The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 22, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1
QuarterHorse

First time muzzleloader

Headed out this week to sight in my new T/C Triumph that I topped with a Bushnell Banner optic. I didn't throw a bunch of high dollar stuff at this as I'm not sure if I'll like the muzzleloader thing, although I anticipate that I will.

Anyway, I'll be starting off with two 50gr Pyrodex pellets and some .50 Barnes 250gr Sabots I think I'll start at getting it on paper at 25 yards and working it in from there. Are you guys shooting spot on at 100 yards or still shooting high? What are some loads you guys worked up?

Thanks all
Old August 22, 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
ltc444

Welcome to BP shooting. Started in 73 and have been enjoying it ever since. Shot BP almost exclusively for a bout 10 years.

Remember post shooting cleaning is key to keeping your weapon in operational condition.
Old August 22, 2012, 05:34 PM   #3
QuarterHorse

Thank you. I'm fairly meticulas when it comes to cleaning my firearms period. I have all the supplies I need for cleaning at the range after a session. So stoked!
Old August 22, 2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Doyle

Some hints:

1. For best accuracy, loose the pellets. Loose powder (properly used) is more accurate.
2. Make sure every shot is exactly alike - same bore cleanliness, same seating pressure, etc.
3. Remove the breech and swab the barrel after each shot. This not only helps with #2, it also prevents the dreaded "crud ring".
Old August 22, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
QuarterHorse

Doyle - I know exactly what you're saying, however ease of use which will turn into willing-ness to hunt with, I'm shooting for minute of deer at 200 yards. If I can't get that, I'll unfortunately look into loose loading, and honestlly, probably won't hunt with it as much as I'd like.
Old August 22, 2012, 09:53 PM   #6
big al hunter

If you use 209 shotgun primers and load the pellets dark end down you should get good ignition and decent accuracy. The pellets don't ignite as evenly with musket caps or #11caps, and that can cause inaccuracy. Check your states laws regarding ignition systems, 209 primers are illegal for muzzle loader season in Washington. We tried the pellets and had bad results with percussion caps.
I sight in dead on at 100 yards and shoot at 150 and 200 to determine hold over.
Old August 22, 2012, 11:32 PM   #7
QuarterHorse

209's are legal in Iowa.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old August 24, 2012, 04:19 PM   #8
andrewst35

I own a White .504 cal online MZ. It shoots 460gr lead conicals using 70gr of TTT loose powder. Love the rifle!
Old August 24, 2012, 04:22 PM   #9
andrewst35

I own a white .504 cal online MZ. It shoots 70gr of TTT loose powder with a 460 lead conical. I can shoot all day and not swab the barrel. Love the rifle!
Old August 24, 2012, 08:05 PM   #10
mrawesome22

90gr/equiv Pyrodex RS under a 240gr XTP sabot works well out of my Knight and NEF.

sudo passwd root
Old August 24, 2012, 08:24 PM   #11
YARDDOG(1)

I shot a side lock .50 cal New Englander with 80gr of pyrodex under a patched round ball, Excellent acuratcy, PS I lube with TC butter bore
& it dose a Fine Job. Eassy water clean up ; )
Y/D
Old August 25, 2012, 02:58 PM   #12
playin' hookey

My setup is pretty similar to yours. I use Barnes 250-gr TMZ bullets and 100 grains Triple 7 in my T-C Omega. I started with two 50-gr pellets but noticed that sometimes one or both of the pellets crushes when bullet is seated and sometimes not, so for consistency I switched to loose powder (FFG). I clean after each shot at the range with a wet patch followed by a dry patch but don't remove the breech plug for thorough cleaning until I get home. My groups are about 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yds. I zero it at 100, which is about an inch high at 50 and (according to the ballistics calculator) 3-4 inches low at 125. I have not tried varying the powder charge to improve my groups but many do. Virginia's muzzleloader season is the first two weeks of November and in my part of the state the deer get run with dogs starting the third week, so if you are a stillhunter it is pretty key to have a smokepole here. Hope you have a good season.
Old August 25, 2012, 07:07 PM   #13
QuarterHorse

Sighted it in today. Had a BLAST getting this done. My wife had zero interest in shooting it but had fun with our M&P 15-22 today while I was playing with the T/C.

Learned a good leason in swabbing the barrel. I KNEW I SHOULD do it, but didn't know how much impact it'd have. I knew something like what I'm about to explain would happen, but figured I'd have to witness it on my own first.

I fired 7 rounds and didn't bother touching it. Got it on paper at 25 yards, then bumped her back to 100 and was pretty close to center with two touching. Ran a patch down, and it was obviously pretty nasty. At that point I thought I'd run about 3 patches down and then 2 dry patches. Shot again just to see where it was at, and HOLY COW I was about 6" high and an inch to two left. I expected something different but not that extreme!

I kind of chuckled about it. I thought I'd patch then dry swab the barrel and make zero adjustments to just see if I was doing something completely dumb. Shot again, and it was touching the same hole that was high and left. At that point I knew it was the extra fouled barrel. At that point I took a pre-saturated T/C patch and a dry swab down the barrel between every shot. I got 'er walked right in at 100 yards.

This thing is an awesome fire arm. I got it on sale and had been wanting one for a few years to go hunting an extra season, and it was just another tool to have in the safe. I'm so glad I got it. After a thorough cleaning at the range I bagged it up and took it home. I plan on heading back to the range this week just to double check my zero and to see of the thorough cleaning changed anything.

I was using 2 Pyrodex 50 gr pellets with a T/C Plated H/P Sabot @ 250 grains. I'm sure I could tighten things up, but not sure how much tighter honestly. Two touching @ 100 yards is pretty good for me, especially when I'm only after "minute of deer" on the first outing. If I were fortunate enough to live on a piece of land where I could just go outside to my own range, I may look to work something better up, but again, I'm pleased with the pellets so far.

I'm stoked for the extra deer season this year, and I think it's going in the bag on a hog hunt in Oklahoma with me as a "just in case" meaning I tag one with my .308 right away I'll want to hit one with the muzzleloader for more fun.

My desk this morning

My wife checking to make sure I really did have two touching in several spots on the paper while walking it in to center lol.
Old September 6, 2012, 06:13 PM   #14
QuarterHorse

Well just to update I took 'er back out last weekend. I had 2 for 3 sabots touching @ 100 yards right center. I'm not touching this thing until I take 'er hunting next month! I can't believe how lucky I'm getting with these Pyrodex pellets!
Old September 6, 2012, 06:58 PM   #15
ltc444

Glad you joined us. i still use my TC Hawken 50 cal which I built from a kit in 1977.

Prefer 2Fg black powder to Pyrodex. I love the smell.

I know that Pyrodex is supposed to be safer but I remember that the original inventor of the stuff died in a pyrodex accident.

Ditto to everyone who talked about cleanliness. Clean after each session. Clean well and coat with a protective of oil.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Mobuck

I've converted to Blackhorn 209 and Hornady SST full bore projo. Had to do so to be legal in CO and too much trouble to switch back.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:08 AM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Two shots touching at a 100. Can't complain about that QuarterHorse. Apparently it's happen again to another unsuspecting shooting sports guy tinkering around with B/P fellers.
He's hooked!!_ he he he
Old September 8, 2012, 08:55 AM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice looking range setup. It appears they are concerned about bullets flying over the berm. Still, it looks comfortable.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:05 PM   #19
QuarterHorse

I do like the range and do seemed to be hooked on these muzzleloaders