The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 10, 2019, 02:49 PM   #26
kmw1954

Voter Turn Out! What about it? We all have a Right to vote, whether you chose to exorcise that right is completely to you. I can ask my friends and neighbors if they need a ride to the polls but I cannot make them go.

To which I will apply the same line of thinking. If you don't participate and vote then I do not want to hear you crying about politics. You didn't believe your voice counted before the vote then my should it matter after the vote if you didn't exorcise your right?

Yes numbers win elections it's that plain and simple. If you chose not to inform yourself, educate yourself on the issues and the people that are looking for your vote and then chose not to participate then you have no ground to complain after the fact.

As a matter of fact in our elections every time I see a position that is being run unopposed/unchallenged I write in my own name. Face it after the election no one looks to compare how many vote a candidate received as compared to how many were cast.

If unopposed all you need to do is vote for yourself and you win!
Old March 10, 2019, 10:20 PM   #27
5whiskey

Quote:
The 7th establishes the right to trial by jury.
The sixth establishes trial by jury in criminal matters. The 7th enshrines a jury trial to civil suits... exceeding 20 bucks. While yes, a jury trial in civil suits is important... 20 bucks is a low threshold .

None the less, I agree with your further analysis. To try and make raffling a gun off against the law is just, I don’t even know what it is other than just out of touch with reality. Which is why I spent as much time over rural vs urban America. I assure you rural America (heck and many in urban America) thinks this is beyond out of touch.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 11, 2019, 12:08 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
.. 20 bucks is a low threshold
Today, it is. Back when you could buy 3 loaves of bread for a penny, $20 was a considerable chunk of change. More than a month's wages for many in the 1790s. A Hundred years later, $20 was still more than a week's wages for most regular working class folks.

The big problem with the "urban" mindset is that while we know their world is not our world, they "know" their world is the only world.

And, thanks to sheer numbers, they often get to impose their lunacy de jour on the rest of us, whether we like it, or not.
Old March 12, 2019, 07:52 AM   #29
USNRet93

Quote:
And, thanks to sheer numbers, they often get to impose their lunacy de jour on the rest of us, whether we like it, or not.
Which is true regardless of which side of the political spectrum you happen to reside in.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 23, 2019, 08:36 AM   #30
wizrd

Not to Worry - the way that this proposed legislation is worded, it will not affect your club or organization if the organization has the winners go to an FFL and complete the necessary paperwork, just as if they were purchasing the firearm.

The NY club that I belong to - Camden Rod & Gun Club, of Camden NY - has been running a Gun-A-Day raffle for the month of June for 22 years. We have studied the newly proposed legislation, and as it is written, it will not affect any organizations that we know of that are currently having a gun raffle. The key to understanding this lies in the legal definitions NY uses under their Penal Code, relative to the various terminology used there.

That being said, NO ONE (read NO LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY) in NY state will look into any improprieties or illegal practices in any raffle. I have personally been robbed of a $ 15,000.00 prize in a (charitable raffle) several years ago, - go to law enforcement - local police - 'Not our job' - Oneida Co. Sheriff - "Not our job" -- State Police - " Not our Job" -- NY State attorney general takes care of this - 3 letters, registered, return receipt to NYS Attorney General Office - never got a damned reply - go figure. Statute of limitations has since expired.

Go ahead with your raffle - you're good.
Old March 24, 2019, 09:23 PM   #31
5whiskey

Quote:
Not to Worry - the way that this proposed legislation is worded, it will not affect your club or organization if the organization has the winners go to an FFL and complete the necessary paperwork, just as if they were purchasing the firearm.
Every single raffle that I have personal knowledge of does this very thing. From NRA banquets to FOP raffles, winners have always had to pick up the firearm from a dealer and fill out a 4473 to my knowledge. So this in effect does nothing then.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 25, 2019, 02:54 AM   #32
silvermane_1

I am curious if Ms./Mrs. Jo Anne Simon is a dual citizen?, if so then it kinda makes sense that she is anti-2A, alot of dual citizen politicians tend to be anti-2A.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c

Last edited by silvermane_1; March 25, 2019 at 03:12 AM.
Old March 26, 2019, 10:07 AM   #33
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
I am curious if Ms./Mrs. Jo Anne Simon is a dual citizen?, if so then it kinda makes sense that she is anti-2A, alot of dual citizen politicians tend to be anti-2A.
Pretty broad brush there.
Quote:
Simon was born in Yonkers, New York where she resided before becoming the first in her family to attend college, at Iona College. She would later graduate from Gallaudet University with a master's degree in Education of the Deaf, and from the Fordham University School of Law.[1]

Career
Simon established a disability civil rights law firm in Downtown Brooklyn, and would also serve as an adjunct Assistant Professor of Law at Fordham. A resident of Brooklyn for nearly forty years, Simon formerly served as the President of the Boerum Hill Association before being elected to the Assembly. In 2004, she was elected female District Leader and State Committeewoman for the 52nd Assembly District.[2]
Quote:
In 2014, Senator Ted Cruz and then Representative Michelle Bachman attracted wide press coverage when they renounced their Canadian and Swiss nationalities respectively.
https://www.tedcruz.org/proven-leader/second-amendment/

http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Mic...un_Control.htm

"Tools not Trophies”
Old March 27, 2019, 03:24 AM   #34
silvermane_1

There are plenty of singular citizenship Anti-2A politicians too, but names like Feinstein, Blumberg, Schumer are dual citizens and are some of the biggest names in the Anti-2A camp, and yes they tend to represent metropolitan areas there USNRet93, heck Blumberg and Feinstein are the biggest ones bar none.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c