The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 23, 2021, 08:16 AM   #1
Nathan

So, who made this?

Gorgeous rifle, but no makers mark. LINK

Anybody recognize the pattern? It is in Kalispell MT, so I’m guessing from that area of the world. Dennis Olson? Jerry Fisher? Another? I don’t see how this could be a kitchen table one off….but maybe.

I’m guessing less that 50 yrs old by the caliber/pattern/style, but it has some poor fit at the butt plate indicating maybe it got wet??
Old December 23, 2021, 09:08 AM   #2
ligonierbill

It could be a Richards Microfit Old Classic #102, but "old classic" implies it is a common style. Nice wood and nice work, though. I don't think the buttplate reflects any damage, rather that was the best the stocker could do. I have found in making flintlocks that fitting that buttplate is harder than it looks. So yes, could be a skilled, but not professional, "kitchen table" build. You can buy those Model 70 style safeties from Brownell's, and a reasonably skilled amateur can install one. Overall a very nice rifle, and the seller obviously thinks it is a work of art. Just me, but I think he's $1,000 too high.
Old December 23, 2021, 10:12 AM   #3
101combatvet

Ask the seller.
Old December 23, 2021, 10:24 AM   #4
stagpanther

Interesting--I think there was someone else on the forum who was looking to have exactly this kind of conversion made. looks sweet.
Old December 23, 2021, 10:54 AM   #5
Jim Watson

This was a popular style at one time when 1909 Argentine Mausers with the sporter style floor plate latch were readily available. It was commonly said that an overloaded .280 was comparable to a 7mm Magnum without the bother of modifying boltface and magazine. So a .280 Improved had to be even better, right?
Old December 23, 2021, 11:51 AM   #6
stagpanther

The stock strongly resembles a high grade walnut model 70 type stock. Beautiful.
Old December 23, 2021, 12:24 PM   #7
Nathan

The seller doesn’t know and refuses to speculate based on the info from where he got it.

The problem is, it could be a great piece of unsigned work. Or it could be an unshootable almost attempt at learning to gunsmith. Pictures won’t show that. Is the wood right for a gunstock or was it table wood? What a shame! Looks great in pics. It would be $4-12000, if you knew the work was solid and the butt was refit!
Old December 23, 2021, 12:31 PM   #8
stagpanther

I'm not an expert, and don't own a mauser--but at just a glance that looks like a heavily customized rifle in very good condition. Problem with these type of things is that it's hard to know without having it in your hands to examine. If the seller was willing to work with you on taking a look at it as a condition (my guess it doesn't work that way with on-line brokers) I'd take a stab at it. Ask forum member Scorch about it--he knows these well I believe.
Old December 23, 2021, 12:47 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Its got all the bells and whistles of a proper high grade sporter conversion.

The action has the thumb slot common to military 98s as well as the clip guide though that appears to have been modified.

My books say the .280 was introduced in 1957 (in Rem's autoloader) so the chambering could date from almost any time after that. My guess is that the rifle was probably made up in the 60s, though the 70s is not out of the question.

The finish is good, the wood and metal work are very good, it could be the work of a good professional smith, or a skilled enthusiast, or a combination of both.

Won't comment on the asking price, other than everything is more expensive than it used to be, and it's good to see a fine custom rifle not on a gun show table for $300 because it's not stainless and synthetic..
Old December 23, 2021, 01:30 PM   #10
skywag

I once bought a JK Cloward rifle at a BIG discount. Someone had ordered it and never showed up to pick it up. Jim wouldn't sign it.
Old December 23, 2021, 05:49 PM   #11
GeauxTide

It's definitely a converted military because of the slot on the left side of the frame (for inserting strip mags), no rear hammer shroud, and the converted safety. As suggested, contact the seller.
Old December 23, 2021, 07:44 PM   #12
stagpanther

Too late--it's gone.