The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 25, 2022, 06:00 PM   #1
hodaka

M1A1 Restore

I have the opportunity to acquire most of a Springfield rifle. It is missing both the Op rod and the trigger group. Previous owner passed away so I have no idea on the history. I'm thinking a replacement rod and trigger would cost around $500 plus any assorted other springs, mags, etc. Is it a worthwhile project or a money pit. Own a Garand but never one of these. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Old July 25, 2022, 06:38 PM   #2
SR420

Yes it is worth it.

You can order a new op rod and trigger group from Springfield Armory Inc. or you can send the rifle off to Smith Enterprise where they can do everything, test fire it for accuracy, and return it to you. SEI has built 5 M14s for me over the years, all of them are outstanding.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/review...y-horse-rifle/

Last edited by SR420; July 27, 2022 at 04:44 AM.
Old July 26, 2022, 04:39 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

Great target rifles. Superior accuracy to the other battle rifles of it's era.

Replacing the missing parts shouldn't be that big of a deal.

It's the price of 7.62x51 ammo that will turn it into a money pit unfortunately
Old July 26, 2022, 05:48 PM   #4
Scorch

M1A, not M1A1. M1A1 is a tank, or a paratroopers folding stock M1 Carbine

For rebuilding your rifle, you might call the folks at Fulton Armory. I have used them for customers' rifles and was quite pleased with their work.
Old July 26, 2022, 08:53 PM   #5
hodaka

Thanks for the comments and nomenclature correction. Seems like a worthwhile project. I've had several 308's and have brass, primers and bullets so ammo is not an issue. I'll let you know how it goes. Fulton seems like a good place to start.
Old July 27, 2022, 11:32 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

If it is actually a Springfield M1A, you might consider contacting them, particularly to find out when it was made.

The original M1A's (Springfield's name for the rifle, NOT any USGI designation) were made with new receivers and USGI surplus M14 parts.

Later on, when the available supply of GI parts was used up, Springfield made, or had the needed parts made for them.

I remember there was an issue (in the 80s, I think) about the bolts being used, and some rifles were recalled and checked, and in at least some cases, bolts were replaced. I have one of the rifles that was checked, and returned as ok, and (somewhere) the paperwork that was done.

The rifle you are looking to restore, MAY be one in that group, and, may, or may NOT have been checked and/or repaired.

I'd contact the maker to see if they could identify that. You could wind up restoring the rifle to functionality, only to find out you have a "bad" bolt, so seems to me the proper time to find out (if you can) would be before starting the project.

Finding out you need the bolt replaced along with the missing parts isn't automatically a deal breaker, but will be an additional cost and work.

Good Luck.
Old July 27, 2022, 12:03 PM   #7
Bart B.

There's one thing about the M14 design that wasn't realized until super accurate match ones were built.

Rapid fire matches require two magazines; one holds 2 rounds, the other, 8. Both have to use the same zero on the rear sight. The slight differences in how each fit the rifle requires testing several to find a matched pair. M1 Garands don't have this issue.
Old July 27, 2022, 02:28 PM   #8
SR420

Super accurate M14s in chassis stocks don't have this issue either, and they were used in two way matches with great success.
Old July 27, 2022, 06:23 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Rapid fire matches require two magazines; one holds 2 rounds, the other, 8.
And this is a hold over from the M1 Garand days, isn't it?? One clip (full) with 8 and one modified clip with 2 to be able to fire 10 shots in that stage of the match.

Since one 20rnd M14 mag will hold 10, why require two mags? TO make things "fair" with the guys still shooting M1 Garands?

I don't see this as anything about the accuracy of the rifle's design, only a quirk of match rules that affect no one who isn't shooting in those matches.
Old July 27, 2022, 11:11 PM   #10
kenny53

https://www.lrbarms.com/m14-parts.html

They had an op rod and trigger group, they aren't cheap.
Old July 28, 2022, 08:28 AM   #11
SR420

https://www.fulton-armory.com/m14-m1a-2.aspx

Fulton also has a bunch of parts... they sold out of Norinco/Poly Tech forged 1-peice op rods @ $300.00 a pop.
Old July 28, 2022, 12:50 PM   #12
Bart B.

Delete
Old July 28, 2022, 12:52 PM   #13
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
And this is a hold over from the M1 Garand days, isn't it??.
No, the 1903 Springfield. The objective is to see what skills you have reloading after the magazine is empty.

The Infantry Trophy Match with M1 rifles typically involves shooting 24 shots in 50 seconds at 600 and 500 yards in the first two stages. Good competitors put all 24 inside 12 inches at 600, 10 at 500. Been there, done that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=infa...obile&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by Bart B.; July 28, 2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old July 31, 2022, 11:40 AM   #14
jrothWA

Kindly check the SN, there was concern with the four digit SN, that may have a cracking
situation on the heal of the action. This occurred after the move to to Genesco.

Also, with the action open , check the width of the lower frame, which the bolt passes thru,
as the bolt cycles back and forth, the Firing Pin tang is retain when the bolt closes and holds the FP back until the bolt rotates to the slot, then allow the FP to move forward.

Best buy the Kuhnhuasen book on the M1 Garand, M14 & the M1A1. Good info.

PS, I attended the Camp Perry and wanted a replacement barrel. they crew at the "Springfiled Armory", check the four digit SN and thye called other crew-members to review it.
They swapped teh barrel and completed the check of the rifle.

Sitll in use.