The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2021, 07:11 AM   #26
BCR1

The RFC gang is having fun with this one.

Bill
Old August 5, 2021, 07:47 AM   #27
std7mag

1 mile with 22lr, your un ULR territory there!

I prefer BMW to Mercedes, myself.
But hey, who am i to judge?

I really made the mistake in not following your carreer path when i was young! Lol
Took me 2 days to decide if i wanted to spend tbe money on a Lee single stage press for forming duties. In the end i "bit the bullet" & shelled out the $39.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 5, 2021, 08:09 AM   #28
stagpanther

Quote:
I really made the mistake in not following your carreer path when i was young! Lol
The path chose me. I'm old, alone, and have no heirs, so what do I have to save up for?
Quote:
1 mile with 22lr, your un ULR territory there!
I'm toying around with skipping the primer hassle and just loading spent cases with a dab of C4 (wink wink).
Old August 9, 2021, 11:48 AM   #29
stagpanther

I've picked up a lot of attention and support for my mile-long 22lr project--and a major manufacturer expressed interest and developed an ultra long range bullet. The Prazi seated it with aplomb and the runout I measured at zero! My next step is to develop the loads to drive the bullet and make adjustments to the rifle set-up to handle the extreme elevation settings that will be needed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5362.jpg (65.6 KB, 139 views)
Old August 9, 2021, 01:05 PM   #30
DaleA

Congrats.
Yeah, once in a while it's just kind of nice to step up into first class.
Old August 9, 2021, 04:29 PM   #31
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
The path chose me. I'm old, alone, and have no heirs, so what do I have to save up for?
I'm toying around with skipping the primer hassle and just loading spent cases with a dab of C4 (wink wink).
Dear Stag, By this post I am officially offering myself up for adoption. I will happily fulfill my role as your sole heir. I will call you on your birthday and every major holiday, and will send flowers to your gravesite once you've passed. All ammo loaded on my inherited Prazipress 140 will have your initials written in Sharpie so that others can join me in paying tribute to you at the range.
Upon your acceptance of my offer I'll have the adoption papers drawn up and forwarded to you for your signature.
Regards,
Potential Next of Kin
Old August 9, 2021, 04:35 PM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
Dear Stag, By this post I am officially offering myself up for adoption. I will happily fulfill my role as your sole heir. I will call you on your birthday and every major holiday, and will send flowers to your gravesite once you've passed. All ammo loaded on my inherited Prazipress 140 will have your initials written in Sharpie so that others can join me in paying tribute to you at the range.
Upon your acceptance of my offer I'll have the adoption papers drawn up and forwarded to you for your signature.
Regards,
Potential Next of Kin
It is a very significant collection--but if I agree to adopt you--what is the probability my demise might be mysteriously accelerated?
Old August 9, 2021, 04:43 PM   #33
markr6754

Should your demise come under any suspicion, I will use all of OUR resources to hunt down the culprit and bring them to justice. Plus, we'll add a provision that all goods will be sold at auction and given to charity in the event of an untimely demise. Come on, Dad, I promise I'll be good.
Old August 9, 2021, 05:26 PM   #34
stagpanther

I'll have to think about it... maybe--maybe an auction is in order, you can buy your way into my will, after all, whatever is left will become yours.
Old August 9, 2021, 07:06 PM   #35
lll Otto lll

I'm of German decent and I definitely approve.
So what dies are worthy enough for a Prazi?
Please don't say Lee....that would be like slapping a bumper sticker on a Lamborghini. I'm thinking a set of Triebel dies would be really nice....they're from the motherland as well.
Old August 9, 2021, 07:22 PM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm of German decent and I definitely approve.
So what dies are worthy enough for a Prazi?
Please don't say Lee....that would be like slapping a bumper sticker on a Lamborghini. I'm thinking a set of Triebel dies would be really nice....they're from the motherland as well.
You can use whatever you want--it comes with the 7/8" collar pre-installed and also has a 1 1/4" accessory collar included, so you can go all the way up to 50 bmg. I believe the Prazi 150 can be equipped with a 2" collar to go even bigger than 50 bmg, good to know if you want to reload for your very own anti-aircraft gun in case dinosaurs make a comeback. I won't get into a "best die" fire-fight, that's like asking what the best press is. ; )
Old August 10, 2021, 10:00 AM   #37
Unclenick
Staff

Maybe I can get you to do some specialty loading for me? I've had trouble getting my presses to properly size and seat for my 50-08 trapdoor and 257-40mm short and 257-40mm Weatherby wildcats.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50-08 Trapdoor.jpg (16.1 KB, 125 views)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 10, 2021, 06:43 PM   #38
stagpanther

I think you're in danger of hearing from Jeff Bezos' lawyers for that first one. The other two look like something madonna might use for a bra.

Apparently my mile long 22lr comment set off some waves.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 10, 2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old August 10, 2021, 07:17 PM   #39
eflyguy

Quote:
I got it mostly for loading 22lr, precision is important for loads that I intend on shooting out to a mile.
If you only knew how people were losing their minds over this statement over on another forum.
Old August 10, 2021, 07:31 PM   #40
stagpanther

Quote:
If you only knew how people were losing their minds over this statement over on another forum.
Actually, I do know--couple of the rimfire hardcores here tipped me off. It wasn't my intention to fool anyone--but it sure did give me a good laugh, plus there was some actual conjecture on how it could be done, so, ya never know. LOL I guess I should know better after using a bathroom cleaner to clean a barrel upon seeing a YouTube video.
Old August 11, 2021, 06:15 AM   #41
eflyguy

Quote:
Actually, I do know--couple of the rimfire hardcores here tipped me off. It wasn't my intention to fool anyone--but it sure did give me a good laugh, plus there was some actual conjecture on how it could be done, so, ya never know. LOL I guess I should know better after using a bathroom cleaner to clean a barrel upon seeing a YouTube video.

but.. but.. I read it on the internet..
Old August 11, 2021, 09:42 AM   #42
Unclenick
Staff

It needs a game where 22 RF model artillery pieces are used to strike model tanks and model enemy camps made of construction paper and with peel-off stick-on Shoot-N-See targets on them. It could be done with CB caps to make spotting a more reasonable possibility. The participants could even dress up in military costumes. Hmmm. Wait a minute. That sounds vaguely familiar.

Back to the press: I will be interested to hear if see any difference in ammo, whether by direct measurement or by shooting. I will also be interested to hear if you feel the ease of operation improves life.
Old August 12, 2021, 02:17 PM   #43
stagpanther

Quote:
It needs a game where 22 RF model artillery pieces are used to strike model tanks and model enemy camps made of construction paper and with peel-off stick-on Shoot-N-See targets on them. It could be done with CB caps to make spotting a more reasonable possibility. The participants could even dress up in military costumes. Hmmm. Wait a minute. That sounds vaguely familiar.

Back to the press: I will be interested to hear if see any difference in ammo, whether by direct measurement or by shooting. I will also be interested to hear if you feel the ease of operation improves life.
I'm itching to use it too--but I have to clear and rebuild the basement first to prepare a workshop ready before installing the press, probably going to take at least a few weeks.

I've been thinking about the potential for an entirely new shooting sport that makes hitting a single target with the 22lr seem like child's play. At distances over 1 thousand yards the bullets will likely be arriving far under subsonic and the potential for ricochet is probably pretty high when hitting a steel target. Now imagine having the ricochets planned to hit multiple plates and strike a final "pocket"--like long-range billiards!

Last edited by stagpanther; August 12, 2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old August 14, 2021, 06:19 AM   #44
stagpanther

Started work on the basement, cleared and cleaned the area where my reload shop will eventually go in and got the cement foundation painted and dry-locked. Fumes from that stuff are very potent--haven't been this high since the 60's.
Old August 14, 2021, 12:52 PM   #45
Unclenick
Staff

Your post from two days ago suggests something akin to skipping stones might be done. Knocking over dominos by splatter or ricochet might be a possibility. They would have to be shielded from direct fire and be shown on a video screen or some such arrangement to see them fall.
Old August 14, 2021, 02:05 PM   #46
stagpanther

LOL--of course, amidst all this 22lr long range mania, the thought has occurred to me--why not do this with 22WMR??

I just started packing bullets and powder to eventually be moved to the new reload shop--jeepers creepers, my collection of .35x bullets alone probably weigh several hundred pounds!
Old August 14, 2021, 05:26 PM   #47
eflyguy

If only Mythbusters was still a thing..
Old August 14, 2021, 08:30 PM   #48
stagpanther

Myths are more fun.