The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 2018, 10:34 AM   #1
Winny

Secondhand Semi-Autos

My LGS has a significant consignment section, compiled mostly of older hunting rifles and shotguns.

Every time I go in, regardless of what I'm there for, I stroll through the 4-5 racks of beat up wood stocks and half-loved barrels, blueing fading and handle the old Remingtons, Ithacas, Winchesters and Stevens, tempted to take one home and "clean it up" and put it back to use.

I can't justify purchasing anymore O/U's and my pump is only used a few times a year, so obviously I need an autoloader!

My most prized firearm is my Browning Citori O/U 12ga. She was my great uncles and was made in 1973. I have personally put thousands of rounds through it without a single issue. I can't imagine what had been shot through that gun in the 30-some years before it was given to me.

This makes me think that a beater semi could use some new springs and a deep clean and be good to go for next duck season.

Anybody here a pawn shop or consignment shopper with luck with Semis in the past?
Old October 16, 2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Virginian

I have bought several Remingtons, 1100s and 11-87s. No problems, never replaced a spring.
Old October 16, 2018, 10:48 AM   #3
Winny

Quote:
I have bought several Remingtons, 1100s and 11-87s. No problems, never replaced a spring.
I see a good bit of 1100s at very reasonable prices every now and then. They've been tempting me... might be time!
Old October 16, 2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Rifletom

You could do a lot worse. 1100's are a good find.
Old October 16, 2018, 12:59 PM   #5
Winny

Quote:
1100's are a good find.
I see them semi-regularly in the $350-$500 range.
Old October 16, 2018, 01:09 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Wait a few more weeks until hunting seasons are over. Gun shops will be full of used firearms. Some very slightly used too. Guys tend to blame the gun for missed shots and will sell stuff that some times they bought at the beginning of that season. You can find higher end stuff for less money than a new lower end shotgun.
"...new springs..." Those are rarely what causes a semi-auto to fail to function. Coil springs do not wear out or lose temper from being compressed. It's usually the ammo or occasionally, depending on the gun, the assorted bushings ('O' rings in Remingtons) or just plain maintenance failure. Sometimes just a bath fixes the thing.
So before you replace any parts, give it a good bath and shoot it with good ammo.
Old October 16, 2018, 03:11 PM   #7
Scorch

Yes, 1100s are a good gun, as are A-5s. In either one, 2-3/4" models are pretty much a give-away. I picked up a 2-3/4" 20 gauge 1100 about 10 years ago for $150 because it's not a 3-incher, which sold for about $300 at that time. You really don't need a 3" mag for ducks or geese, and I don't hunt ducks or geese any more, works just fine for pheasant.
Quote:
Wait a few more weeks until hunting seasons are over.
That's good advice. About January, shops will be full of used guns they are trying to sell. It's a buyer's market in February or March.

I would stick to known entities when buying used shotguns. 1100s, 11-87s, Auto-5s, Winchester 1400s, no problem, but look out for the odd ones. A friend just handed me a Franchi 48 that's missing parts. This one is going to be fun to get running again . . .
Old October 17, 2018, 07:19 AM   #8
darkgael

I have two SA shotguns, a Franchi AL48 12 gauge and a Winchester model 59 with the Winlite barrel. Both have been trouble free for the years that I have owned them. Indeed, the Winchester is a go to upland gun.
Pete
Old October 17, 2018, 07:59 AM   #9
Ricklin

Heavy and fixed chokes

The Winchester Super X 1 has a following. I keep my eyes open for a trap model.
Old October 17, 2018, 01:53 PM   #10
dgludwig

I see Browning Double Autos in decent condition on occasion at gun shows going for $500.00 or so; less if a pad has been installed and/or the gun has been otherwise modified. These guns (12 gauge only) are well-built, hand-engraved and have good handling properties-if you can live with having only two shots at your disposal.
Old October 17, 2018, 02:43 PM   #11
lamarw

If you plan to use it for waterfowl hunting, you will want to ensure it is compatible with steel shot. I would also want it chambered in 3" for the ducks and geese that don't choose to come into the decoys.
Old October 17, 2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Drm50

I buy a lot of used shotguns to shine up and use for trading stock. I like to buy
A5s or Rem/ Savage clones of A5. The biggest problem with them are friction
rings and cracked forends. Most of the time they are just gummed up from years
of use without ever being stripped down and properly cleaned. I recently had a
Rem 11-48 that was so gunked up you could shove the barrel down and it would
creep back into battery. A good cleaning, a little cold blue and a spray varnish job and it was respectable looking again. I have a A5 Vent rib right now that
looks mint on left side. Right side has rust from egg carton hard case. A $600
gun if wasn't for rust. In present state you would be lucky to get $250 out of it.
These guns are a lot more for your buck than the new junk they are putting out.
A few evenings shining them up is worth the effort. Most of these older Browning
patent guns are of milled parts, not stampings & plastic.