The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2012, 07:25 PM   #26
Goatwhiskers

I see where someone mentioned hardness. BHN is not nearly as important as many think, 'course I'm not talking about pure lead, but common alloys such as wheel weights. Fit is king, above everything else to prevent gas leakage which is the cause of leading. Always slug your barrel then buy or size your bullets .001-.002" over groove diameter and leading will be the least of your worries. GW
Old August 15, 2012, 12:37 AM   #27
Stargazer1

Quote:
I like 4227 as it shoots very well and fills the case. But the downside is that the 20g loads eat the can of powder up pretty quickly (not to economical).
RClark,
I was thinking about using IMR 4227, but couldn't find any data on it. I'll bet it has quite a huge muzzle blast! Like shooting a 44 Mag! Do you also have any data on using H 4227? I think they are about the same. One of my favorite loads in 45 Colt is 10g Unique under a 255 Hardcast SWC for my Ruger BH 7 1/2" convertible.
Old August 15, 2012, 09:59 AM   #28
rclark

Taffin is the one the mentions 4227 in his books. 20g is actually a 'standard' load in .45 Colt. Not as much muzzle blast as you might think. I get 1030fps out of my tests. It does leave a few 'granules' hanging around, but I don't mind at all.

Here is an on-line reference. Yes, you can use the H4227 data for IMR 4227. Should use a magnum primer with it for consistency.

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 15, 2012, 11:54 AM   #29
rclark

Quote:
Always slug your barrel then buy or size your bullets .001-.002" over groove diameter and leading will be the least of your worries. GW
Not going to help if your cylinder throats are to small . Barrels (at least from Ruger) seem to be very consistent. It is the throats that give you the most problems. I had to ream all of my .45 Colts to .452 to get the accuracy I wanted (and stop some leading in the process). Older cylinder throats had the opposite problem of being to big.... Then you need bullets that are say .454 to get good accuracy instead of the current standard of .452.... Of course you can have a constriction in your barrel that can give you leading fits too, but that is a different topic.

I do agree with you that fit is king. If you have that you can shoot a wide range of bullet hardness in your gun. But you still don't want it to soft if shooting high velocity, nor to hard when shooting low velocity. For what I shoot 12-15 BHN works fine for 700-1100fps loads (.357/.44/.45) .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 16, 2012, 04:44 AM   #30
Mike / Tx

Late last year I acquired my first 45 Colt in a Ruger RH. My first loads through it were using some 200, 230 and 255gr Oregon Trail bullets I purchased years ago for my 45 ACP. I figured why not give them a whirl. I started out working with Unique from 8 thru around 10grs, (THIS WAS IN A REDHAWK) depending on the weight and looking for leading. I found them all to be accurate.

I have since played around with weights up through the Lee 452-300 RF and found nothing which I would hesitate to head to the woods with. Powders have been AA-5,7, and 9, along with 2400 and some limited 296 loads. This said my overall best loads came after running across the following write up by John Linebaugh, Gun Notes by John Linebaugh

After reading through this and the other listed link by Taffin, went with the latter due to having some HS-6 on hand. Using the 250 - 280'ish grain bullets I have not found any reason to really need anything else. Every load I have shot using his recommendations has dome very to extremely well and like he said hits with ample power, out to further than most have any business shooting.

As for bullets, I have read good reports form many satisfied folks who use Missouri Bullets for their needs. A close friend purchased several weights, styles and hardness, from Montana Bullet Works, and was satisfied with the quality and variety of them as well. Me personally I cast my own using a couple of different molds from Lee, and also from MP Molds. I use pretty much a 9-13BHN for everything in my revolvers up to 1350fps, sized to fit my cylinder bores. With the Colt, even though I have bumped up a few loads simply to test them, I feel no need what so ever to go above the load listed in the above link using HS-6 and the 260gr bullets. If that one don't git-r-done, I can easily bump up to the 454 and get what I am lacking.
Old August 16, 2012, 05:36 AM   #31
WESHOOT2

I used 7.3g Universal lit with a CCI350.
Old August 22, 2012, 08:02 AM   #32
dos0711

How well does Titegroup meter?
Old August 22, 2012, 06:08 PM   #33
Kevin Rohrer

Sport45: I would be interested in your comparison of the two powders.

And to answer the question-at-hand: Unique

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old August 23, 2012, 02:01 AM   #34
Sport45

From behind the trigger I can't tell any difference between Unique and Universal. They both shoot the same and leave about the same amount of residue on the bench. I hardly ever start with a clean handgun so I can't comment on how the two compare in that regard.

I couldn't get Universal to meter well with my Lyman 55, Redding Model 3, or Lee Perfect powder measure with charges in the 5.5gr range. I picked up a RCBS Quick Change powder measure and can report that it meters charges of Universal as low as 4.5gr very well using the small metering assembly. With the RCBS QC I see +/- 0.05gr variance where the other measures gave me +/- 0.15gr variance.
Old August 23, 2012, 02:34 PM   #35
rclark

As far as data is concerned with Unique and Universal. Here is what I have for .45 Colt to compare....

Ruger BH 5 1/2" barrel

8.0g Unique, 250 RNFP, CCI-300, _922fps, 18 SD, 55 ES, 20 shots
9.0g Unique, 250 RNFP, CCI-300, 1021fps, 19 SD, 62 ES, 20 shots

8.0g Universal, 250 RNFP, CCI-300, _894fps, 13 SD, 44 ES, 13 shots
9.0g Universal, 250 RNFP, CCI-300, 1013fps, 17 SD, 58 ES, 36 shots

I can't any difference accuracy wise between the two and feel the same when fired. Can't say whether one is 'cleaner' than the other. Seem the same to me...
Old August 24, 2012, 12:06 PM   #36
Wyoredman

rclark,

That is some good data. I need to do the samr with the lighter 230 gr bullets.

Thanks.