The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 2, 2013, 10:09 AM   #51
BuckRub

Get a browning buckmark. It's a 22 pistol. Very easy to shoot and accurate. You can hit them and they'll soon leave because of getting shot at. If you're anywhere near Buffalo Tx. Call me and I'll help ya out.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:30 AM   #52
cecILL

TacticalDefense1911 has really good advise on the AR pistol.
Again. Easy to operate. Semi-auto. Decent magazine capacity. Effective round for feral hogs.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:47 AM   #53
Pico

AR-15

Terrible timing for it nowadays but I see an AR-15 with a 30 round mag for this mission. It can be tailored to your physique to the nth degree.

It sounds like you might have to engage and re-enage multiple targets. A 1911 on your belt also may be a good idea also if one slips through.

Pico
Old March 3, 2013, 09:52 AM   #54
1goodshot

What about a 30-30 or a lever gun in a pistol caliber?
Old March 3, 2013, 12:18 PM   #55
ClydeFrog

Large calibers, wild pigs...

I concur with the other members about pistol or revolver calibers & large boars.

I never hunted or shot any wild pigs but Id think it would take a magnum round or a semi-auto pistol caliber that has a large caliber, is fast and/or has a high KE level; a 10mm, .50GI, .45acp, .357sig, .400Corbon, .50AE, 9x23 Winchester etc.

Clyde
Old March 3, 2013, 01:34 PM   #56
BuckRub

In the Op original post she just stated she had hogs and wanted to be protected. A 22 or even a cap gun would prob be sufficient. She didn't state she wanted to kill or kill and quarter up in one shot.
Old March 3, 2013, 02:47 PM   #57
Pico

Hmmm just was thinking ...

Does anyone else wish they had her problem like me? Lots of critters to shoot and an endless supply of pork.

Pico
Old March 4, 2013, 08:05 PM   #58
justplainpossum

Ha! I disassembled my XDM to clean, and when they said remove the slide "with caution", they weren't kidding! It sprang out of my hand, (I screamed like a little girl) and it flew across the room, just missing the new window. Then it took me about an hour to find the recoil bolt that rolled underneath my computer table.

THEN, when it came time to put it back together, I couldn't get the stupid recoil spring to go back on the frame!! Erghhh!! I went to our local police station, and the officer very kindly gave me a quick lesson on putting a gun back together without ripping your finger off (and he reassured me that it was hard for even gun veterans like him, which was nice). Just getting the slide to stay open so you can take it apart was hard, but he showed me a trick that helped.

Man, I'm tired! lol Who knew that the tough part of owning a .45 would be cleaning it!
Old March 5, 2013, 01:23 PM   #59
breakingcontact

Re: Semi and ammo recommendations please

I love that you felt comfortable going to the police station to ask for help. That's how it should be. Wow is that the opposite of where so many of us live.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:35 PM   #60
DaleA

Justplainpossum - I know nothing about your hogs - if you wound one of them what are the chances it'll come after you and what kind of damage could one of these hogs do?
Old March 5, 2013, 06:28 PM   #61
BuckRub

You make have a terrible hog problem, but you go outside and wound one and can't get away fast enough your problems could get worse quick. Shoot from vehicle, or in house. Or just shoot in air to scare them away. There's a lot of people who will hunt them with dogs or set hog traps if you ask and then problem will be gone for awhile. Just look out for yourself above all others.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:57 PM   #62
justplainpossum

I know, that's one of the reasons I haven't shot any. I yell at them (preferably from up in a tree), and so far, they've run. It would be terrible for my neighbors to have a wounded animal out there. The thing is, a lot of my ranch is open land, and while I don't think a boar will charge me for no reason, I can't count on it, so I'm going heeled. If he runs away, that's fine, but if he's running at me, at least I know I have 12 shots in my .45 to send his way, and if that doesn't stop him he's a daisy.

Oh, I have a video of them running; they kept getting closer to my house, so I yelled at them from my back yard, and they took off. (it was a windy day, get your Dramamine out!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egovj08bEk8
Old March 6, 2013, 01:08 AM   #63
Water-Man

You might look into SIG pistols. They have a Custom Shop that does a 'Reduced Reach Trigger Job' which doesn't cost much.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:01 AM   #64
justplainpossum

Well, I figured that as long as I posted all my other hog videos, I'd go ahead and add this one. I never knew pigs came in so many different colors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLPI...kYvdrQ&index=6
Old March 9, 2013, 07:00 PM   #65
justplainpossum

Here's a pic of my new Springfield XDM .45!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger and Springfield 002 (600x450).jpg (145.9 KB, 21 views)
Old March 9, 2013, 07:06 PM   #66
cocojo

Buy an FN 5.56x28 auto pistol with 20 round magazine. It will drop your critters and not beat you up doing it.

Tags
handgun , hogs , semi