The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 9, 2021, 11:51 AM   #1
wachtelhund1

Crazy Prices of Used Scopes

I like to put gloss scopes on older vintage rifles, but no one makes gloss scopes any more. The remaining option is to look for used rifle scopes for sale on EBay, Gun Broker and else where. But the prices for good old American made scopes - Leupold, Burris and Redfield are crazy! Some are selling for more than they originally sold for.
Old November 9, 2021, 01:13 PM   #2
Seedy Character

Well, most everything that does not wear out, sells for more than it did new.

My brother bought a Marlin M60 at Walgreen's, for $38, in 1976. I am pretty sure you will not find one today.

Seriously though, I have some spares. What are you looking fir? I will check stash and take some pics.
Old November 9, 2021, 02:20 PM   #3
wachtelhund1

I just purchase a mint Winchester 100, 243 win. I would like to put on something of that period, gloss - Leopold Var-X II or III 3X9, Burris 3x9, or Redfield 3x9. I say 3x9 but 2.5x8, 2x7 will do. I have a number of spares also, but they are matte. Matte scopes just don't look right on vintage rifles with nice walnut stocks. Last night I went through my scope draw and found a nice VARX-III, 2.5X8, 36mm, gloss. I bought it years ago and forgot about it. It had been factory reconditioned. I'm debating switching it out with a Nikon Monarch 4x40 (gloss) that sits on my Winchester 100, .308 win that I'll use next week for deer.

I also have an old Savage 219, single shot purchased this spring. I bought it because someone had done a great job engraving the receiver. It got it with a 22 Hornet barrel and have recently purchased and fitted a 30/30 barrel to it. I drilled and taped both barrels for scope mounts. I have a Leopold M-8 6x36mm on the 30/30 barrel and a Vortex 2x7 on the Hornet, but the Vortex is matte. I made a new but stock with check piece for it and this winter will make a new forearm. A gloss scope would look better on it also.
Old November 9, 2021, 07:53 PM   #4
BornFighting88

Gun shows give you any luck?? Every once in a blue moon someone will have some scopes for sale. Also, there is a LGS back where I grew up that has Goldie oldie scopes for sale on their gunbroker site here and there.
Old November 10, 2021, 12:11 PM   #5
10-96

I thought Hi-Lux still made some glossy scopes, but I guess not. This seems to be about as glossy as they get... which ain't saying much- https://hi-luxoptics.com/products/ma...40330885922983

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 10, 2021, 07:43 PM   #6
BornFighting88

Look for old Redfield or Burris tubes. Those Redfield “TV Monitor” things never cease to impress me.
Old December 13, 2021, 05:31 PM   #7
wachtelhund1

Got a Couple of Gloss Scopes

In my quest for gloss scope I have a couple. First, I went through my draws and found a Leopold VarX III 2.5 x 8 that I bought a number of years ago for $225.00. I had been re-conditioned by Leopold. I received it and stuck it in a draw and forgot about it.

Also, just bought a Redfield Widefield Illuminator 3x9 40mm scope that had been sold several years ago by Vintage Scopes Ltd,. It came with a receipt that listed it as NIB, made in 1991. It also came with Redfield scope caps for $185.00. This was made in the USA. The Illuminator line was Redfield's top of the line scope.

In the mid 1980's to mid 1990's, I was stationed in Germany and hunted there. I hunted pigs at night with German friends. I had on my rifle a Redfield Ultimate Illuminator 3x12 56mm objective with 30mm tube. My German hunting companions were amazed at it light gathering ability compared to their Ziess's which cost four times as much.
Old December 14, 2021, 07:12 PM   #8
BornFighting88

Funny you mention that the Germans were impressed by Yankee glass. A lot of people I know that trust German glass like Zeiss and B&L (if they even still are German), claim that they make the scopes to such tight tolerances that they don’t even need to gas purge them, etc. Also that they were the world’s best glass, superior, etc.

If you can find a Leupold that needs some love for cheap, pick it up. Send it in, they will get it back in action for you and back to you.