The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2000, 08:00 PM   #1
fyrfytrj

I recently bought a Mossberg 590 (rather disapointing purchase if you ask me, read other post -- NIB 590 FTF)where can I buy accesories for it. Any web sites??? I would like to buy a flashlight kit, swap out the plastic parts for metal parts (safety switch and trigger housing) and sling and maybe some other cool stuff.
Old January 30, 2000, 12:05 AM   #2
jcoyoung

Hey Firefighter.

If you have a fetish for pistol grip stocks, check out the Speedfeed III and Speedfeed IV stocks.

Also, if you don't have ghost ring sights, check them out. Ghost rings are not for everyone, but I love the one's on my 590.

Another option that I've seen on other Mossbergs is that heat sheild thing. I'll admit that it looks pretty cool, but I don't see a purpose to have a heat sheild on a HD 'gun (unless you plan on defending against 50 attackers).

I've looked at the Responder dedicated flashlight forearm from SureFire and I'm not impressed. From what I understand, you may have to chop off the bayonet lug in order for the light to work. I think SureFire now has a version that dosen't require lug amputation. I currenly have a project where I will use the existing bayonet lug to mount accessory rails.

Didn't you know that slings are usually only for rifles? What you probably want is a carry strap. My 590 has the Unky Mikes shotgun carry strap with the handy shotshell loops. The strap also has a nice no-slip materal on the backside of the padded section.

Have fun tricking out your 590.

Jason
Old January 30, 2000, 12:15 AM   #3
jcoyoung

DOH!

I read your post again and realized I didn't really answer your question.

Here is the bayonet lug discussion:
http://forums.ar15.com/Forum27/HTML/000098.html

Here are some websites:

www.natchezss.com
www.botachtactical.com Beware of this place, I've heard mixed reviews about this place (I haven't had any problems yet).
<A HREF="http://www.lagger-pro.com" TARGET=_blank>www.lagger-pro.com
</A>

As for the metal safety and triggerguard, I've heard that Brownells carrys the parts.
Old January 30, 2000, 07:45 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The bells and whistles are a lot of fun,and may actually increase the effectiveness of the weapon, which is tremendous as is.

But how about increasing YOUR effectiveness?
Put off buying those heat seeking 000 buck loads and spend some money on practice ammo and range time.Trust me, yiou'll be better off.

Then after you've become the deadliest shotgunner this side of Quantico, you'll have a better idea of what your shotgun needs for improved performance.

BTW, my HD 870 has darn near all the tweaks, but I knew how to shoot it before I reached for a catalog.

I did a thread on HD training here a while back you still might be able to access. IMO, there's some good input there about this topic,and not just from me...