The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 17, 2018, 05:01 AM   #1
Road_Clam

Getting jerked around by customer support

This is really starting to become more frequent with me over the past few years. About 6 months ago I bought a Burris XTR II F class scope and long story short the windage reference "L" and "R" markings on the turret knobs are incorrectly reversed relative to the true knob rotation. I have a second Burris XTR II scope and it's the exact same turrets and they are referenced correctly. I brought this issue to Burris Customer Service and I was basically told is a stupid and insulting reply "That's the way our scopes are". This is a $1300 scope, not like it's a $200 china scope. I'm dam aggravated about just being totally blown off.

I also have a new Pedersoli Harper's Ferry flintlock pistol that I bought on an impulse and unfortunately I come to find out the lock is a total POS design and has major issues with misfires. Again I email Pedersoli customer service asking why and for some halp and after about 3 emails basically Pedersoli is totally denying any "lock issues". I'm getting totally stupid "Band-Aid" fix suggestions from Pedersoli. I's well know issue with the HF's bad lock geometry on the net. It's just getting so aggravating when you pay good money for an item expecting it to function well and you have a legitimate issue that abruptly gets denied.

Last edited by Road_Clam; March 17, 2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old March 17, 2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Mike38

It's not just the two companies mentioned, it's pretty much all companies. Share holders want money, they don't want excuses, they want money. Cash is King, customer satisfaction is secondary. It's only going to get worse.
Old March 17, 2018, 09:39 AM   #3
BarryLee

I’m not making excuses for how you were treated, but as a whole we as consumers are to blame. Basically, everyone says they want excellent customer service, but they turn around and spend their money at the place with the lowest price. Companies see the general trend and respond according. At the end of the day people will tolerate bad service for cheaper prices I mean why else would Walmart exist.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 17, 2018, 10:49 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

Has to make you wonder who's making that scope with the reversed letters. I bought a new Bushnell a couple of years ago with the same thing. I contacted them and they sent me a new scope immediately. I found their response to be very prompt and customer focused.
Old March 17, 2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Mike38

Quote:
Has to make you wonder who's making that scope with the reversed letters.
Speculation on my part, but the plate / decal / whatever that has the reversed letters was probably used on a previous model. They had 10K of them on a shelf in the warehouse and decided to use them up before installing the correct item. This goes back to catering to the share holders rather than the customer. That, or they made thousands of scopes with the incorrect lettering, and rather than rework or recall, just sell them and make excuses, and hope for the best.

I'm an electrician by trade, and see this weekly. Recently installed 285 high bay LED lights in a factory. Before the job was completed, the first of the lights started failing. Long story short, the company that made these lights knew the problem, they installed faulty drivers (ballasts) in the fixtures. Thousands of the faulty drivers got mixed in with good ones, and rather than correct the problems by reworking / recalling, they decided to ship and hope for the best. This literally cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions), and loss of future sales because the electric supply house I got these lights from dropped the company.
Old March 17, 2018, 01:52 PM   #6
jmr40

If the scope works well otherwise having the turret knobs wrong wouldn't cause me to lose one minute of sleep.

Winston Churchill
Old March 17, 2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38
Speculation on my part, but the plate / decal / whatever that has the reversed letters was probably used on a previous model. They had 10K of them on a shelf in the warehouse and decided to use them up before installing the correct item. This goes back to catering to the share holders rather than the customer. That, or they made thousands of scopes with the incorrect lettering, and rather than rework or recall, just sell them and make excuses, and hope for the best.
Here's a pic of my Burris XTR II scope. How would you feel trying to correctly dope for a windage adjustment at 600 yds looking at the knob from a prone position shooting hold ?

Just for clarification, the directional arrow on the side of the turret cap represents the correct poi movement.

This is a black and white incorrect turret cap indexing issue. Nothing here to interpret as an opinion or "I think it's not right". Like I commented I got a stupid and insulting reply from Burris "that's the way our scopes are" . Contradictary to what i'm being told by Burris, I have another XTR II scope that IS correctly reference indexed on the windage cap. I tried to explain this fact to Burris via a return email reply and thereafter I got NO replies back from Burris.

Last edited by Road_Clam; March 17, 2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old March 17, 2018, 03:35 PM   #8
mellow_c

That's weird. . .

Did you send these pictures to Burris in the email? I've had to contact Burris once for a scope issue and they took care of me no problem. I would think that if they could see this miss marked turret for them selves they would gladly correct it or do something to get you squared away.

I also just did a quick search of images online, and you are correct. The top hash marks should be "R" and the bottom should be "L" so that turning the turret counter clockwise would be "Right" and clockwise would be "Left" based on what I'm seeing but yours is opposite of that, but the marks on the side of the cap are correct.

Weird.

Just do what you can to show them the picture... Maybe the guy didn't understand over the phone?

You could even call them and say "Hello Mr customer service guy, I have a problem, I would like to email you a picture of it so you can see it while on the phone with me." Then there is no hoping they respond to the email, or misunderstanding through words on the phone. A picture is worth 1000 words.

Good luck

Last edited by mellow_c; March 17, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old March 17, 2018, 03:37 PM   #9
Road_Clam

Yes, sent these exact reference pics to Burris via our emails.
Old March 17, 2018, 03:51 PM   #10
mellow_c

How long ago did you send the email?

No matter what, just keep pressing the issue, someone there will take care of it for you eventually. It might be a frustrating process, but I'm sure you will get the proper cap out of it, and for free no doubt.

Other than all that. How do you like the scope?