The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 18, 2007, 01:37 AM   #1
IEDmagnet

In Case of Emergency Break Glass

Mornin' ladies and gents. I've been trying to find data on bullet trajectories through glass and windshields and I'm stumped. Can anyone direct me to a web site, or have any info on how ,say a 45 cal 230gr jhp, would be affected from striking a windshield from the outside or being fired from the inside of a vehical. Would the round be deflected any significant amount or just keep on going? Would the round still retain a resonable amount of energy to pass through the barrier and still stop a threat? If anyone has any info on this , or is willing to loan me their car for a day let my know! -Josh
Old March 18, 2007, 01:40 AM   #2
Smokin Joe

45 cal 230gr jhp

it'll tumble. and may lose its jacket. not too much of a difference if you shoot at a perp in the car, as the distance from window to perp is pretty small.
Old March 18, 2007, 02:13 AM   #3
FM12

Not really knowing, but just looking at the sciences behind this, a lot would depend on the angle of impact and the shape of the bullet...interesting post, maybe we'll get som pics as "proof"!!
Old March 18, 2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Tobt

Check out the box o truth. They did a thing about shooting at cars. Basically destroyed an old buick. If i recall correctly the bullet (fired from outside the vehicle) will drop a degree based on how slanted the window is, and the heavier the bullet the less it is deflected. And yes the round will still have a good amount of energy. I believe they lost a few bullets because they just kept going through the windshield, through the front seat into the back and got lost around the trunk somewhere.
I'll also have to read up on this again. Hope this is helpful
-Chris
Old March 18, 2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Yankee Doodle

Try going to an auto glass replacement shop. They will have a bunch of broken windshields laying around. See if you can talk then out of a few and try it yourself. The worst they can do is say no. Nothing ventured........
Old March 18, 2007, 03:23 PM   #6
kozak6

Quote:
Check out the box o truth
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot1.htm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot2.htm