The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 5, 2005, 01:27 AM   #1
Sum1_Special

OTIS Military and Professional Cleaning Systems?

I bought an otis tactical cleaning system( http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/stor...=40&idp=38&his ) off ebay recently but the seller sent me the wrong item. What I recieved was the 7.62/5.56 SNIPER SYSTEM( http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/stor...a=58&idp=5&his ) for the M40A3 Scout/Sniper Rifle. These are marked as 'Military and Professional Cleaning Systems' And are more expensive compared to the 'Hunting and Sporting' category, of which the tactical system is put into.

-The Otis Tactical Cleaning System is going for $45, it supposedly cleans every gun from .117 to 10 guage

-The Sniper System goes for $70 and only cleans rifles chambered in 7.62/5.56

-Even the 'Professional' pistol kits for(only) the 1911 and M9 are $50 each.

My question to you is, What do these military kits have that the hunter kits don't? Why would anyone buy these individual kits when the tactical cleaning system does it all?

I have a Mosin Nagant so this kit is quite useful, but I have handguns aswell and it will not clean them. I have gotten a partial refund for it so I could easily sell this for a profit, but I might consider keeping it if it is of considerably better quality than the tactical kit.
Old August 14, 2005, 02:46 AM   #2
mikikanazawa

"THE" military versions are tailor made for military applications; to fit in certain gear pouches, etc. Otis is a very active military contractor AND they are classified as a small minority+female-owned company and practically have a corner on the sub-$100,000 contract arena for their products.
Old August 30, 2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Sum1_Special

Yes, but why would any civilian want the 'military' kits, What is so special about them besides a few extra features?

I realize our armed forces have their own needs but, Why would the military issue 1 kit for each weapon when they could just as easily issue a kit that will clean everything?
Old September 2, 2005, 08:50 AM   #4
RAHatto

what I know

From what I have seen/experanced on the Air Force side of things is.
M16 series has 1 cleaning kit that actually fits in the butt stock cavity of the M16's.
The Beretta's have a seperate cleaning kit you get to clean when needed.
The 203 gernade launcher attachment (mounted uder the M16 barrel) has a seperate cleaning kit (that does not store in the butt stock). You get it from CATM/armory when you need to clean it (or carry your own like I did).
M60 (pig) has a seperate kit you get to clean whenever.
The 12 gauge (very rare anywhere but northen teir area) has a seperate kit.
Mk 19 has its own kit but is only cleaned at armory due to its size/availability.
50 cal has its own kit but is only cleaned at armory due to its size/availability.

This is infomation based on experance and that I have seen. The kits are accurate but armory may let some people clean there own .50/Mk 19 by now.