The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 1, 2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Saltydog235

Kimber Patrol Tactical Manners

Anyone have one or feedback on one? Uses their 8400 action which on my research is like a blend of the M700, M70 and 98 actions. Sort of a cross between a custom and production rifle. Reviews I've gotten from Kimber owners have been mixed on their cheaper 84 actions and hunting rifles.
Old June 1, 2019, 07:30 PM   #2
jmr40

The Kimber action is much closer to scaled down current production Winchester 70's than anything else. Not anywhere near a 700.

The different model numbers just indicate action size, not quality. The 84 action is the smallest and geared toward 308 class cartridges.

The 8400 was originally intended for all long action cartridges, but proved to be bigger than needed for 30-06 class cartridges. You will find some older 8400 rifles in 30-06, 270 etc, but currently only long action magnums are on the 8400 action.

The 84L is the newest size and was designed for non-magnum long action cartridges. It is a lighter, trimmer action than the 8400.

The 8400 WSM is essentially a short action 84 action tweaked to work with the WSM line of cartridges.

Kimber uses a basic CRF action, but everything is scaled down to reduce weight. You pay a premium for Kimbers to get a 5 lb rifle, not to get an accurate rifle. And anything else in that weight class will cost 2 1/2-3X more than a Kimber. In that regard if you're looking for a lightweight rifle they are a bargain.

They are very well finished, all the wood stocked versions have had nice wood, and unlike everyone else the 84M uses a high quality stock every bit as good as a $600 McMillan. The new 84 Hunter uses a cheap injection molded stock and sells for $400-$500 less than the 84M. But by all accounts is still a nice rifle if you don't mind tupperware stocks.

In my experience Kimbers are every bit as accurate as any other hunting rifle, and better than most. But not many people can shoot a 5lb rifle as accurately as an 8 lb rifle. That is why the mixed reviews.

In recent years Kimber has attempted to enter the target/tactical market. I think the "potential" is there to be as accurate as anything else. But if I were looking for the utmost in accuracy I don't think a Kimber would be at the top of my list. I really like the Tikka CTR for that role. But my 84M in 308 is a joy to carry on hunts in rugged terrain, and is more than accurate enough for what I use it for.

Winston Churchill