The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 21, 2016, 01:08 PM   #26
Mr. Hill

All of those bullets will kill deer. Use whichever is the most accurate through your rifle.
Old October 21, 2016, 02:35 PM   #27
lefteye

Assuming all of the bullets are designed for deer hunting I would use the one that I shot most accurately practicing with the rifle before deer season. After this deer season you can research factory loads for the 7mm-08, buy some, shoot them, and make your choice for the next deer season. (You may eventually choose reloading, another enjoyable and time-consuming hobby that becomes part of hunting.)
Old October 21, 2016, 04:16 PM   #28
Roadkill2228

140s are kind of bread and butter for that cartridge, it's the right size for them at ordinary ranges. The 7-08 has moderate enough velocity that bullet blow up isn't that likely. The same bullets might be explosive out of the 7 magnums, but at 7-08 velocities they should perform with delightfully boring predictability.
Old October 21, 2016, 05:01 PM   #29
22-rimfire

Quote:
Historically, in 7mm, the 139/140-grain bullets have been the traditional "deer bullet".
That would be my choice as well without knowing anything else. I use standard 150 gr jacketed soft points in my 270 win and have for years. Shots are like yours. Deer aren't that hard to kill, but I believe in the traditional "deer rifle" range of calibers generally as being the best choice.
Old October 24, 2016, 12:56 AM   #30
Zorro

140s.

3000 FPS projectiles cause overly severe meat damage up close.

It isn't the perfect shot you should choose a bullet for.

You should pick a bullet for the time you screw up a and shoot the deer in an iffy spot and at a bad angle and still work.

Copper 140s are the bullet of choice for 7MM for deer.
Old October 24, 2016, 08:40 AM   #31
jackstrawIII

Any of them WILL work, no doubt. As has been said, middle of the road is usually a safe bet, but don't worry about it too much.

Also, at 100 yards, the point of impact shouldn't vary considerably between bullet weights. Obviously it will change some, but you're aiming at a 9" target... so the inch or two of change isn't a big deal.
Old October 30, 2016, 05:10 PM   #32
Clark

140 gr at 477 yards, bang flip, 4 hooves in the air

Out of a 7mmRemMag i have shot deer with 120, 140, 150, and 162.

The 140 does best in Quickload Quicktarget trajectory.
The 140 does best for me on targets.
The 140 make the deer bang flop for me.

In 458 I go to the range but never hunt
In 35 Whelen I go to the range but never hunt
In 338WM I go to the range but never hunt
In 8x57mm I like the 180 gr Nos Bal tip
In 300WinMag, 30-06, 308, i like the 150 gr Nos Bal tip
In 7mmRM I like 140 gr Nos Bal tip
In 270 I like the 130 gr nos bal tip
in 6.5-06, 6.5x55, 260, I like 120 gr Nos Bal tip
in 257RAI, 25-06 I like the 115 gr Nos Bal tip
In 6mmRem, 243, 6mmBR, I like the 95 gr Nos bal tip
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 3, 2016, 05:58 AM   #33
Jack O'Conner

My sister-in-law hunts with a Browning lever gun in 7mm-08 and shoots 140 grain Nosler Partitions for deer, elk, and antelope. It's a sturdy built bullet but not too tough to prevent rapid mushroom performance. She zeros her rifle three inches high at 100 yards which places the bullet dead on at about 225 yards.

Jack
Old November 3, 2016, 09:59 AM   #34
double bogey

I use 139 gr. hornady interlock in my 7mm mag. When Academy hit the metroplex, there wasn't one near me, so I would drive across the metroplex to get a couple of boxes of the hornady custom ammo. Never could duplicate the speed handloading, but the accuracy part was easy. I have never shot a deer with that bullet that was more than 20' from where I hit him.

Any of the bullets you are discussing will kill deer. shot placement is what matters.
Old November 7, 2016, 11:09 AM   #35
bamaranger

questions

No shame in "newbie" questions. We all like to read and talk it up, and as a rule, will treat the OP right. I'm quite pleased with the tone and attitude of our forums.

Generally speaking, the low end of traditional cup and core bullet weights on the medium calibers is often intended as a "heavy varminter" load, ie 110/.30, 90/.270, 55/.243 (?), and so forth. They are fast and flatter than heavier slugs by some margin, and will no doubt kill deer sized game, but that is usually not their intended design. As noted, if you have bigger deer, or cannot pick and choose your shots, you may be disappointed in the penetration of the lighter bullet. But many whitetails are not very big critters, running around 150 lbs live in many instances, and can be taken with a wide range of bullet weights. As example, I have a 115/.270 load for my R.O.W rifle, because it is so fast and flat and expansion will occur even at longer ranges. And our southern whitetails are often just not all that big, though once in a while.........

That does not apply to the modern alloy premium space bullets, that can run light for caliber, but are still very tough slugs. Personally, I can't justify the cost of of premium bullet, on smaller whitetails, so don't use them....except for the Partition in .243.

There is much wisdom in the advice of "what shoots best in your rifle". I'd lean towards the 140 range, just because, and shoot a few brands and see.
Old November 8, 2016, 05:03 PM   #36
Carmike

Thanks for all the helpful info, guys. I do think these forums are among the best I've seen for not "flaming" people who ask newbie (or even "dumb") questions (I've asked them myself, I'll admit it).

The first weekend has come and gone, and I didn't get to pull the trigger. I'm using the 150 gr bullets for now. The rifle is sighted in for 140 gr, so hopefully the extra 10 grains don't make too much of a difference at 50 yards, give or take.
Old November 8, 2016, 05:43 PM   #37
Dufus

Quote:
For my uses, will the bullet I choose make much of a difference?
Bullet construction matters more than anything as to what is suitable.

Big northern deer require a little different construction than the smallish white tail deer in central Texas do.

Do a little homework and then use what you have learned to make a choice. If you pick the wrong one, it won't take long to find out. You either get a DRT or a DRT a quarter mile away. AND, that depends on shot placement.