When testing the powder charge during load development 8 42.11%
All phases of load development, charge - seating depth- primer choice 4 21.05%
only to get the FPS for scope adjustments 2 10.53%
any time I am at the range practicing 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 14, 2022, 10:59 AM   #1
hounddawg

How often do you use your chrono?

for me the only purpose of a chrono these days is to get my FPS for scope comeups after load development or to check after a large temperature swing

Myself I only use my chronos at the end of my load development. During load resting the POI of the rounds tells me everything I need. I shoot short range benchrest at 100 and 200 and long range F class out to 850 yards and I could care less what the statistics say. All that matters to me is where those rounds hit. I have yet to find a load that shoots bugholes at 100 yards when developing a load that did not hold up at long range.

Last edited by hounddawg; January 14, 2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old January 14, 2022, 12:49 PM   #2
tangolima

I use Chrono, upgraded to labradar, mostly to verify GRT simulation results. Not really care the speed variation either. I also use the trend of POI to find loads for accuracy.

We have been in lean years. I have to use whatever components available for handloading, including powders that have limited load information. GRT (similar to quickload) is very handy. But I need to collect test results to verify / calibrate the model.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 14, 2022, 04:31 PM   #3
Reloadron

My Chronograph is an older Oehler 35P I use it maybe three times a year if working up a new load or occasionally to see if primers or brass with the same charge make any difference in velocity. That old Oehler was a gift from the wife over 20 years ago and still does the job just fine.

Ron
Old January 14, 2022, 05:40 PM   #4
MarkCO

You did not give me the choice for my answer...

All phases of load development, charge - seating depth- AND to get the FPS for scope adjustments.

When I go to the range and the rifle has 500+ rounds on it since the last chrono. I will check it. I also chrono some factory and some known reloads out of a new barrel/rifle. When it settles, I know I can then start working on a load for it. Most of the time, just a small tweak from a prior load if in the same caliber.

I also use it to check a rifle out for changes in velocity due to other than perfect fundamentals during practice.
Old January 14, 2022, 06:39 PM   #5
hounddawg

Quote:
You did not give me the choice for my answer...
guess I should have had a choice - A heckuva lot !

thought I had that covered with choice 5 lol
Old January 14, 2022, 06:55 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

You needed a "Other" option for you poll.

I use a Chronograph for the following.
Working up loads
Testing primers
When shooting rifles to re-verify velocity if i'm in a different location, or temps have changed a fair bit.

I have never used a chrono when testing seating depths. One I have my powder charge set I adjust in 0.003 increments, I found it made no difference in my use to velocity, only adjusted when the bullet left the barrel for stable spot in the harmonics.

as far as frequency, I use it pretty regularly, generally every other outing, sometimes more.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; January 17, 2022 at 06:41 PM.
Old January 15, 2022, 09:02 AM   #7
std7mag

I didn't see the option i would have chosen in the poll.

I use mine after i find my powder charge. FPS is, what it will be. Mostly looking at ES/SD.
If they are acceptable to me, then i'll use the velocity to plug into my ballistics calculator, and shoot at distance to true my velocity.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 15, 2022, 10:03 AM   #8
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
I have never used a chrono when testing seating depths. One I have my powder charge set I adjust in 0.003 increments, I found it made no difference in my use to velocity, only adjusted when the bullet left the barrel for stable spot in the harmonics.
I generally agree, but I still leave it on as a double check.
Old January 15, 2022, 10:05 AM   #9
Stugotz

99% of the time while I am at the range. I record the weather conditions in a booklet that I have for that rifle along with all of the data on the particular load I am shooting at the time. I will refer back to a particular entry to see what best matches the current conditions I will be shooting in on that particular day. Oh, and I have been using a LabRadar for a few years now.
Old January 16, 2022, 03:11 PM   #10
jmr40

Usually only when developing a new load just to ensure I'm not getting too close to an overload. Once I'm happy with a load I almost never use it. In fact I've pretty much settled on which loads I use and haven't used mine in a while. But I'd not want to try to develop loads without one.

Using the data to enter into a ballistics chart is secondary. I do it, but for what I do I don't think it is all that important. I'm not going to be shooting past 600 at the range and probably no more than 1/2 that at game. Not that much difference in bullet drop at those ranges with anything I shoot.

Sometimes just for fun I set it up. Can be interesting to see what type of velocity I get with different rifles.

Winston Churchill
Old January 16, 2022, 03:33 PM   #11
pete2

I have one but seldom use it, more fun to be shooting. I have used it to check vel. on air rifles and some pistol loads for power factor. I did check some of my .38 in a 642 revolver. Never used it on a high power rifle or a .22. I develop rifle loads for accuracy per the loading manual. Only for hunting rifles, no long range target shooting.
Old January 17, 2022, 09:53 AM   #12
Nathan

When I bought a Labradar, it tripled my usage because it is soooo easy to setup.
Old February 21, 2022, 10:45 PM   #13
Plainsman

Load development and checking rimfire loads/velocities for MPBR.
Also, anytime I’m using a newer load in a different season for the first time.
Old February 22, 2022, 12:10 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

I pretty much only use mine when I am trying out new ammo or need to determine the velocity of an already chrono'd ammo in a different gun.
Old February 23, 2022, 03:07 AM   #15
Pathfinder45

I quit using it after I shot it.
Old March 14, 2022, 09:11 AM   #16
iosteyee

I use mine after finding an accurate load. Though I've found lab radar to be more accurate than any chrono I've tried.
Old March 21, 2022, 11:34 AM   #17
Bart B.

Never used one for load development.

Only used one to see the different average velocities across several people using the same rifle and ammo.

Last edited by Bart B.; March 21, 2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old March 21, 2022, 06:52 PM   #18
Hawg

I don't have one. Never needed one.
Old March 24, 2022, 05:20 AM   #19
bacardisteve

Anytime im working on a new load. Helps to identify nodes of I run them over chrono. Im always looking for single digit es/sd If i can get it. The farther you shoot the more its going to matter. A 35fps spread wont show itself shooting groups out to 300yds or so without a chrono but take that same load out farther and it will quickly ruin your groups and at 1k yds may cause you to miss altogether.
Old March 26, 2022, 02:32 AM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Actually quit using the one I had a couple decades ago...
Old March 27, 2022, 10:35 AM   #21
Bart B.

If the bullets leave the barrel at the right place on the muzzle axis upswing, slower ones will strike the same place on downrange targets as faster ones.

Tuners change the muzzle axis vibration frequency to make that happen.
Old March 27, 2022, 09:31 PM   #22
cjp45

I have two chronos. One is an old Pact PC 2 that I use when working up and testing loads for handguns. The other one is a Magneto-Speed V3 which I use for working up and testing loads for rifles.
Old March 30, 2022, 10:10 AM   #23
bamaranger

Depends

When first acquired, [ ran all my favorite loads through mine . Very enlightening, some were spot on for velocity, most were slow.

These days, used with load development or switching powders.