The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 14, 2017, 10:45 PM   #1
ShotNeverBought

Remington Derringer Confusion

I am hoping to help my mother-in-law gather information on a set of guns left by my late father-in-law, in order to prevent her from being ripped off. One of the guns in the set is a Remington .41 Rimfire Double Derringer with the text on the barrel reading "REMINGTON ARMS -- U.M.C.CO.ILION,N.Y." The bottom of the barrel has the numbers "8" and "1" stamped vertically into it, and "18" is stamped under the hardened rubber panels on the sides. I have found a lot of information calling this gun a "Model 95" or "Model 3" or "Type 3" or "Model 4" or dozens of other things. I have also seen the values of similar-looking guns range from $200 to $3000. Honestly, there seems to be a lot of conflicting info, or maybe I'm just getting confused! haha I don't believe this gun is in fantastic condition, but am not sure if it's age or variation would add value to it, or if some restoration could improve it's appeal. Additionally, one of the side panels is cracked, and the hinge is cracked, and I know this affects the value, but I'm not sure how. I have included pictures to this post for clarification, and would love any information I can get (I will add a comment with additional images, it seems the limit is 3). From what I know, this is a yard sale find, so no disappointment if this isn't special, but I want my mother-in-law to get what she deserves! Thank you for your help, and let me know if I am posting in the wrong place or misusing this board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1265_s.jpg (182.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1268_s.jpg (166.0 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1269_s.jpg (169.9 KB, 199 views)
Old January 14, 2017, 10:47 PM   #2
ShotNeverBought

More pictures of the gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1270_s.jpg (222.1 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1271_s.jpg (193.1 KB, 196 views)
Old January 15, 2017, 02:16 AM   #3
Scorch

The Remington Double Derringer/Model 3/Model 4/Model 95 are all valid names, because the Elliot-designed double-barreled derringer was in production from 1866 until 1938, so it survived several incarnations of the Remington Arms company. Yours is in about average fair condition, with cracked hinge ears and cracked grips. They were chambered for 41 rimfire, a modestly powered cartridge, but in the days before trauma surgeons and antibiotics it was a credible threat. It is not shootable in the condition it is in, but it would make a good shadow box addition.
Old January 15, 2017, 04:53 PM   #4
ShotNeverBought

I really appreciate your response! So, with this being more of a collectors piece than one for recreation, where would you recommend selling it? I think my mother-in-law would like to get rid of them, but she just wanted to go to a local arms shop. I, however, would be willing to sell it another way for her. Additionally, what price do you think would be fair? And would restoring/cleaning it be worth the time/effort/supplies? Could a novice safely restore it significantly? Thanks again!
Old January 15, 2017, 06:06 PM   #5
Remington74

I would not try to restore it, leave that to the next buyer. I would put it on an auction site such as Gunbroker and have a reserve of +/- $700. I think a collector would be glad to pick that one up in the condition it is in. Shadow box gun? maybe. Collectable antique? All you need is one person to think it is. I personally think a "restoration" would cause it to loose about 50% of whatever it's value would otherwise be.
Old January 15, 2017, 07:50 PM   #6
ShotNeverBought

Wow, thank you both! Is this the appropriate board to post more questions like this?
Old February 28, 2017, 05:27 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unfortunately, that Remington suffers from a very common problem, the barrel lug on the receiver is cracked. I can see only the left side, but odds are that the other side is the same or worse. That damage is very common and seems to be the result, not of firing the gun, but of "flipping" it open. The result is that the gun is damaged beyond repair (welding is not feasible with cast iron) and its value is reduced to some nominal amount. With the general overall condition, I would estimate value at around $200, solely for display.
Jim
Old February 28, 2017, 06:50 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Flayderman says the grooved hammer indicates it is one of the last 5500 made. It would be worth a bit of money if it were not rusty and broken.
As it stands, James K is about right, maybe optimistic.
Old March 1, 2017, 01:21 AM   #9
Hawg

Just because something is old doesn't make it worth anything. Condition is everything and that one is very poor.
Old March 2, 2017, 11:04 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just FWIW, those Remingtons in 90% condition are currently going for up to $5000-$10,000, depending on model. (So few are found in over 90% that most value books don't bother to list those grades.) They are definitely desirable, but if buying, be sure to have a good magnifying glass and do NOT hesitate to ask the seller to cut the tie if at a gun show. If you can't look at that lug, pass. Some cracks are hard to see, but most are obvious with a decent glass.

(Of course, if you just want a non-firing example, then you might accept a cracked frame, but make sure you don't pay top value for it.

Jim
Old March 3, 2017, 02:14 AM   #11
Powermwt

Here is another thread with mine and several others shown.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234566

Very interesting little guns.

Tags
derringer , remington