The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Joe Rush

20ga light loads

Does anyone have load data for a 20ga using a half ounce of shot. I know that I will have to add paper or other fillers in the wading cup. I have gotten my 6yr old one of the youth Rossies and would like to perfect a super light load before he grows into the gun, which will be in about a year. We will be using this load for target and skeet shooting.

Thanks
Joe
Old August 6, 2012, 08:43 PM   #2
oneounceload

There are published recipes for 3/4oz shot using the new CB wad - load it to 1150 and you will have a great easy on the shoulder recipe.

That Rossi is typically too light, and personally, a 6 yo is a tad young for shotguns unless he is of such a size as to be able to handle the gun properly and the stock has been changed so it FITS
Old August 6, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Joe Rush

Yes, he will have to grow into the stock, and will have to learn more safty with his BB gun before I turn him loose with the 20ga. I don't have lots of time to load or shoot so I am trying to give myself time enough to get the load perfected first.

Thanks
Joe
Old August 7, 2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Bailey Boat

Taking his 20 to 1/2 ounce of shot would be no different than giving him a 410which is a bad idea. Let him grow a little......
If you want to do something constructive teach him eye-hand coordination by shooting the BB gun at airiel targets like ping pong balls. Both eyes open, toss the PP ball while your standing next to him so its easy and then increase the difficulty once he has the easy under his belt.
Old August 7, 2012, 02:05 PM   #5
SL1

I agree that starting a kid too young on a gun with too much recoil is likely to create bad habits that will limit or end his enjoyment of the sport and will last for a long time.

That said, there is a good article in Handloader Magazine No. 279 (August, 2012) that not only gives some good 1/2 oz 20 gauge loads, but it also explains how they were developed from 7/8 oz load data.

SL1
Old August 7, 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
snuffy

Joe, whats your hurry? I know I was in a hurry for my son to grow up, but I remember dad saying you're too young, you'll have to wait. I got him a Daisy modular .22 rifle. He spent hours shooting it and then repeatedly taking it apart and back together as well as cleaning the barrel. It had an expandable stock, so it grew with him.

Unless you are willing to cut the stock shorter, you'll be teaching him a lot of bad lessons that he'll have to un-learn when the gun finally fits him.

When it came time ,(I thought he was old enough), for a 20 gauge shotgun, I got and inexpensive savage pump, then promptly cut about 6" off the stock. A re-purposed soft recoil pad was then cut down, the gun fit him to a tee. It turned out he was having difficulty holding the whole thing up AND being able to swing it. Shots hit low all the time. It also had a full choke. So off came about 6 inches of barrel. That gave less weight, cylinder choke, and less to swing.

A lot MORE misses than hits told me he wasn't ready to be a wing shooter. The shotgun got put away for another year. The next summer, he was able to hold it better, he had grown a couple of inches and put on 20 pounds

I was loading ¾ ounce loads with bottom end fast powders. The recoil was of no concern. The folowing year, I got him a 1100 12 gauge with a short stock that fit him well. Loading 7/8 ounce light loads, it hit better than my 1 ounce lods. He shot it well until he outgrew that stock, so a full size stock was cut a bit to fit him. I still have the 2 short stocks, the full-size works great for him as an adult.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 7, 2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Dakotared

I have the .22/20ga rossi for my 9 year old. He has tons of fun shooting the .22 and wanted to shoot the 20ga. So I went out and bought a box of trap loads and I took the first shot with it. After my 1 shot I knew that my 9 year old will be at least another year or 2 before he is ready to shoot that gun. It kicks MUCH harder than my 12ga because how light the gun is. If you want to turn your kid off to shooting go ahead and give your 6 year old that gun and get ready to hear him cry.