The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 22, 2021, 03:31 PM   #1
samsmix

Percussion Shotgun

Who makes a percussion SxS shotgun these days without paying the $1200 for a Pedersoli?
Petersoli's are worth it, but I have a friend who can't afford one, and is...ahem....restricted to hunting with antique "non-firearms".

(If he gets one, I'm buying myself a Pedersoli I told him I'd be a gentleman and use black powder when I'm with him.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old April 22, 2021, 06:36 PM   #2
105kw

You might try Gunbroker.
I just browsed Muzzleloaders, and 12 gauge, and found 3 or 4 at not bad prices.
Old April 22, 2021, 07:15 PM   #3
Oliver Sudden

You may want to research the law, in this state a felon can’t hunt with a muzzle loader.
Old April 23, 2021, 10:21 AM   #4
Pahoo

Staying on point

Quote:
You may want to research the law, in this state a felon can’t hunt with a muzzle loader.
Or worse yet, you could poke your eye out. .....

samsmix
Sure wished, you lived in Iowa as I have a Pedersoli that rightfully, needs a better home ... ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 24, 2021, 04:36 AM   #5
TruthTellers

If he's willing to have a custom stock made, this is probably the cheapest he's going to pay for a SxS 12ga muzzlestuffing scattergun:

https://americanguncraft.com/product...hotgun-pistol/
Old April 24, 2021, 06:34 AM   #6
Hawg

I'd look for a used Pedersoli.
Old April 24, 2021, 07:21 AM   #7
noelf2

Used Pedersoli or CVA double would be the cheapest way to go. People don't seem to let them go very often though. You could even do well finding an old belgium made double percussion, but try to avoid damascus steel and have the gun checked by a competent smith. From my experience, you will find a good double percussion when you stop looking for them.
Old April 25, 2021, 09:21 AM   #8
Hellgate

At the first chance hit some gun shows and check out the BP guys. I found a clunker India made 12ga SXS in fine shape (no rust anywhere, clean bore) for about 100 bucks. I only wanted a ML 12ga SXS and didn't want to pay $1000 for a gun I would only occasionally shoot. On the barrel it stated “Max load 90gr FFg 1 1/4 oz shot”. Good ‘nuff. I doubt the powder, wads, and shot care whether the gun costs a thou or 1/10 that amount.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old April 25, 2021, 04:03 PM   #9
noelf2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
At the first chance hit some gun shows and check out the BP guys. I found a clunker India made 12ga SXS in fine shape (no rust anywhere, clean bore) for about 100 bucks. I only wanted a ML 12ga SXS and didn't want to pay $1000 for a gun I would only occasionally shoot. On the barrel it stated “Max load 90gr FFg 1 1/4 oz shot”. Good ‘nuff. I doubt the powder, wads, and shot care whether the gun costs a thou or 1/10 that amount.
This difference comes down to quality. Sure they will go boom, but how well the barrels are regulated is a consideration for most enthusiasts.
Old April 25, 2021, 05:14 PM   #10
Hellgate

The beater ML had better regulation of the barrels than one of my IGA Coach Guns but your point is valid.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old April 27, 2021, 11:22 PM   #11
Jbar4Ranch

What Oliver Sudden said. I was in that situation here in Montana about 18 years back, and antique arms were also verboten.

SASS 47015
Old April 29, 2021, 08:16 AM   #12
5whiskey

Some states allow for felons to possess muzzleloading firearms, some do not. As others have said have your buddy check his states current laws.

I also want a percussion shotgun, just because I enjoy black powder shooting. The question is whether I go in more of a coach gun direction, or if I get one to actually hunt with. There are a good number of cheap guns out there with Damascus barrels. I would not automatically exclude one if it were in good shape. A quality twist steel barrel that isn’t corroded should be safe for BP, of course modern ammo would be a no go.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 12, 2021, 08:44 AM   #13
bladesmith 1

I shouldn't say it because prices will go up on them, BUT, nitro is safe in Damascus barrel shotguns IF the barrels are in good shape. Sherman Bell did test of 20 Damascus wall hangers about 10 years ago in the DGJ and couldn't blow any of them up with Remington proof loads rated at 18,500psi - 12ga loads are all under 12,000psi. He took one gun up to 32,000psi before he could get a barrel to let go. That's not to say any or all Damascus guns could do that. Just that they ain't all that unsafe to shoot. In a latter test he did 20 some cheap after market Damascus twist barrel shotguns. Same results with proof loads. I have 10 Damascus barrel shotguns and shoot one or the other three times a week at the club. I also put on a SxS Shoot once a year for the past 17 years and many a Damascus gun shows up and is shot. Never a problem.
Back to the OPs question. Navy Arms use to sell SxS shotguns. A couple years back I sold two of them, 1 a 12 and a 10ga. If memory serves me correct I got around 400 for each. There should be some of them out there and they're a decent well made guns.