The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 26, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
MKTexas

beretta vs benelli

I'm trying to decide between te beretta 391 and benelli m2. Any thoughts?
Old August 26, 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
MKTexas

Beretta ve benelli

PS: I'm mainly shooting clays, occasional bird hunting.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:55 PM   #3
zoomie

Beretta will kick a little less. Reliability will be equal. Fit should be your deciding factor.
Old August 27, 2009, 06:32 AM   #4
LanceOregon

The Beretta is the much better value. Benellis are overpriced.

If you want to get a Beretta 391 Urika 2 that is also a very handsome gun, get the Gold model. Has nicer wood, gorgeous Jeweled bolt and follower, and gold inlays.

Here is one for sale on gunbroker.com

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=138011328

Old August 27, 2009, 06:48 AM   #5
cbm1948

Beretta +1
I have 5, I have 3 sons, and we shoot them all. Never had a disabling
stoppage with one.

Clint
Old August 27, 2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Waterengineer

Beretta
Old August 27, 2009, 11:41 AM   #7
BigJimP

There is nothing wrong with either gun / but they're different.

Beretta is a gas gun / shoots dirtier than an inertia gun / but they've performed well over the years.

Benelli is an inertia gun / shoots a lot cleaner / if the one you are looking at has the ComfortTech system in it, it will probably give you about the same recoil as a gas gun.

The 391 seems to cycle everything / and while its hard to prove, I think the Benelli system cycles a little faster - whether you will notice it or not, hard to tell / but to me there is a difference. Beretta is cheaper / but I think you get a lot of gun for the money from Benelli .... My vote is for the Benelli.
Old August 27, 2009, 01:14 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTexas
beretta vs benelli
I'm trying to decide between te beretta 391 and benelli m2. Any thoughts?
PS: I'm mainly shooting clays, occasional bird hunting.
My friend, BigJim, prefers the Benelli, and the one he showed me is a very nice gun, indeed. Initial, I thought I'd be turned-off by its "Buck Rogers" looks, but it's a gun I could live with. Judging from the other replys, Jim is in the minority. It may be just a matter of folks liking the less expensive Berettas.

With the adjustability built into the modern Beretta and Benelli guns, fit isn't as important as it once was. Since you'll mainly be shooting clays, perhaps you should narrow your search to sporting guns as opposed to field guns like the M2. There are several models of Bereatta sporting AL391s ranging from $1,400 to $2,200. Benelli offers the Sport II for $1,700 and the SuperSport for just under $2K. IMHO: You need to narrow your search and then start shooting some guns. All the verbiage in the world can't totally describe how you'll react to the differences and similarities between the various guns on your short list.

Asking for recommendations between similar Barettas and Benellis is like asking if you should get a Ford or Chevy -- everyone has a slightly different opinion. What's important is what seems best to you.

Don't forget, after various acquisitions, Benelli is now a Beretta company. And, the Beretta line offers a much wider range of guns than Benelli.

Good luck and good shooting -- Please, let us know what you decide, and why.
Old August 27, 2009, 01:30 PM   #9
jmr40

I have the older Benelli M-1 and used to have the Beretta 390. Both are great guns. I am primarily a hunter who shoots a few rounds of clays to stay in practice so for me the Benelli is the better choice. I like the lighter weight and the way if feels to me. If I primarily shot clays I would have probably kept the Beretta.
Old August 27, 2009, 02:33 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
fit isn't as important as it once was
While I believe I know what my friend Zippy is trying to say.......fit IS important - it's just that both the new Berettas and Benellis have the ability to be slightly modified by the shooter to get a more exact fit without resorting to a trip to the stockmaker......
Old August 27, 2009, 03:12 PM   #11
BigJimP

Zippy and OneOunce have both said it / with the shims between the receiver and the stock / and in the case of the Benelli - with different optional comb pads, and recoil pads ( that snap off and on quickly ) its pretty easy to adjust either gun so it fits properly.

The different recoil pads / and the comb pads - are options on Benelli - they cost about $ 80 each / and they don't come standard with any of the models. The Benelli and Beretta both come with shims to adjust the point between the receiver and the stock for cast, etc.

This is the Benelli Super Sport - that I prefer in a semi auto / and I have one in 12ga and one in 20ga now ....

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...9&d=1226958132

I realize my opinion is in the minority / and that's ok - there isn't anyting wrong with the Beretta 391 ( it just isn't for me )...
Old August 27, 2009, 04:52 PM   #12
FJ4JAKE

I have two Benelli M2s (field, tactical models) My father has a M2 field. All have been awesome guns.
We shoot a lot... every thing from light clay loads to mag field loads. I dont remember any of the guns jamming... they eat all shells all day long...
Im sure both are great guns... comes down to fit, and budget...
My 65 year old mother likes to shoot clays with my M2, so Im sure the kick cant be that bad....
Old August 27, 2009, 06:06 PM   #13
RNB65

+1 Beretta 391
Old August 27, 2009, 06:21 PM   #14
RJM

I am going to be kind of blunt.

After owning a Benelli Super Black Eagle and now owning a couple of "gas operating" recoil guns (Winchester sx3, Franchi 620 and a Browning silver lightning) and strongly urge you to get a gas operated gun. I think the "inertia" recoil system of the benelli sucks and so does my shoulder. My vote would be for the Beretta.
Old August 27, 2009, 06:58 PM   #15
BigJimP

So ... since my 13 year old granddaughter ( all 100 lbs of her soaking wet ) - can shoot 150 shells thru a Benelli Super Sport 12ga with the comfort tech system in it - in an afternoon ......

...... and have a big smile on her face .... is because it sucks ....

she's also shot a Rem 1100 12ga / and a Rem 11-87 in 20ga - and she wants to shoot the Benelli Super Sport ( must be because it sucks again ..)

She shoots my reloads in the Benelli Super Sport / 1 oz loads at 1225 fps / same load I shoot in it ( now I am 6'5" and 290 lbs ) ....... but she's just a girl .... that's probably why it works for her .......
Old August 27, 2009, 07:18 PM   #16
oneounceload

Jim - do you have a shorter stock on that, or is she shooting the same LOP as you?
Old August 27, 2009, 07:43 PM   #17
RJM

BigJimP, I am stating my opinion about Benelli. Its my opinion because I have owned and shot Benellis in the past and can compare them to my gas guns that I currently own. My opinion is the inertia system is a marketing ploy to charge more for less and frankly sucks. That's the simplest way to put how I feel about Benelli's "inertia" system. My winchester sx3 recoils less than my benelli with every load I have fired through it and it hasn't taken a hundred round or so to "break in." I had a lot of problems with my benelli and hated how it shot, trigger wasn't good either. The Winchester is such a better gun.

I am looking forward to shooting my friends Vinci though. I think this is a good step forward for Benelli. A bit ugly for my tastes, but I think the "inline" modular thing is a step in the right direction. The gun certainly shoulders well. If I was to buy a Benelli nowadays, I would be looking at the vinci.
Old August 27, 2009, 08:16 PM   #18
jmr40

You are comparing the Super Black Eagle to the M-2. I'm not as big a fan of the SBE. It is lighter and probably less relaible since it is designed to shoot a wider range of loads. As far as recoil is concerned then yes the inertia guns will have a little more than a gas gun. People shoot pumps and doubles all the time without the benefit of a gas system with no complaints. The inertia system certainly recoils no more.
Old August 27, 2009, 08:23 PM   #19
Horseman

I like the way Benelli's fit but just passed on one this week. I think Benelli's marketing is outstanding and the guns are great but they are definately overpriced IMO. Plastic stocked camo M2 20 gauge was gonna cost nearly $1300. I don't mind spending the money but for $1300 I want a shotgun that looks expensive. 391 is a better gun for less money IMO.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:22 PM   #20
LanceOregon

Quote:
Beretta is a gas gun / shoots dirtier than an inertia gun / but they've performed well over the years.

Benelli is an inertia gun / shoots a lot cleaner / if the one you are looking at has the ComfortTech system in it, it will probably give you about the same recoil as a gas gun.

That is definitely a false statement by you. I've shot a number of models of both gun brands, and I can definitely say that both Beretta 391 and Browning Gold gas operated shotguns shoot softer and have less recoil, all other factors being equal. A Benelli will definitely have more recoil.

The downside to gas operated guns, though, is the fact that they do take more work to clean. So that is a valid criticism of them. The extra cleaning effort causes you to get much more exposure to lead, both through skin absorption or particles in the air.

And significant lead exposure can lead to cancer and/or brain damage over a long period of time. One should always use gloves when cleaning your gun to eliminate skin exposure, and always clean your gun in a well ventilated area.

Slip 2000 makes a fantastic product called Gas Piston Parts and Choke Tube Cleaner. I highly recommend it to shotgun shooters, especially those who shoot gas operated guns. Makes cleaning the gas piston so very easy.

Shooter's Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner is also another must have for any shotgun owner. It removes carbon buildup so very easily. Makes cleaning the rest of your shotgun far easier and much faster.

Don't waste a lot of your time scrubbing away with traditional gun cleaning solvents. Use the above products, and maintaining your shotgun will become a lot easier and quicker to do.

Quote:
The 391 seems to cycle everything / and while its hard to prove, I think the Benelli system cycles a little faster - whether you will notice it or not, hard to tell / but to me there is a difference. Beretta is cheaper / but I think you get a lot of gun for the money from Benelli .... My vote is for the Benelli.
This opinion of yours is nothing that is based at all in actual reality.

See:

Tim Bradley ( Beretta ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8p-xIs76RA

Patrick Flanigan ( Browning & Winchester ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0ufo8W8DU

Scott Robertson ( Beretta ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWoW3fw0IY

Average Joe Beretta owner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkWvsg_98hQ

--
Old August 27, 2009, 11:39 PM   #21
LanceOregon

Quote:
I like the way Benelli's fit but just passed on one this week. I think Benelli's marketing is outstanding
I think that you mean Beretta's marketing.

Benelli failed in the marketplace as a company on its own. Benelli, and all of its subsidiaries, were bought out and taken over by Beretta several years ago.

Benelli is now simply a division of Beretta.

--
Old August 27, 2009, 11:43 PM   #22
LanceOregon

Quote:
I am looking forward to shooting my friends Vinci though. I think this is a good step forward for Benelli. A bit ugly for my tastes, but I think the "inline" modular thing is a step in the right direction. The gun certainly shoulders well. If I was to buy a Benelli nowadays, I would be looking at the vinci.

The Vinci is a revolutionary shotgun. It looks so totally bizarre and ugly, however. I just don't think that I could warm up to it.

Looks like it should be real easy to clean, however, with the way that it so easily breaks apart.

Old August 28, 2009, 12:26 AM   #23
mathman

I'm with BigJimP and in the minority I suppose...I'll take the Benelli.

Quote:
The Winchester is such a better gun.
:barf:

Now, that is just hilarious...everyone is entitled to their opinion, but come on...are we talking about the same Winchester that went out of business a few years ago?

I agree that the SBE sucks...at least I don't like it...and I think it may go by the wayside. A 3 1/2" gun doesn't have a real practical purpose for most people anyway.

There is a reason that the Benelli is expensive...because people buy it...and there must be a reason that people buy it...because they work and are easy to maintain...kind of like the Glock of shotguns. (Don't flame me for that...just sayin')

Buy what you want...I'll take the Benelli...oh wait, I already have two.
Old August 28, 2009, 12:42 AM   #24
bsbllrooster10

Benelli

I say get a benelli with the comfortech stock. My twelve gauge super black eagle II kicks like a little 20ga. Its been completely flawless and will always get my vote. Not to mention Gun Tests graded it an A+ which is saying alot and it got their shotgun of the year award as well.
Old August 28, 2009, 01:17 AM   #25
226nsw

hunting benelli clays beretta wear gloves and don't lick your shotgun when cleaning it and I think you will be ok my 391 will go a LOT! of shells before it needs cleaning just keep it lubed cheap 7/8 oz loads all day long without a hiccup but both are a good shotguns