The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2018, 03:45 PM   #26
Wendyj

I got into a mess when I brought this one home. I loaded chamber full of some I had loaded for the Remlin 30-30 and when I chambered the first one it wouldn't engage the pin on the lever to fire. Stopped aa tad short. I finally squeezed it hard enough to fire the first round and done it for 3 more. I finally turned the die down about a 1/4 turn going in light increments until the brass fit after re sizing and it's good to go now. Shoulders not back far enough my guess.
Old March 23, 2018, 10:55 AM   #27
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Sorry for being late to your show Wendyj.
Next time you purchase give this business place some consideration for your cast bullet needs.
To be honest {I }prefer old school gas checks vs coatings of un-known chems which may or may not be a Carcinogen when handling or after digestion. (game fragramentation.)

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...np5vcqgl9hobl5

Check out their WIDE HP 150 gr. Its a dandy for 30-30 use.
Old March 23, 2018, 05:10 PM   #28
mehavey

Quote:
I finally turned the die down about a 1/4 turn going in light increments until the brass fit after re sizing
Wendy, you need a set of These.
You'll never have to trial & error with the actual rifle again.
Old March 23, 2018, 05:23 PM   #29
Wendyj

Those are good looking bullets. Wish I had seen this before ordering the other ones. I ran a few loads of H4895 through at 21-28 grains. Going to stick with 22.5 grains. Blackened soot on brass at lower and higher. Now to see how much lead I'll be cleaning. Waiting on M die but a fired 270 round with a few turns in the 30-30 neck let it seat perfect with no shaving of lead. Hodgdon called for 17 to 21 grains with soft cast but case not half full at 17. These are a lot harder but now I'm going to have to order the ones in the link.
Old March 23, 2018, 05:59 PM   #30
gwpercle

Nothing wrong with trial and error with the actual rifle. That's the best way to insure the round will feed , chamber and extract in the actual rifle you are using.
And it the cost is $0.00.
Wendyj...keep on with your trial and error method , you doing just fine.
Gary