The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 3, 2022, 10:42 AM   #26
Right to bear arms

I'm actually getting ahead of myself on the scope. It will be several months before I get the rifle from Arizona and I will have to have the stock reworked. I just love the thought of getting an old classic rifle. I know I don't need it but there is something about being born a country boy and finally being able to afford something over $20. The intricate machining, the look of a walnut stock and the memories of a crisp fall morning that it evokes. I know I could shoot everything I need to shoot with a $300 Walmart special but there is just something special about a 70 year old bolt action and the situations its been in. Thank all of you for your learned comments and sometime in 2022 Lord willing I'm going to put a Leupold 3x9IIc on the old girl and try to scare a huge 85 lb Georgia whitetail with it!
Old January 4, 2022, 08:42 PM   #27
The Happy kaboomer

Looks like my post disappeared. Apparently someone didn't like it.
Old January 5, 2022, 10:19 AM   #28
603Country

I think a good used Leupold scope is a good idea, as would be the Burris FF2. A few years back, I bought a Burris FF2 in 4.5-14 and liked it so much I bought a second one.

In that price range, you aren’t likely to find a scope with an illuminated reticle that’s worth using, but I could be wrong on that issue. I did buy a Vortex Crossfire II with an illuminated reticle, and it was inexpensive. The illumination was really pretty good, but the scope didn’t last very long. As for an illuminated reticle, and whether or not you want or need one, that’ll depend on your hunting. I got along just fine with good old duplex reticles for decades and never needed illumination. But, when the hogs moved onto our place in Texas, I found that in dim light, black crosshairs on a black hog are about worthless. So, on to illuminated reticles, some of which are good, and some not. The best that I have is a Leupold VX5 with the fire dot. Man, that’s perfect. Also good is the Athlon Midas 2.5-15 that replaced the Crossfire.

Of course, if you aren’t pig hunting, I suppose illuminated reticles aren’t needed.
Old January 5, 2022, 12:16 PM   #29
105kw

I was taught that you shouldn't need anything more than 4 power.
If you can't see it on 4x, you shouldn't be shooting at it.
I agree with leaving the Weaver on the rifle. A .300 H&H, with the original scope would be a cool hunting rig
Old January 13, 2022, 09:24 PM   #30
The Happy kaboomer

Borrow the money and buy a decent scope. You don't a "cheapie" scope on that nice rifle.
Old January 14, 2022, 12:10 AM   #31
Polinese

I still think a weaver k4 would be the perfect match and was probably what were found on most Mod 70s in their heyday
Old January 15, 2022, 12:39 PM   #32
Right to bear arms

I just purchased an older Leupold 3x9IIc off of ebay but put it on my .338 Ruger. Since I'm out of cash now I'll probably leave the old K4 on the 300 H&H.
I do have to buy dies and work up some 180-200 grain loads.