The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Will Lee

Colt SP1 "Load Data Needed"

Ok Guys, here is one from the past. Bought her new in 1982, serial # 128XXX. If you know your guns you know what this is and what it is capable of doing.

Here the situation, it's been a closet queen for more than 25 years while I was chancing the almighty dollar all over the world. Only had maybe 1200 rounds through her and a few times really fast cycled.

Took her out to the lease this year and a dear friend shot her and wants to buy her. I'm thinking of selling it to him but the problem I am having is getting it to shoot groups smaller than 2 MOA a 100 yards. She's got a lot of free bore and loading several different types of bullets and having a OAL of 2.250 so that there is no problems with the mag feed I still can't get her to do better than 2 MOA.

When she was put up I sprayed "something" down the barrel and coated the action and the other day I bore scoped the barrel and it looks bright & shinny.

So sorry for so much detail but if anyone has one of these and getting 1 MOA @ 100 yards out of it WHAT ARE YOU USING.

Thanks
Will
Old April 27, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
rg1

I couldn't part with the "ole girl". With the probably 1/12 twist barrel I'd guess your best bet would be with 50 grain V-Max or 52 grain Sierra MatchKings. The heaviest bullet for that twist would be 55 grainers. For short range often flat base, rather than boat tailed bullets, shoot best. The old requirements were only around 3" at 100 yards. It's possible that you've gotten the best the rifle has to give and it's not a match rifle. 2" at 100 is not bad for a battle rifle. Nice rifle you have there and I still think the triangular hand guards are nice looking. Sometimes the carry handle scope base isn't rock solid and scopes with parallex problems will keep groups from shrinking. Need to rule out the scope and bases from being part of the problem.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Will Lee

Quote:
I couldn't part with the "ole girl". With the probably 1/12 twist barrel I'd guess your best bet would be with 50 grain V-Max or 52 grain Sierra MatchKings. The heaviest bullet for that twist would be 55 grainers. For short range often flat base, rather than boat tailed bullets, shoot best. The old requirements were only around 3" at 100 yards. It's possible that you've gotten the best the rifle has to give and it's not a match rifle. 2" at 100 is not bad for a battle rifle. Nice rifle you have there and I still think the triangular hand guards are nice looking. Sometimes the carry handle scope base isn't rock solid and scopes with parallex problems will keep groups from shrinking. Need to rule out the scope and bases from being part of the problem.
Hey RG,
Good input, this best so far is with X-Teminator and HDY 55 SP w/cant. At a OAL of 2.250 it has a Ogive jump of .071. I've tried the HDY 55 V-max at 2.250 OAL but the Ogive jump is .136. Got some HDY 53g and 50g I might try along with some Barnes 50g.

I carried one of these with a different name on it in SE Asia in 68 - 69 & it shoot 1 MOA. But to many birthdays have gone by to remember the specifics of the load.

Thanks
Will
Old April 28, 2012, 12:04 AM   #4
kraigwy

For what its worth:

In about 1985 Lake City was having problems with ammo not meeting military specs.

LC assumed it was the Mann Accuracy Device used in testing ammo so a test was conducted.

For a round to test the Mann Device, 53 Grn Sierra Match bullets were loaded in Federal brass, CCI 450 primers, 25 Grns of 3031 powder, and it developed groups measuring .29-.31 in two different Mann Accuracy Devices. It was deteremined there was nothing wrong with the Mann Device. (Which consisted of a Remington action, Kart 1:7 twist 19 inch barrel, in a Mann Cradle).

The SP1 being a 1:12 twist, is more then capable of stabilizing the 53 grn bullet.

I've shot them in my SP1 with good results, I haven't as yet tried the load listed above but its on my "To Do" list.

As a side note, the problems with the LC ammo was traced to the seating die not consistently seating the bullet. If you try the above load, or any other, I'd highly recommend getting one of the Competition Reloading Dies which I've found to consistently seat the the bullet straight into the case.

If not, the bullet is gonna "wobble" and wobbling isn't conductive to decent accuracy in any gun.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 28, 2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Will Lee

Quote:
For what its worth:

In about 1985 Lake City was having problems with ammo not meeting military specs.

LC assumed it was the Mann Accuracy Device used in testing ammo so a test was conducted.

For a round to test the Mann Device, 53 Grn Sierra Match bullets were loaded in Federal brass, CCI 450 primers, 25 Grns of 3031 powder, and it developed groups measuring .29-.31 in two different Mann Accuracy Devices. It was deteremined there was nothing wrong with the Mann Device. (Which consisted of a Remington action, Kart 1:7 twist 19 inch barrel, in a Mann Cradle).

The SP1 being a 1:12 twist, is more then capable of stabilizing the 53 grn bullet.

I've shot them in my SP1 with good results, I haven't as yet tried the load listed above but its on my "To Do" list.

As a side note, the problems with the LC ammo was traced to the seating die not consistently seating the bullet. If you try the above load, or any other, I'd highly recommend getting one of the Competition Reloading Dies which I've found to consistently seat the the bullet straight into the case.

If not, the bullet is gonna "wobble" and wobbling isn't conductive to decent accuracy in any gun.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Hey CPT Stuart, - CWO3 Lee here,
Haven't used that title in many many years.
Will try the Sierra 53s, have always used, Nosler, Hornady, & Barnes but if the Sierra's works then good stuff.

Will
Old April 28, 2012, 07:53 AM   #6
rg1

In the 1969 draft lottery my number was just high enough that I didn't get drafted. Thanks for your service and carrying the rifle in hard times. Hope you find a load your rifle likes.