The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 16, 2009, 12:53 PM   #1
azredhawk44

.223 and .308 linked belts

Those of you guys who use the FA toys... do you link your own ammo? Do you reload your .223/.308 cartridges that you use in a belt fed system?

How long does it take you to build a 50rd linked belt? Do you do it by hand, or do you have some sort of tool?

And... what's the longest reasonable size of linked belt to put together? It probably depends on cartridge size, and .223 belts are longer than .308 ones.

Considering buying a belt-fed semiauto upper for my AR just for grins and giggles.

Also, from a CA and other draconian AWB states perspective: is a linked belt considered a magazine? Is there even a "capacity" to a belt fed semiautomatic system? Are ammo belts illegal in CA?

Would an AR lower with a Shrike upper (http://www.aresdefensesales.com/index_files/Page991.htm) be illegal to take to CA, even if you put a "bullet button" in the lower to disable the magazine well of the lower?
Old September 17, 2009, 08:52 AM   #2
David Hineline

You might consider that the company making the Shrike still has not delivered units orders as long as 8 yrs ago. Unless you intend to by one of the released units for 4X the cost of ordering a new one and deciding not to wait.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:34 AM   #3
jmorris

I built my linker from Oak using a table router for the slots in the wood and a mill for the angle iron locator the rest is just 1/8 sheet metal. Even if you buy one over the counter it's going to be the least expensive part of a belt fed anything. You can make a belt as long as you have links but the barrel might not be that happy about that.

Old September 17, 2009, 09:52 AM   #4
ISC

1919 links like in the pic above are a different matter than a M60, M240, or M249. The last three aren't that hard to link by hand if you need to. I've had to make SAW belts in the field from boxed ammo before. It's a pain, but if you don't want to deal with th jams that ALWAYS happen with mags in a SAW you can do it.

I've linked up leftover 7.62 by hand at the end of a range day or to remove tracers when shooting the M240 too.
Old November 29, 2009, 12:59 AM   #5
seidlerlaw

beltfed

.50 cal. and .223 usually linked by means of a linking machine

.223 usually 200 round belts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shriikerphoto2009.jpg (233.6 KB, 69 views)