The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 19, 2009, 07:23 AM   #126
gretske

.22lr

The FOX article is a solid piece of journalism. You can speculate all you want about what other information there might be, but, based on the unrefuted facts we have, there is nothing to suggest there is anything going on other than what we already know. You can "what if" any news report to death, especially if you are inclined to not want to believe it happened. By the way, there was also an article in the college newspaper, which is quoted in the FOX article, so it is not a single source article.

So, until proven otherwise, I am convinced that a liberal college professor used a bumbling college police department to harass a college student for his political views. I don't find that hard to believe at all. I am ever vigilant about my civil rights, particularly my Second Amendment rights, and this event raises my shackles. Anyone who does not care as much about those rights is free to believe otherwise or remain skeptical. I will not, and hope that others who care about these rights will not either. When those rights are threatened, if necessary, I will gladly become part of a "howling mass,' just like the patriots at the Boston Tea Party, Concord and Lexington, did.

Last edited by gretske; March 19, 2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old March 19, 2009, 09:39 AM   #127
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretske
...this event raises my shackles.
Throw off your chains, sir...
Old March 19, 2009, 01:54 PM   #128
.22lr

Sir or Madam (screen name could be either gender)

Quote:
The FOX article is a solid piece of journalism
Opinion. A solid piece of journalism as opposed to what? What do you base this opinion on?

Quote:
but, based on the unrefuted facts we have
Please enumerate these “unrefuted” [sic](this does not mean proven) facts and provide quotes from the news piece to support these facts.

Quote:
was also an article in the college newspaper, which is quoted in the FOX article, so it is not a single source article
I believe the "quote" you refer to is:
Quote:
“I don’t think that Professor Anderson was justified in calling the CCSU police over a clearly non-threatening matter,” Wahlberg told The Recorder, the CCSU student newspaper that first reported the story. “Although the topic of discussion may have made a few individuals uncomfortable, there was no need to label me as a threat.”
This is a quote from the student who was reported, hardly an unbiased observer.

Quote:
So, until proven otherwise, I am convinced that a liberal college professor used a bumbling college police department to harass a college student for his political views.
Doesn't work that way. You do not argue by stating "My view is right till you prove me wrong". You, Sir or Madam, must present your case as to why you are right.

Quote:
Second Amendment rights, and this event raises my shackles.
In this case a student's 1st Amendment rights may have been infringed. But not all speech is protected, incitement to violence, threats etc. I am using the above as examples, not saying the student is guilty of such.

Quote:
Anyone who does not care as much about those rights is free to believe otherwise or remain skeptical.
Ah, I do not jump to the same conclusion as quickly as you do and therefore you are the greater patriot.

This is the last point and the one that most rankles me.
Quote:
I will gladly become part of a "howling mass,' just like the patriots at the Boston Tea Party, Concord and Lexington, did.
You equate typing behind a keyboard as the same thing as taking action against the crimes committed against British citizens by the crown. Hitting the submit button must be at least as valiant as facing a better armed, professional force. Men died at Concord and Lexington, so strong were their convictions. The accusations leveled against the British Crown in the Declaration of independence are horrific. It is a sobering document.
Old March 19, 2009, 02:27 PM   #129
gretske

Quote:
What do you base this opinion on?
A degree in journalism, a long time member of the National Press Club with over 20 years as a news journalist. What are your qualifications? Never mind, it doesn't matter, you have a right to your opinion, whatever your qualifications are.
Quote:
You equate typing behind a keyboard as the same thing as taking action against the crimes committed against British citizens by the crown.
So, I suppose Thomas Paine, Benjamin Franklin, Sam Adams and Thomas Jefferson were merely hiding behind a printing press? Or were they just a "howling mass?"
For me, end of discussion. You are not going to change my opinion, nor am I yours. I care deeply about my civil rights, you obviously don't care as much, at least not in the same way as I do. So, who is the greater patriot? Time will tell.
Now, I have to go bay at the moon.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:34 AM   #130
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
So, until proven otherwise, I am convinced that a liberal college professor used a bumbling college police department to harass a college student for his political views.
So experience is the key? I'm a college professor from 1977 and a psychologist. Thus, I am convinced from the evidence given - a news report - we cannot really understand all the motivational factors in all the actors of the piece.

My experience certainly is more relevant that the interpretation based on Fox news. Without access to the basic factors, even a reporter would not rely on second hand sources. Every evaluative discipline teaches that.

A fear motivatation and overreaction is more reasonable than a great antigun conspiracy without more information.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:03 AM   #131
gretske

Glenn -

I never, ever said experience is the key. Actually, I said the exact opposite,
Quote:
Never mind, it doesn't matter, you have a right to your opinion, whatever your qualifications are.
I was only responding to .22lr, who asked what my qualifications were, but neglected to include his own.

Again, I think we have beat this dead horse enough. Each can hold his own opinion, as far as I am concerned.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:29 AM   #132
Glenn E. Meyer

We shouldn't nitpick, I agrre - I think we have all expressed our opinions as we said.

When we get to the personal - we are getting nowhere.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:20 PM   #133
alan

Having just finished reading, for the second time, the Fox News Article at the following link, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504524,00.html, I'm given to respond to the Conn. "professor" and other college/university administrators as follows, concerning their output/comments/rationalizations.

Such absolute friggin nonsense, I have not, in 76 years of relatively unsheltered life, ever seen, read or heard, in-so-far as memory serves.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:21 PM   #134
pax

Quote:
For me, end of discussion.
Quote:
I think we have beat this dead horse enough
Quote:
I think we have all expressed our opinions as we said.
And with that, I think it's time to put this one to bed. Thanks for the thought-provoking conversation, everyone!

pax
Closed Thread