The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 15, 2018, 07:16 PM   #1
629StealthHunter

IDPA rig on a budget.

My son is a new IDPA member. He will be shooting a Glock 17. I need to build a IDPA rig centered around the Glock 17. I want a budget friendly rig for a beginner that is functional and good quality. And IDPA legal of course. Thanks
Old March 15, 2018, 08:35 PM   #2
zincwarrior

Comp tac holster and two mag holders.
A stiff belt like beltmen
Old March 15, 2018, 10:26 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I've seen people with the $10 Glock holster and mag carriers.
https://www.amazon.com/Glock-GLOCK-S.../dp/B00IK3XQ4G
Old March 16, 2018, 05:24 PM   #4
pete2

I don't have any high dollar rigs. Don't need them. A good belt and a holster and mag holder. The plastic stuff works just fine, I have Uncle Mikes, Fobus, Safariland, DeSantis, Bladetech. None cost over 50.00, mag carriers 20 to 30.00. Better off spending money on a gun, ammo and good magazines. To me it isn't about being pretty. A stiff belt is a big plus but you don't have to spend 150.00 to get one. The Wilderness instructor belt doesn't cost an arm and a leg and it will do the job.
Old March 18, 2018, 12:29 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

A budget friendly rig comes from Uncle Mike's. As mentioned, the belt is as important as the holster and mag pouches.
However, if Junior has the time and a bit of skill with his hands, he can make his own. Tandy's has the how to books, tools and leather.
Old March 18, 2018, 01:28 PM   #6
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
I don't have any high dollar rigs. Don't need them. A good belt and a holster and mag holder. The plastic stuff works just fine, I have Uncle Mikes, Fobus, Safariland, DeSantis, Bladetech. None cost over 50.00, mag carriers 20 to 30.00. Better off spending money on a gun, ammo and good magazines. To me it isn't about being pretty. A stiff belt is a big plus but you don't have to spend 150.00 to get one. The Wilderness instructor belt doesn't cost an arm and a leg and it will do the job.
Fair point on the Fobys holsters. They are adjustable fir tension and can be just fine on the budget.
Don't skimp on the belt. A good belt is very important for both competition and carry. However should be fine at $70.
Old March 18, 2018, 03:24 PM   #7
PPGMD

My suggested starter competition kit:
5.11 Tactical Instructor Belt
Comp-tac or Blade-tech Competition Kit (plus an extra double mag carrier if in the budget for USPSA)
Warren Tactical Fiber Optic Sights
Glock 17 or Glock 34
A total of 6 mags

This is starter gear that will allow a person to shoot most action shooting sports. Everything can be upgraded later.
Old March 18, 2018, 04:40 PM   #8
zincwarrior

If dollars are a serious factor, get the Comp Tacdouble mag and Focus holster.

But I am with PPGMD if he is looking to regular ly compete. The difference is probably only about $40.

Question is the 5.11 a stiff shooting belt? If not it won't give the support needed for competition and carry. Does it have stiffeners like a comp tac belt?
Old March 18, 2018, 09:45 PM   #9
PPGMD

The 5.11 instructor belt is a good starter belt. It doesn't have stiffeners, but it is a 5 stitch belt.

If his son is really serious about IDPA I would imagine most of this gear (with exception of the Comp-tac holster) would be replaced within a couple of years. For example better single mag pouches instead of doubles.
Old March 19, 2018, 11:59 AM   #10
bamaranger

Glock holster and mag carriers-Watson

That would be me. Except I use the Uncle Mikes mag carriers instead of two single Glock items. I started bamaboy that way too. We've both fell away from IDPA lately, and he upgraded his gear, but the combo is more than adequate. A single thickness nylon BDU belt from Propper works too. A bit flimsy, but I had them on hand.

I really like the Glock holster for all around utility. You can buy one, cheap, or several and cut them for different belt sizes, affordably. As an OWB, they conceal relatively well as long as you watch your wardrobe. They secure well enough, even after many presentations. I buy the larger size, and run them with both the G17 and the G21 size frames with no complaints The FBI cant is a bit slower probably than a true vertical, but I can live with it, and believe the canted numbers conceal a bit better. You can carry what you compete with.
Old March 20, 2018, 08:41 PM   #11
629StealthHunter

Update

Thanks for the advice so far. I ordered my sons first piece of gear today. Wilderness Tactical Products Original Instructor Belt. It is 1 3/4 wide with the C.S.M. (polymer lined, combat shooters model) option added. I was not sure on the size to order so I took measurements and called them and got great customer service and the C.S.M. option was recommended for IDPA competition. It ended up being a little more than I wanted to spend for a budget rig that he will probably outgrow but from research, reviews, recommendations, and the customer service that I received, this is the belt I chose. Thanks again!
Old March 20, 2018, 09:32 PM   #12
Jim Watson

You will not outgrow the Wilderness as an IDPA shooter.
Maybe in girth, but they will put your buckle on new nylon.
Old March 22, 2018, 12:46 AM   #13
Viper225

Keep an eye on Brownells and Midway for $19.99 sales on Glock magazines, and free shipping on $50 or $100 orders.

Bring up IDPA Rules on your computer and read up on LEGAL Holsters, Magazine Pouch's and Magazines. IDPA has some goofey Rules.

He will need a Vest also. I have a couple Duluth Trade Working Man's Vests in Tall. Carry a Barney Magazine with a few rounds in the Strong Side lower pocket for Sweep Ballast.

Bob R
Old March 22, 2018, 09:22 AM   #14
Jim Watson

You don't HAVE to have a VEST. Lots of concealment garments out there. I have worn an aloha shirt but just for style, it is kind of floppy for speed. I know one guy who wears a Salvation Army sport coat in horrible royal blue houndstooth.
Old March 22, 2018, 04:07 PM   #15
rwilson452

You can often find a good stiff belt at stores that carry western style stuff.
Old March 23, 2018, 03:55 PM   #16
Don P

Quote:
I want a budget friendly rig for a beginner that is functional and good quality. And IDPA legal of course. Thanks
If you are blessed to live where CCW permits are issued and have one, then you have what you need. Holster and magazine carrier. Worst case scenario you'll have to by a double magazine pouch
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 28, 2018, 03:08 AM   #17
Jeff22

Comp Tac makes good gear.

I've also had good luck with Blade Tech and the Bianchi Black Widow holster (in leather) is a particular favorite of mine too.

For concealment purposes in IDPA, I've used BDU blouses in green or blue and they work pretty well and they're relatively inexpensive. And I have accumulated a large number of vests for concealment over the years and actually wear them in "real life" in cooler weather.
Old March 29, 2018, 12:36 PM   #18
Captains1911

You are asking for budget friendly quality gear. Pick one.

For a quality belt, I'd recommend the one you already got, the Wilderness Instructor belt. For a quality competition holster, the Comp-Tac International holster is hard to beat. For something more budget friendly, I really like KT Mech holsters, they aren't necessarily competition holsters, but they do come with an option for a retention screw, so you can adjust the retention up or down depending on preference and use, and will certainly work for competition.