The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 25, 2021, 12:32 PM   #1
Prof Young

After market sights for Henry 22lr?

I really enjoy my Henry 22LR but have a hard time getting the sights dead on. I could mount a scope, but that just doesn't look right to me on a lever action gun (Yeah I know that's dumb but . . . ) Anyway I'm wonder if anyone makes a rear sight for that rifle that is more stable and easier to adjust?

Prof Young
Old December 25, 2021, 12:54 PM   #2
Rob228

I put a Skinner on mine (Henry Big Boy), they make them for the .22 as well. Its a receiver mounted peep site
http://www.skinnersights.com

Then I got a dovetail plug from Ranger Point Precision to fill the dovetail in the barrel from removing the factory sights.
Old December 26, 2021, 02:26 AM   #3
chris in va

How about a micro red dot?
Old December 27, 2021, 02:45 PM   #4
bamaranger

Sights

On my Henry lever .22, I had trouble seeing the bead/blade OEM and went with a peep. Skinner makes great sights, but they are pricey.. Skinner sells a rear sight specifically for the Henry dovetail,. You may need to have a higher front sight as well.

What I ended up doing was installing a Williams dovetail mount peep myself and had Skinner dovetail my front barrel band and install one of their steel front posts.. Skinner folks were great to work with. Fitting the Williams dovetail peep was a real chore, were I to do it again, I would simply buy the Skinner rear as well. I saved about 25.00 bucks, but the fit job was tiring.

Peeps look "right" on a lever carbine and maintain the rugged utility and tradition of the design. A red dot would not be a solution for me and my old school ltastes.. a peep allows me to shoot irons for a bit longer. I'm resisting a scope on my lever carbine for as long as possible!
Old December 27, 2021, 02:51 PM   #5
bamaranger

Dovetail

Note I am referring to the receiver scope dovetails and not the barrel/blade sight. Also, on my carbine, the front barrel band front sight was one piece., no easy way to change front sight height.

Skinner web site explains much of this better than I am doing.