The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 26, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
ClydeFrog

new CNN.com article on the US gun industry/shooting sports...

I read a new gun industry/shooting sports article on www.cnn.com .

It wasn't anti 2A or anti gun but explained how many US firms are either out of stock, lack the raw materials to produce firearms/ammunition or have major labor issues/$$$ problems.
The reporter spoke to DRT ammo; www.drtammo.com , which added a 3rd shift to meet demands. Red Jacket Firearms, the company behind the "unscripted" TV series Sons of Guns(which had a series of ATF problems) stated they can't find skilled workers/labor & they quit taking AR orders to meet the backlog.

A few companies hired temp workers/staff but as posted on TFL & other forums, the QC-standards may suffer due to over-worked employees & lack of material.

It's good to see US firms get profits & hire staff but I'd hope they keep the QC standards high.

CF
Old March 26, 2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Patriot86

I think you are onto something Clyde. Back when a product I sell, Water Source Heat Pumps were going crazy a few years back the manufacturer I represent brought in unskilled labor. Ontop of that everyone was going crazy trying to re-design their products due to the phase out of R-22. The results, as predicted were a disaster for a while.

Its still too early in this thing to tell if that will be the case with guns but SOME manufacturers are going to slip a bit, take short cuts etc just to push product out the door. I would be very carefully inspecting any AR-15 purchased in the next 1-2 years.

Unfortunately by the time the "Sandy Hook" thing starts to blow over, it is going to be just close enough to the 2014 elections for everyone to fear the gun grabbers taking over the house so we will probably have another wave well into 2015. If we are lucky there will be a small break in the insanity sometime between Q3/Q4 of this year and Q2 of 2014 but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3
RickB

I read an interview with someone from . . . the company that owns CCI, and a bunch of other gun- and shooting-related companies (ATK)? Anyway, the guy said that they were not willing to do any expansion, buying of additional equipment, etc., to increase production, as they'd then have tremendous excess capacity when the hoarding and speculating subsided. Makes perfect sense.
I think CCI already makes something over a million rounds of .22 rimfire every day.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

metro New York, Stamford CT...

About a month ago, I worked on a project doing 12hr shifts 6 days a week for nearly 4 weeks.
This was in NY/Stamford CT.
At the end I felt like ten bucks.
I can see what a plant worker or logistics/warehouse guy in the gun industry must be going thru these last 3 months or so.
OT or bonuses are good $ but you get run down. Then what?....
CF