The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 1, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1
sasquatch

Make sure it's dead before you try to gut it......

Deer gets revenge after hunter shoots him

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...ml?source=mypi
Old December 1, 2008, 11:38 PM   #2
bclark1

Ha, heck of a story. I've heard a few good stories about deer clashes in suburbia, including a fork trashing a neighbor's basement, but didn't hear anything like that yet. He had his knife out, why didn't he take the bugger on? Boxing kangaroos is for ninnies.
Old December 1, 2008, 11:41 PM   #3
FrontSight

that's one tough deer!!
Old December 1, 2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Swampghost

Another reason to smoke. Dad always said to have a smoke prior to approaching a downed animal AND be ready for the next shot.
Old December 2, 2008, 12:09 AM   #5
rburch

i always have a cup of hot chocolate myself

and normally tap the eye with a branch as i approach the animal, if it's alive it'll react to that

of course i tend to use neck shots with a 44 magnum levergun, never had one still alive when i got to it with that combo
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old December 2, 2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Bitmap

Quote:
i tend to use neck shots with a 44 magnum levergun, never had one still alive when i got to it with that combo
I shot one in the neck with a .45-70 and it went down instantly. I waited 5 minutes before approaching. I couldn't see him breathing or moving so I handed my rifle to my dad and picked up his antlers to look at him. I got a big surprise when he started shaking his head and trying to get up. Needless to say I let go quickly and I used a handgun to finish him off.

Tapping the eye with a branch would have probably prevented that little near coronary event. Although if he was really unconscious I don't know that he would have reacted even to that.
Old December 2, 2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Always wait at least 15 minutes... Unless you like living dangerously, and have a spare change of underwear handy.
Old December 2, 2008, 12:39 PM   #8
grymster2007

Flat amazing how strong these spindly-legged animals are!
Old December 2, 2008, 01:15 PM   #9
New_Pollution1086

that crazy.

good to know for the future.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old December 2, 2008, 02:21 PM   #10
Guyon

On a fishing/camping trip a while back, one of the guys told a story about coming upon a bass boat with two guys yelling for help. When he got his boat up close to them, it looked like someone had destroyed their nice bass boat. Rods broken, windshield cracked, connections to the outboard trashed. Both guys were bleeding and beat up.

Come to find out, they'd "shot" a deer while it was swimming across the lake and then drug it aboard. The stunned deer eventually came to and wound up wreaking havoc on both the boat and its passengers, who apparently lacked the sense to just let the deer go. When it finally abandoned ship, the two guys found that their boat wouldn't crank because of all the damage. All they could do was drift and bleed.
Old December 2, 2008, 10:22 PM   #11
jdscholer

Many years ago, I was on my way to deer camp late at night in my old Land Cruiser. I was in the hills on a gravel road when a coyote ran across in front of me, stopping when he got to the brush on the road side. I hit the skids, grabbed my 10-22, and popped him in the head slick as you please. Not exactly legal, safe or responsible, but I didn't used to be any of these things.
I ran out and grabbed the coyote, and tossed him on the passenger side floorboard, happy to have a $30 pelt.
A half mile or so up the road, I took my flashlight and to my horror found him to be very alive, and looking real mad. I pulled over to the side and found my tire iron and went to take care of business. After a bit of a struggle, I realized that I couldn't get a good enough swing inside the cab to get the job done.
I figured I'd better get the rifle and finish him off, but didn't want to shoot holes in my rig, so I drug him out on the ground and pumped a couple more into his head. - without getting bit.
If this sounds like a really ugly fiasco, believe me, it was. jd
Old December 3, 2008, 01:03 PM   #12
45Marlin carbine

one of my nephews has a buddy up in Virginia that is a big bow hunting devotee.
he was leaving his stand at dusk and was attacked by a buck that gored and stomped him half to death, requiring a 3 day hospital stay and many stitches.
he managed to get an arrow off his bow to stab the deer with and it ran off.
a few days later a muzzle load hunter took the buck, the arrow was still hanging off it's lower neck.
Old December 3, 2008, 01:07 PM   #13
FrontSight

jd, that is a sick story!! was the yote on its feet and running around & snapping?!
Old December 3, 2008, 07:18 PM   #14
cchardwick

I always carry a pistol on my waist as a backup in case I'm knocked to the ground. This guy could have used one:

Deer Attack
Old December 3, 2008, 07:32 PM   #15
FrontSight

more details have come out...he shot it in the side & then in the neck, and then it woke up! seems this was a Robo Deer!
Old December 3, 2008, 08:49 PM   #16
hunter33

When my dad got his first buck the same thing almost happened to him. He shot once and the deer flipped over with all four legs in the air, on its back. He was about 10 feet away before the deer flipped back over and started a dead charge. My dad quickly lifted his gun and fired another shot killing the deer instantly. His first shot took his hole jaw off, while the second went into his chest.
Old December 3, 2008, 11:51 PM   #17
jdscholer

Quote:
jd, that is a sick story!! was the yote on its feet and running around & snapping?!
No, he was pretty screwed up and couldn't seem to get his feet under him, but he was snapping, and seemed to be recovering the more messed with him. It was real dark, and my old rig had no interior light. Didn't help that I'd been slugging brews for about three beers too long. It got pretty freaky, and I'm lucky I didn't shoot myself in the foot or worse. jd