The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Heavy Metal 1

The tradeoff-questions

I have reloaded for elk, 30-06 & 8MM. For the '06 I am using 165 Nosler Partitions (I was able to get blems for a good price), my rifle shoots them very well. I do not know the speed, but I imagine it is faster than 180gr could be pushed. At practicle hunting distances 100-300 yds the 165 give greater kinetic energy than 180gr pills according to the reloading manual ballistic tables. Same concept w/ the 8mm. My 8MM with 150gr gives me greater accuracy and I would suspect greater speed & kinetic energy at expected game encounter distances vs 170 gr.

I have never shot an elk. I have shot plenty of deer & know they tip over easily w/ the above loads and have read that elk are much tougher of course. I would like to know from those w/ real world experience is a lighter bullet going faster (and thusly delivering greater on game energy) better than a heavier bullet going slower and delivering less kinetic energy? On deer the NP push right on through (I have shot them stem to stern and never found one on autopsy). On elk I suppose they may or may not exit, but should do significant damage.

So, then, am I ok going with the 165gr in 30-06 and 150gr in 8mm?

I also have a NP 140gr load for my Swede Mauser that is very accurate and has been chronographed at 2537 fps.

My 30-06 will be my primary gun, the 8MM as a backup in case the scope on the '06 takes a dump on me; the Swede will be in a tertiary role.
Old August 5, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Shoot em where it counts and the difference is academic.
Old August 5, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
huntinaz

Quote:
Shoot em where it counts and the difference is academic.
Yep

Elk are big and tough, but they aren't bulletproof. This I know. Both choices will be fine. I used 150gr cup and core bullets in 30-06 for elk for years. Hit them good and they fall down. Of your choices I'd favor the '06 with 165gr partitions. What bullet you shooting in the 8mm?
Old August 5, 2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Heavy Metal 1

8MM is Hornady Interlocks in a Turk Mauser. In that long barrel at the speed I think they are going (extrapolating from the manual) they should be at 2900+ fps.
Old August 5, 2012, 10:26 PM   #5
huntinaz

That's what we used in 30-06 was the 150gr interlocks. They will do the job. There are better options, but it's an adequate approach. I have stepped up in bullet weight and construction, my dad still has not. But we both eat a lot of elk