandraComplex

Curuzer/Cruzer:

I use CLP for basic lubrication and find that it works great for rust resistance (I occasionally also use Sentry Tuff Cloth for a dry rust protection and it works great on the outside of things).

But, I use Pro Shot brand Pro Gold grease for heavier wear points, and it works GREAT! I mean, I have used every gun grease on the market, and Pro Gold just makes everything butter smooth. There is a real difference with this grease.
But, I have no idea what it is. There are gold (copper?) particles suspended in the grease, and I have no idea if it is a synthetic lube or what.
I was wondering if you could tell me what this stuff is, and why it works so well? It is marketed (made?) by Pro Shot products who makes a lot of gun products. I bought it on the shelf at a gun store and ever since, every other gun grease I have tried just does not even compare to the butter smooth operation that Pro Gold gives my guns.

Thanks!
Old June 2, 2001, 07:48 AM   #96
S.F.S

Does Proshot have a website you are aware of? I am interested in it. Thanks
Old June 2, 2001, 04:58 PM   #97
CassandraComplex

Pro-Gold Grease

I have searched and have not found a website for Pro Shot. In the gun stores I frequent, Pro-Shot brand products are common but their Pro-Gold grease is not that common.

Here is the info I have for them:

Pro-Shot Products
PO Box 763
Taylorville IL 62568
(217)824-9133

Believe me, I have used every gun grease on the market and every lube and this stuff really makes my gun cycle buttery smooth. There is a remarkable difference in sound and feel. I live in a hot climate where oil tends to run off more during carry as well as get thin, so I use grease on some parts. I use Pro-Gold on the heavy contact areas, and use oil for other general lubing.

Pro-Gold grease comes in a short fat glass jar with a gold side label and a white top label atop a black lid. There is enough in the jar to last a very long time, and it runs about $3.50. The grease iteself is clearish with a gold tint, with tiny golden flecks suspended all throughout it making it kinda sparkly. I think the gold (copper?) flakes prevent galling and make things run really smooth, but all I know is that it works great!
Old June 2, 2001, 05:11 PM   #98
S.F.S

Thanks for the info,
I am currently using Break Free CLP and it does tend to either evaporate or soak into the metal, Im not sure which but it does leave a nice slick film on everything even after extensive shooting.. I have both Tetra gun oil and also Slip 2000 and have not used either of them yet.

Does anyone know if G-96 is a synthetic base oil?
Old June 2, 2001, 05:38 PM   #99
Cruzer

Is this the Pro-Gold you guys are talking about? Someone confirm, and I'll start looking into it. Thanks.

http://www.progoldmfr.com/
Old June 2, 2001, 06:09 PM   #100
S.F.S

Cruzer,
I have 2 questions,
Do you know what type of oil base is the G-96 Gun treatment?
Also in your opinion as a CLP user what does Break-free CLP actually do evaporate or soak in to the metal?
Thank you much,
Scott