The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2012, 06:39 PM   #1
k Squared

Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop Hangs Up

I am experiencing a problem with my Hornady L-N-L AP. In particular the case activated powder drop keeps hanging up.
After loading a dozen or so rounds with no problems, I'll raise the next case into the powder station and the plunger arm will not travel all the way to the top of its stroke, even though the handle is all the way down. When I raise the press handle all the way up, the plunger does not travel all the way down, unless I press down on the powder measure. When I press down on the powder measure, the plunger will go all the way down and everything will work fine for a few more rounds until it hangs up again.
I have tried cleaning, lubing, and re-adjusting the powder drop and powder measure but continue to have the problem. I have also checked to ensure the quick change bushing is not coming lose.
I am using the pistol powder sleeve (not the powder throught expander) and confirmed it is right-side-up.
This happens with 9mm and 40 S&W cases.
A couple of years ago David Wile described this problem in a posting, but could only suggest cleaning and lubing the system, which I already tried.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 30, 2012, 07:03 AM   #2
er775

I had a similar problem once after loading a hundred 243 rounds, the screws for the rotating arm had worked themselves loose, after tightening them back up it has worked fine ever since,,might not fix your problem but just a thought to make sure all the screws and spring are tight and secure
Old April 30, 2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Arizona Smithshooter

I had a similar problem. First I assume you have followed the instructions for cleaning and assembling to the letter, and have checked all the screws for proper tightness. Does this problem also occur with the rifle rotor?

Try removing the two screws from the rotor that holds the activating bracket so that you can move the powder measure through its entire range of travel. Does it still hang up? That's where mine was having a problem. The problem with mine was where the hole in the rotor rotated to the hole from the powder hopper. The cast metal of the powder hopper had a rough edge that would catch on the rotor during rotation. If you remove the quick change metering device the rotor should rotate freely through its full range. If you use the rifle rotor you can watch it through its travel using a flashlight and see if that is where yours is hanging up. I used a Dremel polishing wheel to smooth out the roughness in the cast metal of the powder hopper and that cured my problem.

The other thing to check is where the square edges of the quick change bushing ride on the sides of the rotor housing. Mine had some rough edges there as well that I cleaned up. Now my measure is smooth as glass and is very accurate with both the rifle and pistol measures.
Old April 30, 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
k Squared

Thanks

Both good suggestions. Thanks!!!