The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2019, 07:43 PM   #1
Metric

in praise of the Glock 48

I'm really digging the Glock 48 for one core reason. It lets me realistically EDC (most days) my "one pistol for everything" pistol. That's new.

Before the 48, my "one pistol for everything" would probably, somewhat grudgingly, have been the Glock 19, even though it's been about a year since I shot the thing. The G19 is wonderfully general-purpose, but it still takes some effort to conceal, compared to all the specialized, "nearly-pocket 9's" on the market. At the same time, those nearly-pocket 9's sacrifice too much shootability for me to appreciate them as general-purpose pistols that I enjoy shooting outdoors. They monopolized my carry time, but it's hard for me to really bond with them.

Enter the Glock 48. Extremely shootable with a barrel length slightly longer than the G19, full five-finger grip, but the over-arching theme and feel of the design is "no wasted space." Not as tiny as the nearly-pocket 9's, but the thin profile does make it realistic to carry on most days.

Suddenly, I have a "do everything" pistol back at the core of my carry and plinking rotation. I can bond with the thing.

I've been critical of the current handgun market. It seems to me that everyone is churning out the same thing. You could let a headless chicken decide your next handgun choice, South Park style, with zero consequences. But if you want a single-action design, you had better really, really like the exact size, shape, and weight of the 1911. Slender single-stacks are rare, too.

Because of this, I have tended to admire a lot of fine vintage pistols. P7's, P8's, Firestars, P210's, etc.

But suddenly, that classic example of fine german over-engineering, the HK P7, doesn't look so slender anymore. It's downright thick, compared to the G48. And it holds 8 to the G48's 10. What a waste of space!

Of course I'll have to perform a few tweaks to get the trigger just right, but the G48 gives me the warm and fuzzies like no new pistol has in a long, long time.
Old May 20, 2019, 09:35 PM   #2
223 shooter

The G48 is only the 3rd Glock I ever picked up that felt good in my hand - the others being a G42 and G43. I will most likely be picking up a G48 in the not too distant future. I do wish it was all black and not two tone. But I'll still take it over any double stack Glock out there.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Snuffy308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
I'm really digging the Glock 48 for one core reason. It lets me realistically EDC (most days) my "one pistol for everything" pistol. That's new.

Before the 48, my "one pistol for everything" would probably, somewhat grudgingly, have been the Glock 19, even though it's been about a year since I shot the thing. The G19 is wonderfully general-purpose, but it still takes some effort to conceal, compared to all the specialized, "nearly-pocket 9's" on the market. At the same time, those nearly-pocket 9's sacrifice too much shootability for me to appreciate them as general-purpose pistols that I enjoy shooting outdoors. They monopolized my carry time, but it's hard for me to really bond with them.

Enter the Glock 48. Extremely shootable with a barrel length slightly longer than the G19, full five-finger grip, but the over-arching theme and feel of the design is "no wasted space." Not as tiny as the nearly-pocket 9's, but the thin profile does make it realistic to carry on most days.

Suddenly, I have a "do everything" pistol back at the core of my carry and plinking rotation. I can bond with the thing.

I've been critical of the current handgun market. It seems to me that everyone is churning out the same thing. You could let a headless chicken decide your next handgun choice, South Park style, with zero consequences. But if you want a single-action design, you had better really, really like the exact size, shape, and weight of the 1911. Slender single-stacks are rare, too.

Because of this, I have tended to admire a lot of fine vintage pistols. P7's, P8's, Firestars, P210's, etc.

But suddenly, that classic example of fine german over-engineering, the HK P7, doesn't look so slender anymore. It's downright thick, compared to the G48. And it holds 8 to the G48's 10. What a waste of space!

Of course I'll have to perform a few tweaks to get the trigger just right, but the G48 gives me the warm and fuzzies like no new pistol has in a long, long time.
Described very succinctly. Above pretty much mirrors my interpretation of this pistol. I would expect an all black model in the near future.
Old May 21, 2019, 07:10 AM   #4
Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 shooter View Post
The G48 is only the 3rd Glock I ever picked up that felt good in my hand - the others being a G42 and G43. I will most likely be picking up a G48 in the not too distant future. I do wish it was all black and not two tone. But I'll still take it over any double stack Glock out there.
My hands are not exactly small, but I have always appreciated thinner grips for their natural indexing. One can get used to fat grips, but they don't so easily tell you which way the gun is pointing. The G48 is indeed great in the hand, and a natural pointer.

And it's just damn neat that the slide width on a five-finger Glock is now thinner than the 1911 as well. I never really expected Glock to be the one to do it, but I gotta give them credit.
Old May 21, 2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy308 View Post
Described very succinctly. Above pretty much mirrors my interpretation of this pistol. I would expect an all black model in the near future.
My favorite pistol designs have always been the ones that use exactly enough material for the purpose, and no more. Not necessarily "tiny" (e.g. not super-short barrels or grips), but a pistol where you immediately feel the economy of design throughout.

J. M. Browning was a master at this. First series Colt Woodsman. Colt 1903. Etc. Exactly enough to do the job, and no wasted space. You can feel it.

Something I've sorely missed from the modern line-up, and happy to see finally coming back.
Old May 21, 2019, 07:40 AM   #6
USNRet93

I looked hard at the 43, 43X and 48..very tough decision for me as, like the OP, had a -19, shot a -26...and didn't love the grip. I DO have a -17 and love the feel and way it shoots but I'm not going to EDC that monster(to me).
Quote:
At the same time, those nearly-pocket 9's sacrifice too much shootability for me to appreciate them as general-purpose pistols that I enjoy shooting outdoors
I agree...If I'm going to own a handgun, I want to shoot it, a LOT..why I got rid of a Ruger LC9S, Ruger LCP, S&W 642..failed in the FTS(FunToShoot) category.
Range/etc shooting is the main use of any handgun, si? Gotta be FTS first and foremost, to me.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 21, 2019, 07:46 AM   #7
Tallest

I really find this interesting. I too, have recently acquired a G 48, and I can't disagree with anything stated in the OP description. I'm 6'8" barefoot, and while I can more easily conceal bigger pistols like the G17 and G19, the comfort level of CC with the G48 is leagues ahead. It's amazing how much difference a few fractions of an inch can make. And 10+1 is really a great capacity for so comfortable and "shootable" a gun.

But... When it comes to training, and recreational shooting, I find the G48 is pointing back to first and truest love, the Gen 3 G19 I gave to friend to take overseas. I don't regret doing it, it still feels like it was a privilege. But I'll be seeking out another 19 soon. I think it may be the weight. Perhaps I just need to practice with the 48 more, but it seems a lot harder to keep it down when firing consecutive shots.

Also, while this is only cosmetic, the slope on the top of the chamber just doesn't look like a Glock should to my way of thinking.

Lastly, I don't think they'll ever make a light I like for something so small. So the new G19 will be dressed with a Surefire X300 and probably live in the bed table.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 21, 2019, 10:54 AM   #8
Metric

Of course nothing can be taken away from the classic G19, with its universal capabilities. But I have to say it's awesome that someone finally identified this hole in the market -- a hope I'd almost given up on.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:34 AM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Of course nothing can be taken away from the classic G19, with its universal capabilities. But I have to say it's awesome that someone finally identified this hole in the market -- a hope I'd almost given up on.
The irony is single stack 9mms of larger size existed decades ago. The 3rd Gen Smiths had options, and we can even go back further. Granted they weren't as svelte as today, but the concept is the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 21, 2019, 12:39 PM   #10
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
The irony is single stack 9mms of larger size existed decades ago. The 3rd Gen Smiths had options, and we can even go back further. Granted they weren't as svelte as today, but the concept is the same.

Perhaps the "hole" mentioned is in the modern, striker-fired, composite gun market. While the single stack 9mms have definitely been around a long time, have they ever been as concise and concealable?

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 21, 2019, 12:54 PM   #11
TunnelRat

I guess. I have to be honest, I didn't find what was out there before the G48 hard to conceal. But I understand that varies person to person. Even still, there were polymer striker-fired handguns that were very slim for some time with Kahr. I do understand the trigger is different.

If someone looks at what's out there now and says, "This works for me", then great for them and the market as a whole. To me it's history repeated with a different coat of paint and it doesn't do much, again for me.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 21, 2019, 01:19 PM   #12
sarge912

I Usually put innertube sections, turned inside out, on my Glock grips.

It worked ok on my G48 but I found that I missed the finger grooves on my G19 so I added the Hogue grip.

https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-...stboardscon-20

Be sure you get the Small (HandAll Tactical Grip Sleeve Small Black (17110) )

Last edited by sarge912; May 21, 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 21, 2019, 01:41 PM   #13
sarge912

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 shooter View Post
You might want to consider the G43X as well (still has the silver slide though.) I have owned both (one of my kids got the G43X from me already We both qualified with our respective pistols today and they stood up quite well. You wouldn't think .70 of an inch would make much difference for concealment but it does seem to and they shoot almost identically.
Old May 21, 2019, 02:06 PM   #14
Tallest

Quote:
I guess. I have to be honest, I didn't find what was out there before the G48 hard to conceal. But I understand that varies person to person. Even still, there were polymer striker-fired handguns that were very slim for some time with Kahr. I do understand the trigger is different.

If someone looks at what's out there now and says, "This works for me", then great for them and the market as a whole. To me it's history repeated with a different coat of paint and it doesn't do much, again for me.
I don't disagree at all. But that seems to be the nature of all consumer markets over time. And occasionally, the advancements of technology allow for improvements, such as stronger, lighter materials making for more durable, comfortably carried hand guns.

Old May 21, 2019, 03:05 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Right, but again we've had those stronger, lighter materials in similar sized single stack pistols before the G43/X/48. In the end it doesn't matter much, but seeing as this is the internet obviously my opinion must be heard.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 21, 2019, 03:24 PM   #16
Tallest

Hahahaha! And since this is the internet, I'm obligated to challenge your opinion with my own. And if we're not careful, we'll assert our opinions as facts.

Old May 21, 2019, 05:01 PM   #17
jmr40

Will the 10 round G43X and G48 magazines work in the smaller G43? I know that with all of the other platforms that works. I carry 15 round mags in my G19, but have 17 and 33 round mags that work just fine.

Winston Churchill
Old May 21, 2019, 05:41 PM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Will the 10 round G43X and G48 magazines work in the smaller G43? I know that with all of the other platforms that works. I carry 15 round mags in my G19, but have 17 and 33 round mags that work just fine.
Last I saw they do not. The frames are slightly different.

Old May 21, 2019, 05:52 PM   #19
Metric

Quote:
Yeah, it was pretty common way back. I like a lot of the vintage pieces.

Then the modern market hit. Pretty much everything converged to big, plastic-frame, striker-fired service pistols, chopped down versions of same (not slim), and some micro-pistols designed for maximum concealment.

On the plus side, average reliability got a lot better. On the minus side, real choices mostly evaporated.

Now it's interesting that the P365XL is also scheduled to hit the market. We're seeing the slim but full-grip pistols coming back to the market, having evolved out of the micro-pistol line, rather than independently, or as a further mod of a duty pistol.
Old May 21, 2019, 06:06 PM   #20
amd6547

I fully see the appeal, but the G26 fills all my needs for a compact 9mm. For me it’s easy to carry, and I appreciate the magazine versatility.
Old May 21, 2019, 07:13 PM   #21
OhioGuy

Ditto -- another non Glock guy here, who has to admit the 48 is a really well executed design.

If the aftermarket 15 round magazines become real this will be a game changer
Old May 21, 2019, 08:11 PM   #22
unclenunzie

I will add my voice in praise of the 48. I bought mine about 5 weeks ago, and it's a perfect fit. I have plenty of pistol choices already, but none match the carry comfort and full grip at the same time. It's a great package.

4+" barrel (besides increased sight radius, velocity and accuracy, the extra length torques the grip closer to my side, better concealment)
10+1
thin enough to really make a difference
lightweight
reliable
after-market support

And I like the two-tone look
Old May 21, 2019, 10:14 PM   #23
sarge912

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Ditto -- another non Glock guy here, who has to admit the 48 is a really well executed design.

If the aftermarket 15 round magazines become real this will be a game changer
I'd be happy with a two round extender.
Old May 22, 2019, 05:56 AM   #24
OhioGuy

So here's a question -- apart from capacity (and 10+1 vs. 8+1 isn't that huge), why was Springfield's 4" XD-S never a big seller, and in fact they dropped it from their lineup?

The XD-S isn't a class leader but it's always been popular and reliable as hell. If you put their 8 round extended magazine in it, and lay it next to a new Glock 48, they're dimensionally very similar. I think Glock wins on ergonomics, but then again their new Mod.2 XD-S is very ergonomic.

Was the world just not ready for a slim gun with a 4" slide?

(They've since released their XD-E hammer-fired single stack in both a 4" and a 5" extended slide, but that gun is really a niche market thing -- weirdos like me who still cling to guns, religion and external hammers).
Old May 22, 2019, 06:00 AM   #25
sarge912

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
So here's a question -- apart from capacity (and 10+1 vs. 8+1 isn't that huge), why was Springfield's 4" XD-S never a big seller, and in fact they dropped it from their lineup?

The XD-S isn't a class leader but it's always been popular and reliable as hell. If you put their 8 round extended magazine in it, and lay it next to a new Glock 48, they're dimensionally very similar. I think Glock wins on ergonomics, but then again their new Mod.2 XD-S is very ergonomic.

Was the world just not ready for a slim gun with a 4" slide?

(They've since released their XD-E hammer-fired single stack in both a 4" and a 5" extended slide, but that gun is really a niche market thing -- weirdos like me who still cling to guns, religion and external hammers).
Never handled the XD-S but with the G43X and the G48, I knew the moment I picked them up that I would be able to shoot them well. They just felt right.