The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 2, 2020, 09:38 PM   #26
'88Scrat

When I say Ruger hasn't delved into lever action firearms I mean current production and not to the same scope and scale that Marlin did.

I know Ruger made at least one for a while. The Model 96 comes to mind but it was only in production for about 12 years or so. Marlin was a innovator for over 100 years but the QC really went downhill after Remington bought them out. My own 336 and my brothers 444 are proof of how bad the QC got at one point. I do have a 2020 manufactured 1895 SBL that had no QC or cosmetic problems and runs like a top, but 1/3 isn't a good track record.

I think this is absolutely a good thing for the Marlin brand.
Old October 3, 2020, 01:06 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

Marlin had already gone down hill before they sold out to Remington. Remington just happened to make it much worse by scrapping all Marlin tooling and production methods, and choosing not to retain any of the skilled labor; because they thought redesigning for CNC manufacturing would be easier and superior.

The only things that were still being built well by Marlin in the early 2000s were some runs of the XLRs, the Model 444 (treated as the flagship), and the Model 39a (too fiddly and dependent upon hand-fitting to not make it right). The 336s, 1894s, and 1895s saw quality progressively drop from 2002 to 2008; before the big plunge under Remington's rule.
Old October 4, 2020, 10:43 AM   #28
BJung

What happened to Remington? I should read up on it but will ask here. The company is so old, did they try making reproduction vintage rolling blocks and trap doors?
Old October 4, 2020, 11:51 AM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbank jung
What happened to Remington? I should read up on it but will ask here. The company is so old, did they try making reproduction vintage rolling blocks and trap doors?
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...73&postcount=9
Jeepaholic
Old October 5, 2020, 11:19 AM   #30
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
That's exactly right. For a detailed explanation, see post #6 here.