The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 25, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Rikakiah

Holster for USP40...

I apologize if this post gets a bit long...

I'm finally looking for a holster for my HK USP40 (full size). It's basically my home defense gun, so it hasn't really needed a carry method. However, I'm just now looking at getting in to some hunting (critters with my .22 or coyote once I get a 5.56) and think it would be a good idea for a personal defense/backup weapon in the field, particularly when all I have is the .22.

I'm debating between a OWB or leg-drop. The reason I'm considering the leg-drop is because I can see needing a jacket or coat during the winter and that would impede a belt holster. Also, a lot of the tactical considerations that give the belt (or chest carry) an edge don't apply, since I won't be running, drawing from a vehicle, etc. I think draw time would be about the same from a relaxed/walking position (my hand would rest below the grip of the pistol, so it would have to make the same motion, just grab the gun sooner in a leg-drop than belt holster).

Basically, I just need it *there*, accessible, and comfortable. I also need some sort of decent retention. While there's no risk of me losing it in a struggle with a bad guy or anything, it'd be a shame to lose it while traversing a creek or other terrain.

Eventually, I'd like to start getting into some practical shooting events/competitions (more for fun/experience than true "competition"), which I know the belt carry would be critical. I'm just concerned about it getting obstructed with clothing or hindering slinging my rifle on hunting occasions.

Anyway, if anyone has some opinions or good options for either carry that would retain a USP40, please point me in the right direction. I don't need the most expensive since I won't be depending on it every day for my life, but I'm also a strong believer in buying (and paying for) quality. And yes, getting both is a possibility in the long term, just not something I can do right away, so which would be most practical for a first purchase for my immediate needs?

Thanks.
Old July 25, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

My input....

The "what type of field holster" posts come up often on TFL.
For your posted uses, you have a few good choices. Id suggest a modular system you can convert(concealed, shoulder, leg-SAS type, tanker).
Some holsters & designs also come in tan/OD/camo/brown.
Id look at the popular milspec Bianchi UM92I. It's based on the US armed forces M12 holster & can be used left or right, flap or no flap, you can add a thumb break or wear it crossdraw/SAS-drop leg, chest-tanker, etc(with added gear).
Blade-tech, Safariland, Blackhawk, Tactical Tailor, CSM Gear, Crye Precision all market military type holsters for the HK USP series.
See: www.uscav.com www.blackhawk.com www.blade-tech.com www.policehq.com www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com www.grafs.com www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.csmgear.com .

Last edited by ClydeFrog; July 25, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old July 25, 2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Rikakiah

Thanks for the quick reply. Funny you should post Grafs, as I visit their local physical store rather frequently. Sadly, I didn't really see any holsters there I liked.

However, your suggestions got me thinking and I went through several of your website suggestions. I really like Blackhawk gear (have used a few of their bags), but it originally looked like the only holster they had for the full size 40 was a SERPA, which I'm not overly fond of. However, I started looking at the Omega VI and it seems perfect. It's completely detachable from the leg-drop system for wear on the belt, or can attach to MOLLE gear as well (say I get a tac vest in the future and decide on chest carry).

Now it's just a decision on color... I'm a big fan of black because it's pretty universal, but perhaps also because I feel like some sort of Army poser when I carry a bunch of camo gear to the range or wherever. Just not sure how fully camo'd up I need to be for hunting small game and if a few big patches of solid black will negatively impact my success (yes, I'm VERY new to hunting).
Old July 25, 2013, 11:56 PM   #4
BarryLee

I use a Safariland 6378 with my USP40 and it works very well. The holster comes with paddle and belt mount options, so you can decide which works best for you. I ended up using the belt mount option as it tends to hold the gun a little closer to the body. The holster also features their Automatic Locking System which holds the gun securely, but is easily released with your thumb. I purchased mine on Amazon for a little less than fifty bucks.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 26, 2013, 01:22 AM   #5
Rikakiah

Well nuts, I like that one, too. Maybe I'll have to just get both. 'Course that means I'll have to shoot more to justify 2 holsters... Win/win, I guess?