The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2016, 03:41 AM   #1
cskon

AMT Backup .380 SA and now a 45 ACP Backup added

Hey all, I'm new here, so please bare with me. My father bought a AMT Backup when he was a cop many, many years ago as, the name implies, a backup. He purchased it new back in the 70's (I think) and a few years ago sold it to me. I had later traded it back to him for another gun, but after doing so realized how much I missed it for being able to just put it in my jacket pocket and such, but he has recently passed away and now my mom carries it with her. It was promised to me when she passes, but that will not be for quite a long time, god willing.

So, I found the exact same model with 3 mags at a pawn shop and snatched them up. It is exactly the same as my dad's with the handle safety and safety switch. So anyways, I finally was able to go down to my local range last week to test fire it and HOLY COW is that trigger hard to pull!!!

The pawn shop that I bought it from said they went thru it and cleaned everything and verified that it worked. I verified that when I got it, it was beautiful. But, as for the trigger situation, I'm looking for ideas as to what the trigger problem may be and suggestions as to how to fix it.

I am very mechanically inclined and have worked on various guns over the years, but I am in no way a "Gunsmith"! However, I am hoping it is something that I can do. Thank you.
Old February 2, 2016, 06:17 AM   #2
turkeestalker

Welcome to the Firing Line cskon!

I have one of the earlier single action AMT Backup pistols in .380 that I'm quite fond of as well. I've always had a thing for what a lot of people refer to as 'mouse guns' in .380, and have accumulated quite a few through the years. The AMT is one of my favorites, so much so that I picked one up in 22lr some years ago when my sons were small for them to enjoy on 'range' days.

Not sure what the issue could be with the trigger, understanding that those aren't really what I would call 'precision' firearms and aren't generally considered to have a 'good' trigger to begin with.
I will say that the SA Backups earned a reputation for the safety not being very reliable and are not considered safe to carry with a round in the chamber even with the additional grip safety.

For me originally, field stripping for a thorough cleaning was a bit of a puzzle. This fella though a bit long winded, does a very good job of demonstrating how to go about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GOSQWVO4M

I'm fairly mechanically inclined as well but likewise I am no 'gunsmith', though I have successfully worked on many firearms for myself and others in the past. I would caution that when it comes to triggers, that is an area that is often best left to a competent gunsmith.
I hope someone else here can offer you more specific information.
Old February 2, 2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Skans

I had an AMT 45 Backup. Yes, it had a heavy trigger pull. That's just the way these guns are. They were designed before many of the double-action-only pistols of today came on the market. Many of those newer designs use a longer trigger pull together with partially cocking the hammer or striker when the action is cycled. By doing this, it essentially lessens the felt weight of the trigger pull.

What these newer guns give up that the AMT still has is 2nd strike capability. If the AMT doesn't fire on the first trigger pull, you can keep pulling the trigger to activate the hammer. Many of the better quality DAO guns on the market today don't really need 2nd strike capability. But, having owned am AMT, there were some times when shooting it that the round didn't fire on the first trigger pull and sometimes required a second pull.
Old February 2, 2016, 03:07 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

The .380 AMT Backup was a single action gun. It had no restrike capability.
Old February 2, 2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Skans

Bill, it sure is! I always assumed it was just like the other AMT Backups, but took a look and to my surprise, this is a different animal entirely. I stand corrected.
Old February 2, 2016, 04:30 PM   #6
turkeestalker

The two Backups that I own are in fact single action, but they were the early models. The later model offered in 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 400 Corbon, 357 Sig, 9mm, 38 Super, 380 and 22lr were DAO. The trigger pull of the DAO was claimed to be 8 lbs., but having never owned one myself I could not say. The 380 and 22lr that I own are the earlier ones with the secondary back strap safety which the DAO models did not have. I believe if memory serves, that the DAO could supposedly be carried safely with one in the chamber, but I won't swear to it, something that should never be done with the earlier SA models like I own.
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...amt_backup.pdf
Old February 2, 2016, 04:38 PM   #7
turkeestalker

So what you're saying is that even though the name of the pistols claimed that they were DAO, they were in fact SA?

Answered my own question by reading a bit of the manual for the newer models in the link I posted. It does specifically state that:
Quote:
When the trigger is pulled to the rear, the hammer goes back into a firing position and is released, firing the pistol.
So the newer DAO tagged pistols were just that, but the older ones were not.

Last edited by turkeestalker; February 2, 2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: correcting myself
Old February 2, 2016, 04:46 PM   #8
TheDevilThatYouKnow

Two similarly named but almost entirely different pistols.

AMT .380 Backup DAO

AMT .380 Backup
Old February 2, 2016, 05:06 PM   #9
turkeestalker

I remember reading somewhere that High Standard was making some of them again but I could be wrong.
Old February 2, 2016, 11:51 PM   #10
cskon

Turkeestalker, so the lower pic is the older model? If so, then that is what I have. The reason why I asked was because in shooting my dad's .380, it was no where near as hard of a trigger pull than mine now. I'm wondering if either it needs a little lube or it just has not been shot that much.
Old February 3, 2016, 01:12 AM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Oil sure won't hurt it!
Old February 3, 2016, 05:51 AM   #12
peggysue

Here are all my AMTs. The Back Up 380 is accually a OMC (Pre AMT) I got in 1976. Feeling old. It was only dependable with Ball ammo

Old February 3, 2016, 05:52 AM   #13
turkeestalker

Yes, the lower picture that was posted is the older model.

Bill Deshivs is absolutely right that oil sure won't hurt!

That fella in that video I posted is right too in that you can typically get a good one or a bad one. That is not to say that your new to you one is a bad one.

I've never disassembled one beyond field stripping as demonstrated in his video and replacing the extractor on the 22, and I doubt that I would myself. I'd not tamper with the function of the trigger on my own.
I think that would be better left to a skilled professional willing to work on that specific pistol.

I would field strip it and make certain that it is clean and lubricated, and that everything seems in order. I would then shoot it, more than likely the trigger will smooth out with use if in fact it hasn't been shot much.

Snap caps could be a good alternative to live ammo to save a buck and still work the trigger, but I believe that dry firing that particular pistol would be a mistake without them.

If it doesn't get any better over a reasonable amount of time (couple hundred times or so), then I would consider having someone take a look at it if you can find a competent gunsmith willing to.
Old February 3, 2016, 05:55 AM   #14
turkeestalker

Hubba hubba peggysue! Those suuuuure are purty! NICE!
Old February 3, 2016, 05:57 AM   #15
peggysue

Forgot my 45 Back up...

Old February 3, 2016, 06:06 AM   #16
peggysue

The AMT 380 Back up is not the easiest to disassemble. Use a bullet to hold open the slide and a punch to knock out the pin. In it's time it was the SMALLEST and all stainless. Heavy and large to now day standards. Mine did shoot well and as I stated use ball rounds. I have had no problem with the trigger. Remember if you screw it up filing on the sear there are no more parts. Also remember these were made in early stainless days. Put grease on the slide to prevent galling. Keep oiled.

Last edited by peggysue; February 3, 2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old June 12, 2017, 07:23 PM   #17
Fractalign

Help with my amt

Ok everyone I bought an amt.380 backup the other week at a gun show and took it to the range over the weekend to insure it functioned properly, well it didnt. It will fire a round, cycle just fine but the trigger wouldn't reset. After racking it back and chambering the next round it would fire and fo the same thing. I was using 95grain fmj rounds. Any ideas how to fix this problem?
Old June 13, 2017, 01:02 AM   #18
Ibmikey

Back before the dawn of time eight of us police officers bought OMC Backup pistols from one of our distributors salespersons who traveled from PD to PD. None of the eight were found to be reliable enough for "backup" use. Being the dept. armorer I played with mine and had it functioning on ball ammo but would not feed Super Vel HP's. Seven of the pistols were sold by their owners and I gave mine to a detective for a second gun.
The early magazines had a cast SS finger rest floorplate and were the best, later a stamped finger rest floorplate was used and ok, final followers and floorplates were plastic and crap.
AMT produced the bulk of the single action pistols but reports were generally poor from owners I talked with and pistols that were brought to me with a request to make them function. As reported by Peggy they are odd in disassembly and rough on the inside.
Also early pistols had wood grips ( cannot remember type of wood but very straight grained) later they used plastic which were very fragile.
Old June 13, 2017, 09:13 AM   #19
sarge83

I have an early SA model version with the clear plastic grips, supposedly so you could see how many rounds you have left. The trigger is awful and it's heavy and clunky but mine goes bang every time with fmj. I haven't carried it in years especially since I bought a keltec P32. Mine stays in the safe back in the corner. It's been 15 yrs. since I shot it.
Old June 13, 2017, 03:03 PM   #20
Fractalign

See this is my second time owning one and absolutely loved my first one. Never had one issue. That being said I am still unsure how to go about fixing my gun.
Old June 13, 2017, 06:31 PM   #21
Fractalign

I have the model with the safety
Old March 22, 2018, 03:00 PM   #22
glockman55

Rather than start another Thread, I'll just bring this one back to life..I just picked up a AMT Back Up .45acp.. all the papers, case, two factory Mags..The Gun is in great shape.. probably because most People don't shoot a Gun like this many times after Buying it..I know it will never be a very collectable fire arm any time soon, but I like these older all Steel hand guns.. I have two Starvel Fire Stars in .40 and .45.. ..Attachment 107197

Last edited by glockman55; October 16, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old March 22, 2018, 04:26 PM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

Ok - I understand and you avoid the necrothread closure. I'll change the title to also reflect the new caliber.

I did shoot one of the 380s in the 90's. I agree that the trigger was pretty horrible. Given the new 380s nowadays - well, you get the drift.
Old March 22, 2018, 04:53 PM   #24
PolarFBear

Glockman45, I've had two of these AMT 45 DAO's. Bought the first one new; against the advice of my selling dealer. It was a terrible jam-o-matic. Sold it but missed the feel and heft of the DAO. Bought another, used, and it was great as far as DAO's go. Tough to shoot, harsh with a lot of blast. Lost it in a domestic discord. Looking to replace it when I find the "right" one. What was the price?
Old March 22, 2018, 05:02 PM   #25
turkeestalker

Looks nice, congrats.
Always curious about the .45, kind of figure it'd be a handful like PolarFBear describes... but still curious.
Enjoy!