The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 22, 2021, 10:01 PM   #1
Bent Brass

Need Mannlicher-Schoenauer Scope Mount Info

Recent Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1952 came without a scope mount.
I'd like to get a period mount for it.
I can see the left side of the receiver has been drilled for three holes in a triangular pattern.
All of the mounts i have found so far have a four-hole in-line arrangement, either evenly spaced or in two groups of two holes.

My questions:

1. Did any of the M-Ss come with pre-drilled/tapped holes in the receiver for a scope mount, or were they all drilled and tapped aftermarket for whichever mount you bought?

2. Does anyone know if the three-hole arrangement is indicative of any particular brand of aftermarket scope mount?

3. Was there initially a spacer between the left side of the receiver and the stock where the scope mount would eventually go? That wood there looks awful thin to have not been backed-up by either a wooden or steel spacer, maybe to be removed (and of course lost) when and if a scope was mounted.

4. Any suggestions other than the already-failed google search where i might find a replacement rear (dovetail) sight, or a front sight hood?
Old December 22, 2021, 11:08 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I no longer have the books needed for detailed answers, but here is what I have.

1. By 1972 the 1961 MCA was factory d&t for a Redfield top mount. I don't know when they started.

2. I am not sure, show a picture.

3. Yes, there was a spacer plate. Most bases would require the wood be thinned even more but if inletted tight, it would be ok.

4. Have you asked NECG?
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/...ts.php?cat=336
Old December 24, 2021, 07:51 AM   #3
BornFighting88

Sounds something similar to the SSR scope mount for an M98, just devoid of the dowel pins to ensure alignment if taken off. Please post a picture. If I hear or see anything, I’ll come back and post it.
Old January 11, 2022, 07:53 PM   #4
Bent Brass

Sideplate hole pattern

Got a chance to take down the M-S Mod 1952. Here are the holes drilled into the receiver sideplate. Seem like M4×0.7 threads. 8×32 were a little tight. The upper center hole is a dead hole. The lower front and back holes are through-drilled. Oddly, the center-to-center on the front and back holes are just ever so slightly off. (Maybe to keep it from being installed backward?) Based on the poor finish on the other side of the plate where the through-holes come through, it seems like an after-market drilling.
Anyone recognize this hole pattern as to which scope mount might have been attached here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1952 receiver drill.jpg (117.0 KB, 83 views)
Old January 11, 2022, 09:44 PM   #5
Jim Watson

The line drawing of the cover plate in Stoegers has a spot about the location of that center hole.

Tags
mannlicher-schoenauer , scope mount