The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 27, 2021, 08:53 PM   #26
Chui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
I have both. Issued 17, personal 19. I shoot both equally well. If I had to choose between the 2, 19 all the way. Carrying the 19, 15rnd mag in the gun with 17rnd mags as spares. If in the night stand 17rnd mag with a +2 extension, 20 total in the gun with 33rnd spares.

The 19 carries a lot better imho

Also if you look at what the military is issuing, they are going to more compact guns vs full size. Not an end all but it says something to the size scenario.

Glock 45: best of both worlds. Kinda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 27, 2021, 09:05 PM   #27
JDBerg

I own one of each and both are Gen3’s. I’ve owned the 17 a lot longer than the 19, with a lot more shooting experience. The 2 guns are so close in accuracy and both are so totally reliable. If I had to choose one it would be the 19, but I think it’s good to own both.
Old July 27, 2021, 09:36 PM   #28
tomrkba

There is no need to get a Glock 17 when you have a S&W M&P 9 Compact M2.0 (who thought that was a good name?).

All you have to do is get a few M&P 17 round mags and factory spacers. You now have S&W's equivalent of a Glock 45.

You're going to dislike the grip texture for carry. You can wear a t-shirt underneath your outer garment. But, the texture is really bad for concealed carry.

If you just want another gun, then there is much to be said about getting another M&P and a few extra 17 round mags with spacers.
Old July 28, 2021, 09:28 AM   #29
Blue Duck

I have both and I prefer the 17 over the 19, but really prefer the 22 in 40 caliber to either of the nines. One gun I don't own but have shot some, is the 19X which has the 17 grip.

Personally, I would get the 19X over the 19 because I do like the longer grip better, and it comes with better sights. I carry concealed usually in inside the waste band holsters, so the longer barrel of the 17 and 22 are not an issue for me, and actually serves to keep the gun from tilting outward at the handle.

And for me I find the larger guns blend in better then the smaller 19 which seems to project a more pronounced bump under cover garments. But that's just me. I will probably never buy another 19, as the one I own just sets in the back of the safe.
Old July 28, 2021, 10:57 AM   #30
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
I watched some reviews on both last night and i'm leaning towards the Glock 17 for home defense use.
I have a G17 for home defense. It's a Gen2 and has been used for home defense since new. I have 17 and 19 round magazines for it and it has night sights.

I have large hands and prefer a full size gun since I don't carry it. I have a G26 for a CCW and a P3AT for pocket carry. A G19 for me would be my choice for a do-it-all gun.

Old July 28, 2021, 11:08 AM   #31
PatientWolf

Full disclosure; I do not own a 17.

That being said, I would throw another option at you…

A 19 with a few 17 mags with X-grips to fill extend the grip makes a nice solution. Yes, it means buying extra parts, but you have the flexibility of CCW with the option of 17-19 rounds with a continuous grip.
Old July 28, 2021, 04:06 PM   #32
Ricklin

Were I?

I think I would purchase an LE turn in 23, and a 9mm barrel.

I'm told the .40 mags work fine with 9, and can sure by 9mm mags too.

2 guns in one is kinda cool.
Old July 29, 2021, 01:36 AM   #33
Shadow9mm

I think the 19x would also be good considerations. The OPs concerns as Best I can tell are the following

home defense use
- any of these would be an adequate option.
grip size-is really person preference. The OP should go to a gun shop and handle them, If possible shoot them to compare.
magazine capacity- is somewhat of a moot point when considering home defense use. Magazine size is only really a consideration when trying to conceal the firearm. With either gun you can easily use the 17rnd, 33rnd factory mags, or one of the promag 50rnd drums, although I cant say as I would recommend the drum. Also since you don't have to carry the spare magazines around you can have as many as you want and again size is not an issue.
recoil control - to some degree does have to do with the weight of the firearm and the grip size. However I believe that even reasonably good technique plays more of factor than the difference between the sizes.

Lastly 2 issues I don't believe I were addressed. night sights and lights. I have had guns with and without night sights and with and without lights. If it is a nigh, which is roughly half of a day, you will want both. Trying to find a light switch in the dark while holding a gun is not something I want to do. It also illuminates you as well as the other person. A light directs that light away from you and at the other person making you harder to see. also with a light you might get an outline of the front sight, but the tritium dots help a lot when you are running a light. My eyes pick them up a lot faster then the sights themselves. the light will also add a few ounces out by the muzzle to help with recoil control.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; July 29, 2021 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Off-topic comments
Old July 29, 2021, 09:17 AM   #34
gaseousclay

Thx for the feedback everyone. Think I’ll stop by the LGS and handle both before deciding
Old July 29, 2021, 10:44 AM   #35
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
Thx for the feedback everyone. Think I’ll stop by the LGS and handle all three before deciding
Fixed it for ya.
Old July 29, 2021, 11:42 AM   #36
Shane Tuttle
Staff

With Glock threads having the dubious honor of going downhill faster than most, they're normally closed along with infractions given. Honestly, I should continue the tradition.

Instead, here's what I'm doing:

1.Spend time deleting/editing off-topic posts
2. Keeping the thread open....for the moment.
3. Allow a leap of faith the affected members have the smarts to take the hint to knock it off without any further need of moderation.

Catch my drift?

Fantastic.

Good talk.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 29, 2021, 01:03 PM   #37
wild cat mccane

I don't have either. Only handguns I haven't/don't own. But I am growing really tired of constant generation updates from other brands, so I'm considering the same question.

What I've read, strangely, is most people say that are more accurate with the G19 BECAUSE of the grip difference. Is that true? I don't know.

I think the G19 is a better option.

HOWEVER. Since the G48 is a thinner G19 with same capacity...If you forgo all other mag interchangeability...is the G48 better than the G19 and G17? I don't know, but I am having this pre purchase argument with my credit card right now.

Why you would need a compact barrel with a full size grip? Certainly not for concealed carry.
Old July 29, 2021, 01:43 PM   #38
TailGator

Definitely handle them, and preferably shoot them, before deciding. The hump on the back of the grip is in different spots, and that gives them a different feel. I personally prefer the shape of the 19, but that's just me. You have to decide what feels right to you.
Old July 29, 2021, 01:45 PM   #39
GeauxTide

I have a 19 and a 34. The 19 is superior for carry, the 34 puts everything in one hole at 25 yards. If I were a competitive shooter, the 34 is the BOMB. I have medium hands, so both are perfect.
Old July 29, 2021, 01:51 PM   #40
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
HOWEVER. Since the G48 is a thinner G19 with same capacity...If you forgo all other mag interchangeability...is the G48 better than the G19 and G17? I don't know, but I am having this pre purchase argument with my credit card right now.
The G48 is a single stack with a 10 round magazine that's why it's slimmer.
Old July 29, 2021, 01:58 PM   #41
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Tuttle View Post
With Glock threads having the dubious honor of going downhill faster than most, they're normally closed along with infractions given. Honestly, I should continue the tradition.

Instead, here's what I'm doing:

1.Spend time deleting/editing off-topic posts
2. Keeping the thread open....for the moment.
3. Allow a leap of faith the affected members have the smarts to take the hint to knock it off without any further need of moderation.

Catch my drift?

Fantastic.

Good talk.
clear, thank you

If capacity is a concern, and it will be primarily a home defense gun, not a carry gun I think that eliminates the 48 with the 10rnd capacity and not being able to use standard size mags. Leaves the 17, 19, and 19x

Last edited by Shadow9mm; July 29, 2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old July 29, 2021, 08:09 PM   #42
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
I think I would purchase an LE turn in 23, and a 9mm barrel.

I'm told the .40 mags work fine with 9, and can sure by 9mm mags too.

2 guns in one is kinda cool.
They can have reliability issues with conversion batrels. For a defensive gun probably not the best idea.

2 issues with the mags. Putting 9 is a 40 mag again. Has reliability issues. There is also an additional safety issue with the possibility of grabbing the wrong mag, or one you forgot had 9mm in it and firing it in the 40.

I have considered this mote than a few times though, but I wanted the Trifecta. G23, with a 9mm and 357sig conversion barrels..... would make a wicket cool range toy.
Old July 29, 2021, 09:03 PM   #43
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
I have been in the same spot multiple times over the past year, with the difference being I own a G19 and I was debating picking up a G48.

The point I would make here is the G48 is the same capacity as a G19 if you use the Shield Arms magazines. Are those magazines as reliable as Glock OEM magazines? You can read reviews all over the place. Recently I was looking at user reviews on Brownells. On the whole they are very positive. At the same time there’s a noticeable portion of 1 star reviews. It’s a weird dichotomy where you have people that say they are great and people that have terrible luck with them. The G48 also requires nonstandard lights if you plan to mount a light (might not matter to you).

In the end I had to debate to myself if the slight reduction in width of the G48 was worth potentially losing reliability when it comes to magazines. To me magazines are the soul of a semiautomatic firearm. I chose to just stick with the G19. I’m also of the opinion in owning a P365XL and owning what were formerly called compact sized double stacks that they are not the same in shooting. I think these larger micro pistols shoot very well for the size, but not as well as some people ascribe and less tolerant of poorer technique. Chris Baker describes it well in the video below (around the 9:30 mark).

https://youtu.be/mvODnCPs6fM

Old July 29, 2021, 11:05 PM   #44
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Think I’ll stop by the LGS and handle both before deciding
The G19 and G17 feel the same to me, but that's certainly not true for everyone. My wife shoots consistently better with a G19 than a G17 and says it fits her hand better.

I always try to get people at least hold a gun before buying it. Even better is to shoot it before buying, but that's not always possible. HOWEVER, in this case, assuming you live near some decently large city there's a good chance you could rent both--they're pretty common guns at the rental ranges.
Old July 30, 2021, 06:51 AM   #45
JDBerg

The OP should rent or borrow the 17 and 19 and shoot both at the local range and then decide which one fits the bill. In my case the Gen3 9mm’s worked better for me with aftermarket sights and a little trigger work. YMMV, and that is part of the process of making the gun work for what you want to use it for.
Old July 30, 2021, 08:17 AM   #46
SR420

All of them shoot well but the 19 doesn't fit my large hands, so I run 17 & 34 pistols.
Old July 30, 2021, 08:42 AM   #47
wild cat mccane

Thanks Tunnelrat for your thoughts. Exactly where I'm at now, though I went with the non XL P365. Agree they are great, but not exact same ease as (full size) compacts.

If S15 mags didn't work for me, the G48 isn't worth it given other options.
If S15 do work for me, will SA be around forever? no.
Springs in the future? Support in the future?

It's clear the G48 with S15 mags is long term trouble.

BUT....that thin reduction does feel noticeable and nicer.

Ugh. I'm more leaning to the 19, but want to love the 48. Glock should really fix this on their own. The 19 and 48 wouldn't cannibalize each other and they wouldn't have to make another gun. Come on Glock!

The G48 and G19 would still be the two top size leaders.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; July 30, 2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old July 30, 2021, 12:19 PM   #48
TunnelRat

Glock 17 vs Glock 19

I do agree the reduction in width is noticeable. FWIW you can buy extra springs from Shield Arms if that is a concern.

I don’t think we’ll ever see Glock rectify this on their own. They seem to be tied to polymer encased magazines. Other manufacturers seem to be taking up some of that space though.

Have you ever thought of buying an XL grip module and dropping your P365 guts into that? You’d essentially have a P365X. It’s not overly costly to try either.

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 30, 2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old July 31, 2021, 08:41 AM   #49
highpower3006

I have been watching this thread since it's inception. I find so, so typical that so many posters just can't wait to veer off the main topic and start touting their own non Glock favorites.

I have some experience with Glocks dating back to the early 90's and I currently have several G17's from an early Gen1 up to a Gen3 and a new factory P80 clone. I also have had a Gen3 G19 for many years and a recent addition G48 with Shield Arms magazines. here are my thoughts on the matter:

Since the OP said it was primarily going to be used as a home defense gun, then it's a no-brainer, get the 17. Since size isn't going to be an issue the G17 would be great for a HD weapon. I love my G17's and mine from the oldest to the newest have been absolutely 100% reliable.

OTH, if the Op thinks that somewhere down the road he may want to use it as a carry gun, then the G19 would better suited for the job. Not because the barrel is shorter, but rather because the grip is a bit shorter and that is the hardest part of a handgun to conceal. I find no practical difference in accuracy potential between a G17 or G19. I have heard that using G17 mags in a G19 without the sleeve adaptor may lead to feeding issues as the mag can move around. Because of that I have a half dozen G17 mags that have the Glock sleeve installed and I personally have had zero issues when using them in my G19.

As for the G48, guys, the OP didn't mention a thing about wanting one, just whether he should get a G17 or G19. However, I will mention that the G48 with the Shield Arms 15 round magazine is hands down my favorite carry gun. And if the OP was interested in a carry gun that would be my recommendation.
Old July 31, 2021, 08:48 AM   #50
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower3006 View Post
I have been watching this thread since it's inception. I find so, so typical that so many posters just can't wait to veer off the main topic and start touting their own non Glock favorites.
In the grand scheme of things I think this thread has been pretty good. A number of the recommendations for other pistols were people suggesting the OP consider looking at a full-size M&P, which makes sense as the OP owns the compact M&P currently.