The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 18, 2017, 06:01 PM   #1
noobwitha22

The new guy...

Hello all, the newest guy here. I put in for my firearms permit last week and awaiting the results. In the mean time I am researching all I can about shooting and different types of guns. I also plan on getting to a firing range to rent and try out guns I am thinking about purchasing. The Smith and Wesson Victory is currently in the lead. I got the chance to put some guns in my hand the other day and I just liked the overall feel of it in my hand, plus it looks pretty good to me.

I am going to start off with a .22lr. As there are several that fall into my price range and I really just want a target gun. Also I should save on ammo with a .22 since money is tight still for me.

Any other suggestions from the experts here on other guns in that $400 range? Doesn't necessarily need to be .22lr but i think that is good place for a noob to start.
Old October 18, 2017, 06:07 PM   #2
Mr. Hill

Browning buckmark. I think the less expensive camper model comes with 3 mags.
Old October 18, 2017, 06:19 PM   #3
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hill View Post
Browning buckmark. I think the less expensive camper model comes with 3 mags.
Not a bad looking pistol. A few different versions to choose from as well. Hopefully I can put my hands on one, time to search the shops near me for one. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old October 18, 2017, 06:36 PM   #4
turtlehead

SW22 Victory is a great choice. If I didn't have a 41 I'd buy one. Still might, if the HPA goes through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyS8OWNPZzs
Old October 18, 2017, 06:46 PM   #5
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlehead View Post
SW22 Victory is a great choice. If I didn't have a 41 I'd buy one. Still might, if the HPA goes through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyS8OWNPZzs
I literally watched that video a couple of hours ago. I have seen some pictures of the Victory with compensators on them and they look great, also like the picatinny rail with red dot. But any upgrades will be added much later, starting with either grips or the trigger change.
Old October 18, 2017, 06:47 PM   #6
BigBL87

My top two would be a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger 22/45 if I were looking at target-style 22's.
Old October 18, 2017, 07:13 PM   #7
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
My top two would be a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger 22/45 if I were looking at target-style 22's.
I like the Ruger MKIV 22/45 another gun I hope I can get a hands on with. I am thinking I would like to get a gun with the threaded barrel, be nice to be able to just add a compensator on when I eventually can afford one.

You all have given me some really nice options so far, it definitely will make my decision harder, Thank you.
Old October 18, 2017, 07:46 PM   #8
otasan

I'd get a Ruger MkII.
Old October 18, 2017, 07:53 PM   #9
turtlehead

All good options... But I'd take the Mark IV over the II for ease of disassembly.
Old October 18, 2017, 07:55 PM   #10
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan View Post
I'd get a Ruger MkII.
Are the MkII's only used? Are they discontinued like the MkIII's are/will be? Don't think I want to go used for my first gun. I am ignorant to things like warranties for guns but I would think a used gun has no warranty. And although I don't really expect much to happen, I just like the peace of mind.
Old October 18, 2017, 08:19 PM   #11
turtlehead

The Mark II isn't made anymore.
Old October 18, 2017, 08:28 PM   #12
Troy800

Ruger or buckmark would both be great choices. I have a Ruger mark III and it shoots great. Alot of aftermarket options for the Ruger if you decide to tinker with it later.
Old October 18, 2017, 08:38 PM   #13
MandolinMan

My first was a Ruger Mark III target. Thousands of rounds of cheap, bulk pack ammo and still runs great!
Old October 18, 2017, 11:20 PM   #14
BigBL87

The 22/45 Tactical would give you a threaded barrel and plenty of rail space for goodies down the road. This is just one place, but you can find them u set $400 quite a few places.

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/ruger-ma...-tactical.html
Old October 19, 2017, 02:25 AM   #15
HistoryJunky

I have had good experience with my Ruger Mark III Hunter. It comes with a heavy profile fluted barrel and a fiber optic front sight.

It shoots any .22 ammo I have put through it that is designed for a semi-auto. And it is accurate to boot.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old October 19, 2017, 03:38 AM   #16
PatientWolf

The Victory would be a good choice.

As others have mentioned, the Rugers are good as well, but with the recalls on the Mark 4 series, I'd probably lean toward the S&W.
Old October 19, 2017, 07:43 AM   #17
adamBomb

I like the victory a lot. I am going to be in the market in the spring for a .22 handgun and rifle to teach my oldest son how to shoot. Its a great caliber to learn on for anyone for a number of reasons.
Old October 19, 2017, 08:49 AM   #18
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobwitha22 View Post
Are the MkII's only used? Are they discontinued like the MkIII's are/will be? Don't think I want to go used for my first gun. I am ignorant to things like warranties for guns but I would think a used gun has no warranty. And although I don't really expect much to happen, I just like the peace of mind.
I didn't realize that the Ruger .22 pistols were up to Mk III! I am an old man, and time flies.
Old October 19, 2017, 09:33 AM   #19
noobwitha22

It seems most are in the same mindset in what guns would be best. I did not know about the recalls, thanks for that heads up. I really don't want to buy online, here in NJ you have to have it shipped to someone who is certified and it costs on average another $50. One shop I have been in said they can pretty much order in anything I would want. I also need to find a range that has the Ruger for rent, do not want to buy something I have no clue how it feels or shoots.

I want to put the Smith and Wesson and the Ruger in my hand and see what else the shops have to put my hands on. I like the idea of being able to tinker with the gun in the future, I am not one to just go plain jane, so to speak. I was looking at some of the upgrades for both guns and I know I want to go with a threaded barrel to add a compensator on and add a picatinny rail (I know not necessary on the Ruger). Eventually I would like to add a small red dot site, light, laser, bayonet, butt stock, fore grip, extended mag. Did I miss anything?
Old October 19, 2017, 09:37 AM   #20
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobwitha22 View Post
It seems most are in the same mindset in what guns would be best. I did not know about the recalls, thanks for that heads up. I really don't want to buy online, here in NJ you have to have it shipped to someone who is certified and it costs on average another $50. One shop I have been in said they can pretty much order in anything I would want. I also need to find a range that has the Ruger for rent, do not want to buy something I have no clue how it feels or shoots.

I want to put the Smith and Wesson and the Ruger in my hand and see what else the shops have to put my hands on. I like the idea of being able to tinker with the gun in the future, I am not one to just go plain jane, so to speak. I was looking at some of the upgrades for both guns and I know I want to go with a threaded barrel to add a compensator on and add a picatinny rail (I know not necessary on the Ruger). Eventually I would like to add a small red dot site, light, laser, bayonet, butt stock, fore grip, extended mag. Did I miss anything?
I feel sorry for you - living in anti-gun NJ.
Old October 19, 2017, 07:30 PM   #21
turtlehead

Bayonet and a buttstock on a pistol, huh...
Old October 19, 2017, 08:09 PM   #22
FITASC

Exactly................
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 19, 2017, 09:03 PM   #23
noobwitha22

Quote:
I feel sorry for you - living in anti-gun NJ.
Yeah I am learning that the more I do research.

Quote:
Bayonet and a buttstock on a pistol, huh...
Quote:
Exactly................
I am kidding, hence all the ridiculous add-ons.
Old October 19, 2017, 09:23 PM   #24
marine6680

22lr is a great choice for a beginner... And now that 22lr ammo is pretty common again, prices are not insane, and you can buy it at your leisure. After the last big gun control scare, 22 ammo was a unicorn for many.

The S&W Victory is a fine choice. I hear many good things about it. It has gained an aftermarket as well. So if you decide to tinker sometime down the line, you can.

The Ruger Mk series has the largest aftermarket. And they are fine pistols. From my understanding, they have the issue fixed on the new MkIV model. I really like the easy disassembly of the MkIV...

I would not suggest an earlier Mk for a complete noob, with little outside support. I have been taking apart and cleaning firearms since I was 10... often without a manual as a guide... And the first time I got a Mk III a few years ago, even using the manual, I messed up the reassembly, and about couldn't fix my screw up. It's easier to do now that I know, but I cussed for over an hour when the hammer got trapped and I couldn't get it together or back apart the first time.
Old October 19, 2017, 09:28 PM   #25
noobwitha22

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
22lr is a great choice for a beginner... And now that 22lr ammo is pretty common again, prices are not insane, and you can buy it at your leisure. After the last big gun control scare, 22 ammo was a unicorn for many.

The S&W Victory is a fine choice. I hear many good things about it. It has gained an aftermarket as well. So if you decide to tinker sometime down the line, you can.

The Ruger Mk series has the largest aftermarket. And they are fine pistols. From my understanding, they have the issue fixed on the new MkIV model. I really like the easy disassembly of the MkIV...

I would not suggest an earlier Mk for a complete noob, with little outside support. I have been taking apart and cleaning firearms since I was 10... often without a manual as a guide... And the first time I got a Mk III a few years ago, even using the manual, I messed up the reassembly, and about couldn't fix my screw up. It's easier to do now that I know, but I cussed for over an hour when the hammer got trapped and I couldn't get it together or back apart the first time.
Thank you for the info.